Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #57
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CDL C to me is a Class C, CDL license. The "C" in CDL is the word Commercial.

Technobody,

All of the States in the "lower half" have reciprocal agreements. If a person's license is good in the State he acquired it from it is good in all the other states. So in that sense the requirements meet the same standard as Ontario.

The confusion typically comes from the wording in the driver license manual. With the Internet, one pulls up the manual, then searches on CDL and the results is not what they are supposed to read because the requirements for non-CDL are in another section.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
In California you don't need a class B to drive an RV. But I would say to the people that are saying you can get away with it, that you can only get away with it if you don't get pulled over. I rode a motorcycle for years without a MC license until I got caught, then I had to pay a fine and get the MC license.
Actually California requires a non-commercial Class B if your coach is over 40' and under 45'. If you tow a travel trailer over 10,000#, or a fiver over 15,000#, you need a non-commercial Class A.
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #59

It's an example of the UTTER STUPIDITY of the driving license system.

Commercial DLs are Federally managed - so should regular driving licenses be.

How can anyone defend the variance from State to State - in Florida you can drive ANY Recreational Vehicle on a regular license, In California you are restricted to 40' length and in others 26,000# in weight. Yet residents of those States can travel through every other State due to reciprocity.

It makes a mockery of the whole system.

[End of rant]
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Commercial DLs are Federally managed - so should regular driving licenses be.
[End of rant]
Please friend, most DMVs are cumbersome enough already. Imagine what the federal bureaucracy would do to fees and ease of use.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #61

But at least it would level the playing field and make it a fairer system on everyone!

Some things should be Federal - most things shouldn't.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #62
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post

But at least it would level the playing field and make it a fairer system on everyone!

Some things should be Federal - most things shouldn't.

That is so true. One only has to read any of the threads on drivers license requirements and the responses people receive when they go to the DMV and ask a question. Even in the same state, 10 different DMV's, most likely 10 different answers.

However, it is what it is.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think the licenses themselves need to be federal. Just uniform standards for classes of licenses and consistency in what class is needed for what kind of vehicle. That's already in place for commercial, no reason it can't also be in place for personal licenses.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Actually California requires a non-commercial Class B if your coach is over 40' and under 45'. If you tow a travel trailer over 10,000#, or a fiver over 15,000#, you need a non-commercial Class A.
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

I'll add just how much fun this was for us. From the DMV not knowing 'how' to provide the Class B Permit and the proper tests required. To the actual driving test itself, also requiring items not required, and of course the conflict between the DMV and California Highway Patrol.
Info:
> We have a 40 Model coach
> It measures 40' 8" (From 'bumper to bumper'.)
> DMV says it is a 40' model. And I pay my DMV fees and value tax based upon it being 40'. So DMV says no Class B required, as it is not over a 40' model (key word here is 'model').
> Visited the local California Highway Patrol office in San Diego. Three Highway Patrolman were by the counter where I walked in. Two different opinions form these three Officers.
1) Model is what two of them would go by, so 40' and no Class B required.
2) Actual measurement, was what one Officer said. Over 40' and Class B required
> Then the Officer's had a fun talk about 'how to measure':
1) One said from the front and rear most extreme points, so he would include the mirrors (ours go forward abut 10").
2) One said 'bumper to bumper'.
3) The third said he would go from mirrors to the trailer hitch if 'permanently attached' to the RV.
> DMV office did not have the ability within the computer system (the same computer system used at all CA DMV's), to provide me with a Non Commercial Class B Permit. The agent kept telling me I was wrong and needed a Commercial Class B (or the one to drive a Firetruck, asking me three times if I was trying to drive a Firetruck). I kept politely explaining the new regulations, and she finally asked her Supervisor for help. She too was confused, because the software would not allow them to click the proper buttons to provide the permit. She finally went to a folder at her desk, and came back 10 minutes later with notes she had taken 6 months earlier at a special Supervisor training class. (They had to print out what hey could get form the computer. Cross out certain aspects, initial, write in two other areas, initial again.)
> Then onto the written test. Which is supposed to only be the normal Class C written test. The agent giving me the written test, kept insisting that I needed to take the full Class A CDL test. Another polite 5 minutes of conversation, and again the same Supervisor was called over. She agreed with the agent, and said 'take it or consider it a fail'. I finally agreed to take it (after also passing the normal Class C test first), but said that if I failed it (I had not studied for this test.) - that I wanted her commitment to make more calls on my behalf, as I was positive it was not required. (I took it, missed on question. So got my Class B Permit. The Supervisor did come over to see how I did, and said she would ask for clarification on this from Sacramento. She actually was very nice, and thanked me for working so politely with them as this was not a very smooth roll out from Sacramento!)
> The confusion continued on what was the 'back of the RV', during the Class B test itself. One place you simulate backing into a loading bay. At this San Diego County testing facility, this was with orange posts sticking up around 4' tall on the sides and back. You are to back in and stop as close as you can without hitting the rear cones (loading dock). For every foot away, they subtract a point. I backed up and stopped within 1' (pure luck, see next item) of the rear cones, with my Stirling Tow Bar being the closest item to the cones. The gent giving me the test, measured to the 'rear bumper', and subtracted 3 points because he came up with over two feet, and rounds up.
> During the backing up test above, the person giving the test had me turn off my rear camera. We did talk this over some, as I explained to him that my mirrors were set to work in conjunction with rear camera. He said to reset them if I wanted, which I said no too because I had them 'where i wanted them'. When I pointed out to him that their was nothing in any of the documentation from the DMV stating 'no rear camera's' - he said it did not matter, it was how they did the test. (I did not push it, as the gent had an attitude towards me, and I sincerely believe he felt RV'er's were the scum of the earth. He was looking for ways to fail me, IMO.
> During the road test. I stopped my RV at a left turn red light. The gent asked me if I needed to, could I get around the car in front of me. I said yes, but it would be tight. He said 'You're too close, you did not leave enough room to go around.' Minus one point for Smitty. (Again, nothing in any DMV literature that I read about how much space you must leave when stopping behind another car.) I did really need to behave myself, because about 5 minutes later, at another left turn red light where I left about 1 1/2 car lengths between me and the car in front - a gent in a pick up cut into the space, as he decided he wanted to turn left. (I could see the gent giving me the test wanted to say something, but did not. I too really had to work on not smiling...)

Why did I decide to get a Class B? Because I did not want to provide for individual Officer's 'interpretation' of this very poorly rolled at change for RV owners. I could be right, still ticketed, and then may have to drive to a local area away from my home, to fight a ticket.

IMO, if in doubt on what kind of DL is required, go ahead and bite the bullet and get the higher of the classes in question.

Oh and to the OP. I'd like to do you a friendly favor, and deliver that Newell for you to your home. Now I sometimes have problems with navigating, so I may end up with a 48 state tour before I find your home - but I'll take good care of your rig for you!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #65

LOL Smitty

I have been through the same fiasco but in Nevada - I needed a non-commercial license but DW who NEVER drove an RV in her life or even knew how to still had her CA license and so was my 'licensed copilot' as we drove to the test center.

I had to answer 7 questions on the computer regarding HAZMAT - if I ever need to transport nuclear waste in my RV I know what to do!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
In California you don't need a class B to drive an RV. But I would say to the people that are saying you can get away with it, that you can only get away with it if you don't get pulled over. I rode a motorcycle for years without a MC license until I got caught, then I had to pay a fine and get the MC license.
Sorry, but that statement is completely WRONG! Any coach over 40' requires a non-commercial class "B" license in CA, as seen here 45' Motorhomes

And the original poster's choice is outstanding for RV's ~ green with envy here!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv
LOL Smitty

I have been through the same fiasco but in Nevada - I needed a non-commercial license but DW who NEVER drove an RV in her life or even knew how to still had her CA license and so was my 'licensed copilot' as we drove to the test center.

I had to answer 7 questions on the computer regarding HAZMAT - if I ever need to transport nuclear waste in my RV I know what to do!
LoL - but as likely in NV as anywhere I suppose. More so than some. What a hoot! RV salesman send ya out on the road w/o a required license, pretending you're aok - or not to know - a non driver with a license is a co-pilot. Good thing ya passed! DW might well have had eyes as big as saucers (not radioactive flying saucers). :
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Christian51,

I'm sure you have already worked out all of your delivery/license issues by now. If not, and you would still like to have some practice or help getting the coach home from Miami, let me know. I live in Denton , TX, have a Class A CDL for years and would be happy to help. No charge, just help another RVer. At the price range you are in I am sure they would deliver the coach to you. But if not PM me and we can talk about it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Christian51,

I'm sure you have already worked out all of your delivery/license issues by now. If not, and you would still like to have some practice or help getting the coach home from Miami, let me know. I live in Denton , TX, have a Class A CDL for years and would be happy to help. No charge, just help another RVer. At the price range you are in I am sure they would deliver the coach to you. But if not PM me and we can talk about it.
Probably the most helpful comment in the whole thread
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Christian51,

Thanks, but the wife decided she wants us to get licensed and drive it home for our first adventure but thank you for the offer. If something happens that we can't, well....I'll keep you in mind. We're looking in the Prosper area, staying as north of Dallas as possible.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase