Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Purchase decision

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been looking at several different class A motorhomes. I finally liked a 2002 monaco executive with 37 k miles on it and price is 90k. Is it a good deal? (Options include 370 hp Cummins Allison of course road master chasis v clean 3 a units two slides)

I looked at nada for low retail is 84k and average retail is 104k. is the wholesale less than low retail? Also I am in southern California and who will finance a motor home this old with best interest rates. Any references for credit unions banks etc will be appreciated.
matta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matta07 View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been looking at several different class A motorhomes. I finally liked a 2002 monaco executive with 37 k miles on it and price is 90k. Is it a good deal? (Options include 370 hp Cummins Allison of course road master chasis v clean 3 a units two slides)

I looked at nada for low retail is 84k and average retail is 104k. is the wholesale less than low retail? Also I am in southern California and who will finance a motor home this old with best interest rates. Any references for credit unions banks etc will be appreciated.

Monaco is a very good coach and just now starting to be produced again thru Fleetwood. Of course have the coach appraised and surveyed by a competent third party. Wholesale is less than low retail and IMO 90K is a bit too high. However the coach may be like new and worth that price point? Generally a coach past 8 to 10 years of age is extremely difficult to finance. You'll have to have a very good credit rating and a large down to come close to a long term finance. You might try Good Sam, or Essex Credit. Your Credit union if a member is another thought. I believe Bank of The West may be connected with Essex give them a try.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, wholesale is less than low retail. At least that's what I've found. I'm selling my 40DP and found wholesale to be about 15% lower than low retail.

I financed through Bank of the West. I think they finance a lot of RVs these days but don't know what their restrictions or rates are.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which model are you looking at? The 40DS low retail with a 370hp is $78,270.
2002 Monaco Executive Series M-40DS 370hp Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

Are you dealing with a dealer or individual? If dealer, they may have financing options for you?

All of their 40's which had 370 hp have same low retail, I believe only the 40's had a 370 hp option so I would think you should be targeting something below the $78k unless it was incredibly clean, has new tires, complete maintenance records, and clean third party evaluation. If you are close to a Cummins Coach Care facility they may be a good place to take the coach for evaluation. Good Luck
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. It is a tag axle with 41 1/2 in length. I put the options like three hvacs, aqua water etc. to get to the low retail of 84k but you are right w no options this is how much it should be... I really like the coach, i test drove a couple of gas and fleetwood diesels but the ride is very unique and comforting in Monaco (maybe i am just brain washed with road master chasis)...

How is the 2007 Gulf Stream Cresendo on workhorse chasis?

Has anyone registered their motorhome in Montana to save on sales tax? Who did you use and was it smooth process?

Ok here is another thing i wanted to know about the RV maintenance:

1. Oil Change Cost with fuel Filters replaced
2. Brakes
3. Tires

I know these are very open ended but i just wana have a ball park figure in my mind. If someone knows a local southern cali rv mechanic/shop in IE let me know of them.
matta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #6

If you purchase it in California you will cough up about 8 or 9,000 dollars at closing for sales tax. My suggestion would be find one out of state or have it delivered to arizona.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by matta07 View Post
Thanks for the replies. It is a tag axle with 41 1/2 in length. I put the options like three hvacs, aqua water etc. to get to the low retail of 84k but you are right w no options this is how much it should be... I really like the coach, i test drove a couple of gas and fleetwood diesels but the ride is very unique and comforting in Monaco (maybe i am just brain washed with road master chasis)...

How is the 2007 Gulf Stream Cresendo on workhorse chasis?

Has anyone registered their motorhome in Montana to save on sales tax? Who did you use and was it smooth process?

Ok here is another thing i wanted to know about the RV maintenance:

2. Brakes
3. Tires

I know these are very open ended but i just wana have a ball park figure in my mind. If someone knows a local southern cali rv mechanic/shop in IE let me know of them.
Bennett Law Office in Missoula, Bennett Law Office P.C. - Bennett Law Office P.C.

I would contact Cummins near your, but I just had Cummins complete full PM Service on Drive Motor, Generator, and aqua hot, just about $800.

I have never had to do brakes on either of mine, first one I owned for 11 years with about 85,000 miles.

I have only purchased 1 set of tires on my old coach, $3,200 for Michelins. Date code on used coach's are very important to know prior to negotiating price.

As respect to NADA, many times the options you are adding in are actually standard on the coach, so you may be adding value into the price unnecessarily. I have bought 2 used American Eagles, both 2 year old units for below low retail with no additional options added into the pricing, so I would really target low retail. Both of my units where in very good condition.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have been looking at like coach's and find the dealer asking prices between $75 and $110 wit $79 to$89 about right or normal. Watch out in trying to cheat Kali out of the sales tax, They are going after these and fining very hard. Also check on insurance for an LLC, can be very high plus you may not get a loan on an LLC owned coach.

LEN
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are lenders for MT LLC's and the insurance for me hasn't been an issue. CA I know nothing about.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

I do mine own oil changes. Cat C9 holds close to 9 gallons of oil at $112.50 oil filter $35.00 (2) fuel filters about $35.00 Total $182.50 + or- and I change at 5000mi.
2. Brakes
Should go a long time if you don't get any oil on them from a wheel leaking
3. Tires
Last year I have a set of (6) 295/80R22.5 Michelin tires installed through the FMCA at a cost of $4000.00 + $260 dismount-mount balance front and recondition all valve stems.
There are a lot of other things to look at also
May have to switch the frig out, I installed the Samsung 197 RR because of the Not-So-Cold was living up to its name, I like to sleep at night plus we installed the Magnum 2812 PSW inverter. Need to look at the windows are they fogged. Is the TV system up to date, I installed the Winegard Traveler 1000. Has the coolant been serviced or changed, has the radiator been changed lot of them fail at a cost of around $5400 has the trans filters had there first filter change along with the hyd filters. Lot to think about so know what you are getting into before hand.
If I still had my 03 Alpenlite 5er I would have $15,000 in my pocket but it drives like a dream and when you get there just hit the button and let the air level everything beats useing boards, would I go back, No
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would use Len's advice regarding the LLC of Montana. The vast majority of states are aggressively perusing individuals that license their MH in Montana and do not reside. The penalties imposed are extreme. stick with the Monaco!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase