Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

pulling a trailer with a class A

I am in the market for an enclosed trailer to haul my car in I am going to pull it behind my 38' class A. I am told I need an extended tongue. (60'') . A dealer said that was not necessary and that a 48" would work just fine. I realize dealers are there to make sales, but I think I need to stick to my guns on the 60" tongue.
I am also torn between a V nose or flat nose. The V would give me extra room for my tool boxes etc.
I have searched the web and there is very little if any information on this subject.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
rhanson5911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #2

as long as your Coach can turn freely, it shouldn't matter WHICH you choose...

the receiver is right below the tail end of the coach, so neither should be a problem, though it would seem that a Vnose would allow a little more wiggle room if in a very hard turn.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I've been towing a 26ft enclosed race trailer with my older Bird the last 17 yrs. 9700 lbs loaded and hardly know its there on the Flats.
I have the extended tongue which provides additional turning radius and use the WD Hitch set up .
I don't see the advantage of a V- Nose at all, except for loss of space in the Trailer. Before the Hitch and Weight Police arrive on here-- I've had no issues at All!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

you go CHUCK!

by the way, if you've been to Alaska, you'll see ANYTHING and EVERYTHING and will never ask again what you 'can' do.... it's been done!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

Go to a lumber supply and buy a strip of wood 1" X 2" X 8' long. cut it in half and fasten the end of one piece to an end of the other piece forming a 90* angle. Then hold one open end on the hitch ball and swing the 90* around till it hits the back of the motorhome. That's how far you will be able to turn with a 48" tongue before the trailer would hit the coach if it was on level ground. On uneven ground, it would be less. Then slide the hitch end 12" away from the ball and see what a 60" tongue would do. Might surprize you. You could get by with a 4' tongue if you were very careful, but a 54" or 60" tongue makes a big difference.

I towed a 26' enclosed trailer with a 54" tongue loaded to 12,000# for a few years without any problems. The tapered front would give you more floor space ar allow you to tow a shorter trailer. My son just went to a 26' enclosed with a tapered nose with 7,000# axles to carry his offroad Jeep and Scion car plus a complete shop setup with welder and builtin fuel tank for the Jeep. He has a 60" tongue and a 2000# tongue weight. His coach has a 25,000# hitch so he is ok.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Go to a lumber supply and buy a strip of wood 1" X 2" X 8' long. cut it in half and fasten the end of one piece to an end of the other piece forming a 90* angle. Then hold one open end on the hitch ball and swing the 90* around till it hits the back of the motorhome. That's how far you will be able to turn with a 48" tongue before the trailer would hit the coach if it was on level ground. On uneven ground, it would be less. Then slide the hitch end 12" away from the ball and see what a 60" tongue would do. Might surprize you. You could get by with a 4' tongue if you were very careful, but a 54" or 60" tongue makes a big difference.
Great exercise if your up to it but in my world I don't see many enclosed trailers at all without a 60in tongue!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

Go with the 60" tongue. I have pulled race car trailers for years and haven't had a ladder problem since I went to 60". My next trailer that I just ordered is coming with a 27 inch V nose. It is also extra tall for a more useable footprint. Extra foot high also means longer ramp door so it is better for losing your vehicle or bikes. 8.5 wide is also the best way to go. If you are dredging something down the road make sure you max your available space for the length of trailer you are buying. I have had to bunch of trailers over the last 30 years and every one I ordered is a learning experience. I hope this helps.
alnewmar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

regular tongue here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585 (1).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	169594  
rradracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

I recently purchased an enclosed trailer to tow my UTV in, we went with the V nose trailer, hardly any difference in cost and the V nose is added onto the inside length of the trailer so you will actually gain, not loose interior space. On my trailer the V nose added 21" of interior space over the same length of blunt nose trailer and out the door was less than 100 bucks difference. I think the V nose give more piece of mind in tight turns without additional tongue length and that extra 21" of length makes for extra storage.
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #10

Go with the extended hitch. I have nearly 500,000 miles pulling trailers with motor homes. A longer hitch is easier to back, and tows better.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
With an enclosed trailer you also need to look at the top of the trailer box for clearance when starting up a steep incline while turning. A short tongue could bring the top very close to the back of the motorhome.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 AM   #12

Thanks for all the information. I have decided to go with the extended tongue. I also noticed while shopping around there are 2 types of V nose trailers. One type extends about 3' and the other is only about 1 1/2 ft. I think I will go with the shorter V in front which will still allow ample room for a rolling tool box and shelf and still let me walk around my car. And I would not have to worry about tight tips and turns.
Now all I have to do is get ambitious and figure out how to wire up a brake controller.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You might get lucky with the brake controller if your motorhome is pre-wired for one, mine was and it sure made it easy.
On my last installation I used a "Hopkins 47297 INSIGHT Brake Control" which allowed me to mount the 3 components where I wanted them. Display where I can see it, hand control where I can reach it, and the main controller box out of sight.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #14

Unfortunately my coach is not wired for a brake controller.The guy that had it before me has botched a lot of the wiring along with other cobble jobs throughout the unit.
I guess I cant complain I bought it cheap enough but I find I am having to rework everything under the dash and in the motor compartment.
There is not much info on the net for wiring a motorhome so if anyone has an idea of how I can wire this up it would be greatly appreciated.
I thought about getting a wireless unit but with all the expenses I have had so far I just don't want to spend another 3 to 4 hundred bux for the wireless unit. I did contact some RV dealers in the area but non of the wire up brake controllers. Oh yea they will sell you one but you are on your own from there.

Tags
class a, trailer