Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Pulling and Launching a boat with a Class A

Well I just purchased my first class A, it is a 1996 Winnebago Brave 30' on the Chevy P30 chassis, with 454 fuel injected and has tow package.

I also own a 21 foot bow rider, and I want to pull the boat once or twice a year with us on vacation. Does anyone have any experience pulling a boat such as mine with a class A?? Furthermore, does anyone have any experience launching a boat with a class A??

I want to know what to expect, what to be aware of, etc. etc. I would imagine that some lauch ramps may be a challenge with a class A?

just relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm thinking pulling it out might present a problem. Bunch of weight, slippery ramp.......
Maybe unhook and ask somebody with a 4X4 to do the ramp thing in and out.

Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

I've seen motor homes with a receiver hitch on the front so they can launch and retrieve a boat. But I've never seen it done.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
I pull my 18' all the time with my DP. I also launch with the MH. The rear tires never get into the water do to the long overhang. All of the launches I have done were on large ramps and I try to avoid other traffic if possible. I usally chock the rear tires when launching and loading just for peace of mind. As far as pulling, don't know its back there.
The important thing is to make sure everything in the MH is secure since the ramps are usaully sloped fairly steep.
Don & Bunny
05 Discovery
06 Saturn ION toad manual 5 spd
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
I have never had an issue pulling my 24' boat behind my 37'DP. I usually walk the ramp before pulling in if it looks tight. Like above, my rear tires don't touch touch the water writhe.
Colorful Colorado
2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
Cummins 8.3L ISC
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
32 foot gasser, 23 foot boat, no problems in or out.
2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Full time in 2013
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Thanks for everyone's input, does not sound like I should have any problems!
just relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
My son has often borrowed the MH to travel with his boat. However, he travels with a group and someone always has a pickup for lauching and retreval.
Many insurance plans, mine included, do not cover the MH when on a launch ramp.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I travel most of the time with my Waverunners. most of the time, since I do travel alone, I launch and retreive by myself. Never had a problem on a boat ramp. Since my Brother -in-law got his 40' DP, when we travel together, I usually haul the double, (17' boat, his, and Waverunners, mine. Then he hauls the pontoon, or the bike trailer depending on where we are going to. His 40 footer is just too long to haul the double anymore. Anyway, The double pulls like a dream, just have to remember I'm close to 75' long. Makes for some interesting on ramp adventures.
Damn, I'm Good!
"I've got dozzens of friends, and the fun never ends, that is, as long as I'm buying."
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Just don't launch the houseboat, like this gal:
Motor Home Plunges Into Mission Bay - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH w/MBE926
Park City, UT
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just launched my 16.5' runabout for the first time. Pulling is no problem. Backing up down a ramp for the first time was a challenge. Since you can really only see the boat using the mirrors, I aligned the RV and boat straight with the ramp and backed up so the boat went semi-straight backwards. Had to go forward a couple of times. I have a short motorcycle trailer that is almost impossible to back up. The longer the trailer the easier it is.
I did wear shorts and the water is still cold. The RV tires were just touching the water so I could not get in the boat without getting wet.
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 20' center console I tow no problem. When I launch usually can get someone at the marina to do it not fond of using the motorhome especially on shallow and dirt ramps
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our first MH we had a hitch on front and on back, when we got to the ramp we simply unhooked the receiver block and turned the MH around then pushed the boat into the water. I loved it since I could see where I was going on the ramps and the drive tires never came close to getting on a slick spot.
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
This topic is of particular interest to me. The ability to tow our boat is one of the reasons we wanted either a class A or C. Now that we're going with a 37' class A I've wondered about launching and retrieving the boat.

I like the option of a front hitch, so I think I'm going to ask around and see if I can have one installed. With being a new RV'er I'm a little extra worried about dirt ramps and slick ramps. I'd really hate to get stuck.

static is offline   Reply With Quote