Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
I think the best advise I can offer is to stop advertising with bumper stickers, warning signs saying beware of owner, gun club emblems and the like. Keep your gun a secret and use it only as a last resort. Be a responsible gun owner and keep a level head. There is a saying... I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by six. I would rather be alive and explain to the police and the courts why the burglar/mugger/rapist/psycho is dead on the floor then be plant fodder somewhere. JMHO
X2.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
defense

Its so sad that this day and time this discussion even has to take place--when I was young --doors werent locked etc.. If someone is a threat to you or your family--even another person--eliminate that threat--period. I was on the local swat team years ago--we had to be "gassed"as part of our training--If I was really intent on causing someone harm--pepper spray/ gas, etc.. wouldnt stop me me-it could allow you to reach safety--point is--better to be alive and in trouble, than dead and have complied with the law---BUT-knowing local laws is always a good idea--I live in N.C. and gun laws are better here than in some other states. I hope and pray that none of you ever have to make this decision,but if you do,--live. Just my opinion--Vince--Hope this doesnt offend anyone
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #45

Back to the original OP, I say if you feel the need yourself to carry a gun then research the laws and carry one. Don't base it on if everyone else thinks they are Wyatt Earp, do what you want.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #46
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
One of the reasons all ammo except that which is on my belt is in the fire resistant safe, both at home and in the MH.

While we are free (to some degree) to own weapons and ammunition, it comes with a requirement to be responsible.
X2... Good point.

In the RV I have a biometric fingerprint lock and at home a cypher lock walk in vault. No risk of ammo for fire fighters. The propane tank is the real hazard.

To the OP, I have the fire proof biometric safe left of the drivers seat with three of my fingers registered. It may help in some states as a secure transport.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #47
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Ammo and fires;

Quote:
The Expert Deferral:

NRA technical expert Julian Hatcher and his team conducted numerous tests. Page 145 of "The NRA Fact Book" states:
“When small arms ammunition is burned, cartridge cases may burst open and bits of brass may fly about, but not with any great velocity, and usually not with force enough to be dangerous to life. The bullets generally have even less velocity than the brass cartridge cases, and it is necessary for the powder to be rather strongly confined to develop any velocity in a bullet. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures’ Institute (SAMMI) reported a demonstration made by taking a large quantity of metallic cartridges and shotgun shells and burning them in a fire of oil soaked wood. The cartridges and shells exploded from time to time, but there was no general explosion of throwing off of bullets or shot to any distance. … The test showed that small arms ammunition when subjected to fire will not explode simultaneously but piece by piece, and then the material of which the cartridge and shells are composed will usually not fly more than a few feet.”
Subsequently, NRA staff conducted similar tests and surrounded the fire with cardboard. They found that neither the cases nor the bullets that flew any distance had enough energy to penetrate the cardboard.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Ammo and fires;
Every time I visit this forum I get smarter.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, certainly "NRA technical expert Julian Hatcher and his team" constitute a more reliable authority on the subject of fires than actual firefighters themselves.

What a great relief it must be to firefighters everywhere that they've been proven to be nothing but a big bunch of lilylivered alarmists by yet another member of the only panel of experts that matters: The National Rifle Association.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone took a lucid pill.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #51

Me, I just carry a two-stroke chainsaw. Legal everywhere and terrifying to everyone

Just kidding.

But don't forget about the value of things like airhorns (the kind powered by a small can) and bright lights (check out ultra-high powered flashlights like the Streamlight) Most times it's all about disorientation and making a racket to send people scurrying away.

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Holy crap batman that seemed a bit vicious
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Ammo and fires;
X2
Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We use the much more mundane protection of wasp spray. It will go 20 feet and incapicitate anyone it strikes in the eyes.

Question for those of you who "pack heat" in your RV. Have any of you ever had to use your protection?
Yes!
In WY when a couple of Spanish speaking "gentlemen" decided I looked like a victum. Didn't have to do anything but show them I was armed, so they hurridly left.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Well, certainly "NRA technical expert Julian Hatcher and his team" constitute a more reliable authority on the subject of fires than actual firefighters themselves.

What a great relief it must be to firefighters everywhere that they've been proven to be nothing but a big bunch of lilylivered alarmists by yet another member of the only panel of experts that matters: The National Rifle Association.
Route 66 is right. Unless a round is chambered in a barrel it cannot generate enough pressure to propel the bullet over a few feet. Five gallons of gas or 5 gallons of propane are way more explosive then a case of high power rifle amo. And dangerous. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun! (Quote NRA)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonyB View Post
Besides interstate road travel legality, you also have to worry about campground rules. Every state park that I've camped in, forbids firearms.
Don't tell them, don't sit outside cleaning them and don't shoot at Bambi while there.
Closed Thread