Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Well in West Virginia the standard non-commercial license is Class E. You can drive anything on this license as long as the vehicle is non-commercial, not for hire, or a bus. The 26,000# limit only applies to commercial vehicles.
Fair enough. Like I said, there's no "national designation". So far, it could be "C", "D", or "E", depending on the state. Any others?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #86

One good thing about the correct license to operate your rig, your insurance co. May give you a discount, mine was 55 bucks yr., and if you are over 26, 000 lbs you more than likely need one, non comm class B in most states., and you also need an air brake endorcement, if applicable. Lots of hungry lawers out there, incase of an accident.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #87

Lots of info and opinions here. A clarifying question from me.

I have a regular CA Class C license which is all I need for my 39'11" motorhome. That much I know for fact. I assumed that my CA endorsement was good anywhere in the good ole' US (reciprocity?), am I correct?

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Lots of info and opinions here. A clarifying question from me.

I have a regular CA Class C license which is all I need for my 39'11" motorhome. That much I know for fact. I assumed that my CA endorsement was good anywhere in the good ole' US (reciprocity?), am I correct?

Chris
Well, it's not an endorsement (that means something else), but your Class C license is good for your RV anywhere in the US (and Canada, I believe), since it's the correct license for CA. Reciprocity applies.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Reciprocity applies.
Which is why the whole fiasco is so ridiculous - I guess back in 1920 something, very few people travel out of state but today, I traveled 34 states in 2 years of full time - heck, in some places I can drive 5 states in a DAY.

We need to have uniform standards across all 50!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Which is why the whole fiasco is so ridiculous - I guess back in 1920 something, very few people travel out of state but today, I traveled 34 states in 2 years of full time - heck, in some places I can drive 5 states in a DAY.

No argument here, but the "state's rights" and "small government" crowds will complain.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #91

Quote:
steveclv
There IS one "uniform drivers license standard" for all 50 states.
It is provided by the reciprocity agreements between the states.

A "valid driver license" from any U.S. state is "valid" in ALL of the other U.S. states as well.

If you hold a "valid driver license" from the state of which you are a resident, (aka:your home state), your driver license is "valid" in ALL states.

If your "home state" does NOT require a "special license" to drive an RV, you DO NOT need a "special license" to drive ANY RV in ANY OTHER state you may drive to, through, and/or around in, (even if the residents of the "other state" must have a "special license" to drive certain RVs).

If one moves to a different state they have a specified time period to get the driver license required by their new "home state".

However, often states have no reciprocity agreements when it comes to "equipment requirements".
There are many discrepancies dealing with things like overall length/width, trailer/toad weight, auxiliary brakes, etc.
What is "legal" and allowed in one state is often "illegal" in others.

UH-OH!
What I just posted sounds like something an attorney would write... (that concerns me)!

Mel
'96 Safari
WI "DM" driver license,
(D-Non-Commercial Vehicles, M-Motorcycles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #92

Mel

Read what you just wrote - it's all 100% true - but does it make common sense?

I always thought that a driving license was something that ensured that the operator had sufficient knowledge and ability to drive the vehicle.

So in State A they believe that you are competent to drive a car having passed the tests and that you are ok driving an RV up to 26,000#

But in the State next door, 50 miles away, they decide that because you can drive a car, you can now drive a 50,000# 45' behemoth towing a Hummer H2 with no extra education or testing.

Honestly, it makes no sense whatsoever.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Well, actually I disagree with the statement:

Quote:
There IS one "uniform drivers license standard" for all 50 states.
It is provided by the reciprocity agreements between the states.
Reciprocity allows the use of licenses across all the states. But that does not imply uniformity.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #94

Quote:
Well, actually I disagree with the statement:
Reciprocity allows the use of licenses across all the states. But that does not imply uniformity.
Reciprocity is a policy between states by which corresponding advantages or privileges are granted by each state to the citizens of the other.
Disagree if you must, but reciprocation = mutuality = uniformity where I come from.
In any event reciprocity is the reason that I can legally drive my RV wherever I want without jumping through hoops and paying additional government fees.
Even if a special license is required by your state it can be used in mine.
:-)
Mel
Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
In any event reciprocity is the reason that I can legally drive any RV wherever I want without jumping through hoops and paying additional government fees.
Got a question on that - you stated above you have a WI Class D license. I took a look at the WI DMV site, and it says:

Quote:
Commercial driver licenses (CDL) are required to operate vehicles that:

Weigh over 26,000 pounds, determined by the highest of the following weights:
manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
manufacturer’s gross combination weight rating (GCWR) when the towed unit has a GVWR, registered weight or actual gross weight over 10,000 pounds
actual weight
registered weight
Later on, it states:

Quote:
Class D
For operation of automobiles; light trucks and mopeds.
I could find no exemption for Recreational Vehicles. It sure seems to say you need a CDL-B for an RV (or any vehicle) over 26,000lb. Which means your Class D is not legal for "any RV". What am I missing?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #96

Quote:
Mel
Read what you just wrote - it's all 100% true - but does it make common sense?
steveclv
As you know you can't legislate common sense.
However, that apparently hasn't prevented some states from trying.

Since out of state drivers, without a special license, are allowed to drive any RV in those states....I guess those states don't actually BELIEVE that a "special RV driver license" is "necessary".
IMO, it has far more to do with states "collecting $$ from their citizens" than it has with "sufficient knowledge and ability to drive the vehicle".

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #97

Quote:
Got a question on that - you stated above you have a WI Class D license. I took a look at the WI DMV site.
I could find no exemption for Recreational Vehicles. It sure seems to say you need a CDL-B for an RV (or any vehicle) over 26,000lb. Which means your Class D is not legal for "any RV".
FlyingDiver
OOPS!
I apologize to everyone!
I should have said I can drive "my" RV anywhere I want, without a "special license".
Sorry

This is embarrassing..... (I've never been wrong before).
Mel
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
FlyingDiver
OOPS!
I apologize to everyone!
I should have said I can drive "my" RV anywhere I want, without a "special license".
Sorry

This is embarrassing..... (I've never been wrong before).
Mel
So your Safari Sahara is under 26,000lb? What if you get a bigger RV? What does WI say you need?

Tags
purchase