Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I believe the insurance will pay, but require you to get the correct license in order to keep your insurance.
I find that a little strange.
Insurance pays and tells you "I realize you mowed those people over in their car and killed them. We see you were not licensed properly to operate that vehicle but go get the correct license and everything will be OK". Ahaha... FAT CHANCE WITH THAT.

Why play around in the first place?.....................Just get the proper license and training if required. Most people have the mentality that "I can drive a pick-up truck so this can't be such a big deal". That's all fine until get involved in an accident and maybe injure or kill someone. Now try back peddle and get yourself out of that situation.
Just like most that have little or no knowledge of an "Air Brake" system and just climb up behind the wheel with the whole idea "If I push on this brake pedal it stops".
Our insurance companies up here would chew you up and spit you out. I guess some people get used to living in a lenient society.

DON'T TAKE ALL THE BAD ADVICE. GO GET THE REQUIRED LICENSE...
Then drive it home without any worries.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Rather neurotic on some of these posts! Just do it! If you are comfortable driving that rig, then take it home. The odds of something negative occurring are in your favor; if your constitution prevents you from taking the chance, then pursue every avenue of legality and we will meet you on the road in a couple of months/years/maybe never. Live, don't exist.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #31

Only thing I'm neurotic about is spending this much money on a coach. I've just read so much here on all the problems everyone has with all the different brands and I just don't want any of it. The Newell seems to be the best built coach out there. You just don't find complaints about them on the dedicated Newell forums. It is just a shame that you have to spend a million dollars or more to get such quality and capacity. Maybe it is guilt from my catholic up bringing, like buying a Bentley when a chevy will get ya there. Oh well, can't take it with me and the kids won't need it so....
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #32

Whew! This is as contentious as any of the threads dealing with guns, LLCs, disabling DRLs, Walmart "camping," etc. when it comes to giving advice on whether you should drive legally or take a chance on not getting caught without the proper license.

If we have to pick sides, I'm with TRAILERKING. I'm with not taking the chance. It's not about getting caught and getting cited by a Texas LEO for not being properly licensed but is more about the insurance problem, in my opinion.

In talking with the attorneys I use, the burden is mine to be in compliance pertaining to being properly licensed in the state of my residence. It's not my insurance company's responsibility to check and make sure I'm legally licensed at any given time where I could be involved in an accident where I might be found negligent or at fault resulting in loss of lives. I'm told from a legal standpoint that if I am not properly licensed in the state of my residence then my liability insurance is essentially null and void. That's my understanding and I know some might disagree.

Sure, the chance of being in an accident where somebody dies as a result of you having contributory negligence may not be great but no matter how safe a driver you may be, the chance still exists and I'm sure you'd hate to be financially wiped out because of a chance you didn't have to take. A Newell coach is heavy so you could be maneuvering a 50,000+ pound brick down the road that you're not really familiar with driving --that professional bus drivers have to take hours of training to learn to drive safely. To jump into the seat with no training, no insurance, and not properly licensed is something I personally would not want to risk if I were in your shoes. Yes, chances are good that you would be able to do it without any problems but it's that 1% chance where all the stars line up where you find yourself in a catastrophic accident with no liability insurance.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestion on how you should go about buying the coach before getting properly licensed but if we have to take sides in this thread, I would urge you to think about it closely before driving it back to Texas without your non-commerical Class B license.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a million dollars ? tell them to deliver it to the drivers license testing when you are ready to take the test. If they quibble about doing that take your million and go somewhere else. Although the other poster was correct about oklahoma having to honor texas drivers license requirements most oklahoma police officers are not going to look up the requirements to texas they are going to see if you have a valid drivers license and go on ( actually I live in Arkansas and my wife is an attorney she got into a big arguement with a police officer in her parents home town in Oklahoma. We had a new car and Arkansas does not have temporary plates. Oklahoma does he was upset we did not have temp plates and wanted to know where ours was. Did not care that Arkansas did not have them)

Once again a million dollars go get your temporary license and get a salesman from the dealership to spend some time with you teaching you how to drive it then have the salesman deliver it to the license testing department for you.

Have you considered any other coaches. I know the prevost are nice and they are well built. If you are using it for just a vacation vehicle. Have you looked at a winnebago tour or a tiffin zephyr. We were at the tiffin factory this year with our allegro bus they had some vehicles that were finished and told us we could go in and look at them. One of the tiffin zephyrs we looked at was as nice as anything I have seen. We look at winnebago tours a lot when we are at a dealership getting work done on our bus or just shopping for lightbulb type replacement items. New either one of those vehicles are a long way from 1 million. We were at camping world and they had a 2013 tour and a 2012 tour the vehicles were pretty similar in the options they had. The 2012 was 100,000 cheaper because it was last years model. I am not trying to say anything about any other brand just pointing out if you have just started looking you might want to look at other brands.

For me to spend a million dollars on a RV they would have to include one year of chauffer service with it and drive me wherever I wanted to go so asking them to teach you to drive and deliver it to the driver testing area is an easy request in my opinion
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #34

theroc, my wife is with you on this. Should have known.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
doc

Appalachian Campers
Buy a Newell and I suspect they will deliver it to whatever location you want. $$$ They don't sell those things every day
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #36

gemini, there was only one other choice for me and that was the Newmar Essex, the only other one that has a steerable Tag axle and their version called Comfort Drive. The wife has issues with her wrist, that carpel tunnel thing, so I want it to be extremely easy for her to drive. I'm considering spending that much because of her. The more she loves it, the more we'll get to use it. She wants room so that calls for 4 slides and the Prevost XL only has two and the large one we hate the way the driver and copilot is isolated from the living area. I love what I have seen of the King Aire, we loved the Cornerstone, but no computer drive or steerable tag so I'm stuck on the Newell.

After this thread, I'm thinking of just having it delivered, most likely the safest way to go. I can ride back with the driver and get a long lesson along the way. Even if it cost me, I won't feel the hit anymore than what the full cost will do to me. If we really enjoy it and spend lots of time using it, then it's worth the cost to me. Hopefully it will be a second home for us and the only thing I will have to do is get her to learn to cook in it. She has this thing about gas over electric cooking.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
Mick, loved that story! From all I have read, I hope the DW doesn't have plans on taking a pet with us. We just got the kids gone so I'm hoping for a child/pet free retirement.
Thanks! Now move to an age restricted community with outside maintenance included.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Get your permit and instead of the dealer driving it you drive it with them riding shotgun. ou get the driving experience as well as the training they can provide along the way.
Happy Travels,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #39

Mick, retirement community, not a chance. DW wants a new sticks and stone house before the RV and I have to match the value. I'm selling my robotic patents so she has a list and as with most of us with decades of female surrender under our belt know, DW gets her list first if we want peace and happiness in the future. For me this is a mobile art studio to travel and paint the landscapes I encounter. We never retire until our eyes or hands give out.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
class a

i Maryland a class c is good up to 26,001 pound before requiring a class b
Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Christian51; Go to Google and type in Texas commercial driver license. Scroll down to the Texas CDL handbook. It will tell you that you do not need a class A license. You just need a valid regular license.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
Christian51; Go to Google and type in Texas commercial driver license. Scroll down to the Texas CDL handbook. It will tell you that you do not need a class A license. You just need a valid regular license.
Wrong. All that says is you don't need a CDL. It does not say you don't need a Class B.

Tags
purchase