Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
So your Safari Sahara is under 26,000lb? What if you get a bigger RV? What does WI say you need?
FlyingDiver
My Safari loaded for travel, with all tanks full and 2 people aboard, weighs just over 21,000 lbs.
Combine that with the weight of my '07 Saturn ION toad and the total is just under 24,00 lbs.

Unfortunately finances dictate that I will never have a bigger coach. :-(

From the info you posted anyone with a only a WI class D, Non-Commercial Vehicle license, (like I have), can not legally drive an RV, (or any other vehicle), that weighs over 26,000 lb.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #100
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you Lord, there is hope!

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #101

In NY the non cdl drivers license was done awsy with. in 2009. To operate a vehicle up to 26, 000lbs all you meed is a standard class D license.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Thank you Lord, there is hope!

Wayne M
What does that obtuse post MEAN?
Mel
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #103
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That there is hope that an understanding of all the various laws and regulations that apply to driver's licensing is coming to fruition.

Maybe I should have posted this emoticon instead of or better yet, just a simple .

It wasn't personal.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
That there is hope that an understanding of all the various laws and regulations that apply to driver's licensing is coming to fruition.
It wasn't personal.
Wayne
Got it.
Thanks!
Mel
Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #105

I think we are FAR from clear unfortunately. Take for example my earlier post about an Arizona license.

The DMV web site clearly states that anything over 26k and you MUST have a CDL - no variances, no mention of RVs. So I then track down the publications which is just as clear - over 26k then a CDL is required (note that it says CDL which includes medical).

I called the Phoenix DMV and they repeated what it said on the web site - CDL was needed. I asked if they were certain of this as it was not being used commercialy but they said that they had no further info and I should email my question. So finally I emailed AZ DMV and asked them - turns out that there is an Arizona Modified Statue (A.R.S. 28-3102) that says that if you drive an emergency vehicle, a farm vehicle or a Recreational Vehicle then you are exempt. I asked why this wasn't included on their web site or their publications or why their CS people didn't know about it but of course he had no idea.

So I'm afraid that if you need to know definitively, you have to talk to the local DMV direct.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #106
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
But it is coming together - if even my this web site forum. Piece by piece.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
WRONG! If you have a Texas Drivers License, Texas law applies to your license requirements....
While you are correct in what you say about texas law applies to your license requirements I also believe that getting through oklahoma without an RV license will not be a problem. Most oklahoma police officers know Oklahoma driving laws which do not require a special license for RV operation. Even if they see a texas license they will probably not know that you have to have a special endorsement or license for it. I had a problem once with a new car. I bought it in Arkansas which did not have temporary plates. I got stopped by a small town officer while visiting my in laws. The officer wanted to know where my tempoary plates were. He tried to tell me I had to have temp plates because OK required it. He did not have a clue what the law in Arkansas was. He finally told us that he had better not catch us without temporary or permanent plates again and let us go.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #108

Confused

Which states require a class B license?
Is it weight or length?

I have a 40' and I drive it with my normal operators license... Am I wrong????
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
Is it weight or length?

The short answer, is yes, if it weighs over 26, 000lbs,this farm, and other exemptions, those vehicle seldom exceed 26,000lbs, and are usually operated in the local area, and most likely do not have air brakes.
I cannot understand why a person would not want all the knowledge available and be on top of this issue when some RV purchasers have never operated anything larger than an average auto, dah, are you afraid you won't pass? The non-cdl usually (in most states), does not require a medical, and then there is the issue of the air brakes, if you have them. JMHO
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
Is it weight or length?
lakedweller
Whether your state requires you to hold only your "normal operators license", a class B license, or any other "special" license, can best be determined by contacting the department of motor vehicles of the state from which you hold your driver license, or by visiting their website..
(Any RV dealer in your state will undoubtedly know as well).

Whatever "class" or type of driver license is required by your state to drive your 40' in that state is valid in ALL states.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
The short answer, is yes, if it weighs over 26, 000lbs,this farm, and other exemptions, those vehicle seldom exceed 26,000lbs, and are usually operated in the local area, and most likely do not have air brakes.
I cannot understand why a person would not want all the knowledge available and be on top of this issue when some RV purchasers have never operated anything larger than an average auto, dah, are you afraid you won't pass? The non-cdl usually (in most states), does not require a medical, and then there is the issue of the air brakes, if you have them. JMHO
mytime
I may be wrong, but I believe that some states also exempt RV owner/drivers from both the "over 26,000 lb" rule and the "air brake" rule.

BTW, I have nothing against knowledge, but I can acquire knowledge without my state requiring me to and without paying an additional fee for a special class of driver license. (duh)!

Mel
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post

I love the people that think that everyone that buys a motorhome has only driven cars before and this is beyond their capabilities. I have driven tractor trailers in the Army, I have also hauled numerious trailers up to a 36' 5er with a 5x8 trailer behind it behind my F350's. I believe I can handle a motorhome just fine and pass any test they can throw at me. I asked all the questions at the time of purchase, I bought mine in Florida and was told by my salesman there was no special license required. I was not told by the DMV here in Tennessee I needed a special licence when I registered the motorhome. This is the first I have heard of a special license. I was hoping someone on this site knew wether Tenn required one. I guuss not just people that make snide coments about my driving abilities, I will check on Monday. The state of Tenn does not even require a brake actuator for your toad. I researched the break actuator and found even if your state does not require one you must have one in all of the states that do.

Mel

The snide comment does not apply to you ...... Thanks
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase