Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #1

Protection while traveling. Whats legal?

Traveling from Pa to Florida in our motorhome and only have concealed permit for Pa. Is it legal to have shotgun in motorhome when going through these states? Feel like that some protection would be a good idea.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe a shotgun stored in a gun case unloaded with the ammo stored separately would be fine. But, that's just my opinion, to get the facts, call the states you will be traveling through.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #3

Get a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Karpas. Inexpensive, updated regularly (minimum annually), available to purchase online.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #4

Go to Concealed Carry - Resources, Maps, Forums, Articles - USA Carry to see where your permit is legal.
Go to Handgunlaw.us to see digest of state gun laws.

Good Luck?
Wil
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
www.gunlaws.com/links
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I never leave home without them, loaded and accessible.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I think I'd rather have mine loaded ready and hidden from view but accessible and be alive to answer the police's questions as to it's legality when they ask me which door or window did the deceased perpetrator enter again?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

You don't need a CC to transport a long gun in most any state in the USA. I would not make a trip down the east coast of the this country without some protection. If its under the bed or in a closet loaded who is going to care. I keep a loaded 357 snub nose revolver between the drivers seat and the wall on the floor. In a little soft case. It's out of sight and out of mind for the most part. Under the bed we keep an AR15 in a tactical case, loaded with a 30 shot mag and 2 more 30 shot mags in the case. In the toad I have a 22 mag 8 round revolver snub nose. Also have a double barrel 22 mag derringer handy in case I feel the need to conceal carry. Been lusting after a 357 sig glock. May have to be a birthday present. Picked up 4 new ARs and a couple of revolvers in the past 2 weeks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

We use the much more mundane protection of wasp spray. It will go 20 feet and incapicitate anyone it strikes in the eyes.

Question for those of you who "pack heat" in your RV. Have any of you ever had to use your protection?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
You don't need a CC to transport a long gun in most any state in the USA. I would not make a trip down the east coast of the this country without some protection. If its under the bed or in a closet loaded who is going to care. I keep a loaded 357 snub nose revolver between the drivers seat and the wall on the floor. In a little soft case. It's out of sight and out of mind for the most part. Under the bed we keep an AR15 in a tactical case, loaded with a 30 shot mag and 2 more 30 shot mags in the case. In the toad I have a 22 mag 8 round revolver snub nose. Also have a double barrel 22 mag derringer handy in case I feel the need to conceal carry. Been lusting after a 357 sig glock. May have to be a birthday present. Picked up 4 new ARs and a couple of revolvers in the past 2 weeks.
Holy Moly...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post

If you ever have a fire in that coach I wouldn't want to be anywhere within ten miles of it!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best protection you can carry is a working brain.. I'm serious.. Any weapon save the empty hand can be taken from you and used against you.

Your brains won't work if taken from you. And thus can not be used against you.. EXCEPT BY YOU.

An example..... For example. I have pulled into a place where I though about spending the night.... Looked about me.. and re-thought.. Used the best protection device in the motor home (The ignition key) and parked elsewhere. I've done this a few times and so far I've not had to give anyone a size 9 (inch) cast iron hard hat as a parting gift. (think about it and you'll figure it out).
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We use the much more mundane protection of wasp spray. It will go 20 feet and incapicitate anyone it strikes in the eyes.

Question for those of you who "pack heat" in your RV. Have any of you ever had to use your protection?
I have friends who have had a need for their "protection". Have you ever used your wasp spray ...or know anyone who did ...on a human attacker? I know of no event where that has been an effective defense. I would not rely on it for anything other than a brief interruption to allow me to bring a more effective defense to bear ...a fire extinguisher would likely be as effective, and every RV should have more than one on board.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Guys the OP asked about the legality of carrying a particular weapon on a particular trip. Let's not take this off track and down the "how many guns are enough and when to use them" path.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Closed Thread