Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Unhappy Pump switch

help again I had a bad pump switch. I replaced the switch in the bathroom and it still will not work. I bought the motorhome used last fall and the guy never fixed anything. if it broke he unhooked it. smoke alarm he turned batteries around latches on doors he taped etc etc. I think when the switch in the bathroom broke he unhooked it and I don't know from where. any ideas?? coach is a 2002 Winnebago journey 32 foot. one switch for the water pump is on the panel one outside at the water sewer hookup and one in the bathroom others work but the bathroom one does not. Thanks in advance for the help Joe
joe5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

pump switch

Don't know if yours are like mine (mine are spring loaded with light) if so, try swapping the wires. I know that when I replaced the bulbs (diodes) in my switches that they would not work if I reversed the polarity.
Good luck,
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

also put a volt meter to your wiring as a start if you have not already done it.
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5165 View Post
help again I had a bad pump switch. I replaced the switch in the bathroom and it still will not work. I bought the motorhome used last fall and the guy never fixed anything. if it broke he unhooked it. smoke alarm he turned batteries around latches on doors he taped etc etc. I think when the switch in the bathroom broke he unhooked it and I don't know from where. any ideas?? coach is a 2002 Winnebago journey 32 foot. one switch for the water pump is on the panel one outside at the water sewer hookup and one in the bathroom others work but the bathroom one does not. Thanks in advance for the help Joe
Just to let you know ... your pump switches are connected to a controller.
Intellitec RV Water Pump Contol Unit 00-00145-100

You could try switching the pump switches and if it is not the switch it may be the controller.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
More than likely your problem is either that specific switch or the supply wires to that switch.

Since the other two switches work as advertised then it is NOT your Water Pump Latching Controller.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec Water Pump Controller.pdf (294.9 KB, 52 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Hello Joe5165,
Although I have a newer Newmar (2010), all the MH manufactures "follow" that same design.
1. Using an Intellic Controller
2. Straight Wiring
First and foremost, you need to identify which system you have. In the case of the Intellic controller, this is a black box mounted near your water pump. If this is the case, then each switch "sends" a ground signal to the controller. All the switches are wired in parallel - i.e. one side of the switch is wired to ground, the other or switched side send the ground signal (when turned on) to the controller.
In the case of not using an electronic controller (i.e. to save money), each switch side is wired to +12 volts. The switch side of is then wired to the pump. When any of the switches are turned on, it "sends" +12 volts to the pump.
If you have an electronic controller, then the bad switch location is missing the essential ground. You must use an ohm meter between a known good ground and one side of the switch.
In the case where the switch is wired for +12 volts, you need to use a voltmeter to make sure one side of the switch has power.
Best Regards
Mark S.
2010 Newmar 4317 Tax Axle, ISL 425HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

water pump switch

thanks for all the help have not figured out the problem yet. I took the old switch out and the previous owner has unhooked all the wires. I found out that the switch has 6 poles, one white wire is a ground, I have 3 hot wires and the other two I don't know. 12 volt switch, I just don't know which poles they hook into. Hooked them up once and popped the fuse, so maybe time to take it in. Thanks for all the help though you guys gave me a lot of good ideas!!!! Joe
Old 06-01-2016, 05:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Unhooking all of the wires renders a switch pretty useless. Great discovery. More than likely the previous owner had removed the wires before labeling all of them correctly and then had no clue as to how they should go back onto the switch. So he just left them off. Maybe he had to replace the switch for some reason.

Is this switch an ON/OFF switch or a Momentary switch?

If it is a Momentary switch does it go in both directions, UP and also DOWN?

Makes a BIG difference how each one is wired.

You could remove one of the other two switches that is working to see if it is the same configuration.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

Maybe he pulled all the hot wires because the kids were playing with it.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #10

switch is not an on off switch, it is what they call a rocker switch. the other 2 switches have only 2 wires each, that's why I think they feed to this one. I have 2 hots and 2 grounds from the other switches and 1 hot and 1 ground from this switch making a total of 6 wires coming in, and the other 2 switches are on and off switches with 2 wires each. The rocker switch when you turn it on it rocks back to the center of switch.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That switch is called a Momentary switch. You can rock it in either direction to activate the Water Pump Latching Controller. It will always come back to the center position which is the neutral position.

Sounds to me like the previous owner tried to replace the switch which could have also been an ON/OFF type with what is there now BUT didn't know how to wire it correctly.

I would suggest taking it to someone who knows electrical wiring and have them wire it up correctly for you.

I could do it but I'd have to be there to get it right.

What you stated in your post, "I have 2 hots and 2 grounds from the other switches and 1 hot and 1 ground from this switch making a total of 6 wires coming in" doesn't make any sense to me. Basically you have 6 wires at that location and one empty switch. It is a matter of identifying what each wire is and where does it go.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #12

RIchard. Thanks for the Information. I think your idea of taking it to someone is good as I'm pretty confused. Thanks for your help. Joe

Tags
switch