Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 92
Purchase a Class A without a Class B license

I have decided to drive up to Miami OK to look at some Newell RVs which are huge to a newbie. Currently I don't even have a Class B drivers license to drive one and if I purchased one, how would one get it home and use it for your driver's test? I wanted a chance to practice with it before I try to take the test and you can't take it without something to drive. I'll need to get it to the Dallas area where I want to register it and take my test. Has anyone rented one for a test and can you rent one with out the license. Maybe pay someone with a coach to teach me before I buy? Looked into some local driving schools but most seem to be for professionals and I need to get it done, won't have time for formal lessons on a schedule so this is an issue I'm just exploring to see what the options are.
__________________

__________________
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 164
I drove mine for 3 years before I realized I needed a class B. You don't need to worry about the law since most of them don't realize this requirement. If you have an accident, then your insurance and lawyers will be your foes. I took my test in Plano and drove the unit up there myself. I took the written test first and scheduled the driving test a week later. Sections 13,14,&15 are the ones you need to concentrate on.
Good luck with your purchase. I've been up to Miami and they have some jaw dropping units!
__________________

__________________
Don & Bunny
05 Discovery
06 Saturn ION toad manual 5 spd
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 92
Thanks, DL, I was wondering how safe it would be to just drive it on home. I doubt they would have temporary license plates so getting pulled over would be a possibility. One does have to drive it to the DMV to take your test so I will play it by ear as I go. It isn't a difficult drive, good roads all the way. And yes, the coaches are stunning. I have gone through first thinking of a Entegra Cornerstone, then pondered the King Aire. Spotted an 08 Prevost and got drawn into the Bus thing and then discovered the Newell coaches. There were likes and dislikes with them all and the Newell had it all. So I decided to take a chance on blowing the budget and go look them over. A little polished for a country boy but the quality and sheer power of them is captivating. DW has been freaked out on what I wanted to spend on an RV as my choices became more expensive but she looked a Newell she just said, "OK, I do like that one!"
__________________
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,712
Some states that require a special license will issue a probationary license without taking the "actual driving" test first. Doesn't hurt to ask them. As dls561 said though, the risk of consequences are slim for driving with present license, and if it gets wrecked enroute home, your license is the least of your worries.spouse =
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Some states that require a special license will issue a probationary license without taking the "actual driving" test first. Doesn't hurt to ask them. As dls561 said though, the risk of consequences are slim for driving with present license, and if it gets wrecked enroute home, your license is the least of your worries.spouse =
If I was worried about it I might go to some of the local dealers and see if one of them would be willing to drive it home for you for a small fee. Since the license is required in texas then salesmen that drive units to sales events have to have the license. I would also try to look in the internet and see what it costs to hire someone to relocate RV's that would be a legal option. I might also run an advertisement on craigslist to try and hire someone with a license. There are a lot of ways to get it home. Of course there is always the option of having someone in the dealership where you buy it drive it home and you drive them back to the dealership. Since they are in Oklahoma they do not have to have a class b license so they can drive it to tezs fro you. If there is the remotest possibility that having a wreck would invalidate your insurance I would not take that risk. MH are a lot of money. The risk might be slight but one driver cutting you off and causing a wreck could cost a lot more than hiring it delivered. To really be efficient take the written test. Make an appointment to take the drivers test. Go to miami if you buy one. Practice driving it in OK where they dont require the license. Then have the dealer deliver it to the testing center. That would have you 100 per cent legal at all times
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dlovitt's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
I have decided to drive up to Miami OK to look at some Newell RVs which are huge to a newbie. Currently I don't even have a Class B drivers license to drive one and if I purchased one, how would one get it home and use it for your driver's test? I wanted a chance to practice with it before I try to take the test and you can't take it without something to drive. I'll need to get it to the Dallas area where I want to register it and take my test. Has anyone rented one for a test and can you rent one with out the license. Maybe pay someone with a coach to teach me before I buy? Looked into some local driving schools but most seem to be for professionals and I need to get it done, won't have time for formal lessons on a schedule so this is an issue I'm just exploring to see what the options are.
IMHO, drive it home. The dealer will surely provide temporary tags good for 30-45 days. Texas wants you to register it within 20 days (I think) of it entering the state. The class "B" license used to be somewhat of a secret. Not too many knew about it. I drove MH's for 4 years before anyone brought it to my attention.

I just got my "B" today. There were no questions asked about who drove the coach to the driving test.

Heck, yesterday, I saw a lady who couldn't pass the eye test turned loose with the admonition to get her eyes checked and bring the eye doctor form back within 90 days.
__________________
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369, Spartan K2 Chassis,
Cummins ISL 450HP, Allison 3000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GregOk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
Thanks, DL, I was wondering how safe it would be to just drive it on home. I doubt they would have temporary license plates so getting pulled over would be a possibility. One does have to drive it to the DMV to take your test so I will play it by ear as I go. It isn't a difficult drive, good roads all the way. And yes, the coaches are stunning. I have gone through first thinking of a Entegra Cornerstone, then pondered the King Aire. Spotted an 08 Prevost and got drawn into the Bus thing and then discovered the Newell coaches. There were likes and dislikes with them all and the Newell had it all. So I decided to take a chance on blowing the budget and go look them over. A little polished for a country boy but the quality and sheer power of them is captivating. DW has been freaked out on what I wanted to spend on an RV as my choices became more expensive but she looked a Newell she just said, "OK, I do like that one!"
Oklahoma does not need a class b. So getting thru Oklahoma is no problem
__________________
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CountryFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Between the Oceans
Posts: 3,544
Blog Entries: 2
you can drive it home by yourself and no worry about license b. i had not driven an rv before bought mine, then drove 350 miles home overnight. when i first sat inside and put my hands on steering wheel, i did feel intimidated. but once starting rolling, no big deal.

it seems like a common practice that dmv does not check who drives rv there. when i booked date/time for road test, the lady on the phone told me they don't care how the rv gets there.
__________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40', ISC 350
2014 Ford C-Max Energi
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Heck, yesterday, I saw a lady who couldn't pass the eye test turned loose with the admonition to get her eyes checked and bring the eye doctor form back within 90 days.
I hope you don't think this is an acceptable situation. IMHO there are far too many elderly RVers who shouldn't be driving cars, let alone 30-40,000 lb vehicles. When I can't qualify for a license I will give it up; turning someone loose who can't pass a vision test is criminal!
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
FlyingDiver's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere....
Posts: 3,820
I can tell you what I did in your situation - I spent a couple hundred $$ and went to a two-day (or was it three?) commercial driving school. Used their truck to get the Class B. Only problem was that since I was taking the test in a commercial vehicle, I had to get a full Class B CDL. I downgraded it to a non-CDL when it came up for renewal.
__________________
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX 600
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 92
Great! I'll just drive it back, most of the distance is in OK and the state line is a straight 90 minute shot to Dallas. Once I get it home and then find a place to practice or find someone to give me some private lesson time in it before I take the test. I want to get comfortable with it before I do. I've driven some large trucks and since the Newell's have a steerable tag axle and their version of comfort drive, it should be a breeze.
__________________
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,203
The question is do you want to be legal and have everything covered, just in case.

If OK does not have temporary tags you should be okay with the Bill Of Sale. The date of purchase will be on it and you are just driving it home.

You can study for the Class A or B and take the written test in Texas. This will give you a learner's permit. The learner's permit allows you to drive legally as long as there is a licensed driver with the same class license in the vehicle. (It's funny that for motorcycles they just have to be in sight). Maybe one of your "friends" will make the trip with you and allow you to drive it home. Having someone that has driven a bigger rig before can be a benefit in the learning curve.

In any case, good luck.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I can tell you what I did in your situation - I spent a couple hundred $$ and went to a two-day (or was it three?) commercial driving school. Used their truck to get the Class B. Only problem was that since I was taking the test in a commercial vehicle, I had to get a full Class B CDL. I downgraded it to a non-CDL when it came up for renewal.
I did pretty much the same thing you did to get a CDL, but I saw no reason to downgrade it even though I don't need it. South Dakota permits me to file an affidavit stating that I am not doing any driving that requires having a medical card which permits me to retain the CDL without any additional cost or hassle. Who knows, I might someday want to drive a bus or other large vehicle at a campground; a CDL might come in handy.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
H. Miller's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
Oklahoma does not need a class b. So getting thru Oklahoma is no problem
WRONG! If you have a Texas Drivers License, Texas law applies to your license requirements....
__________________

__________________
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4"girls" (3 Irish Setters - 1 Retriever) - RIP Annie
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.