Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
2 comments Chuck, then I'm out of here.
1: You know the Carfax is wrong. The mileage on the odometer and the mileage on the engine are the same and consistent with what the dealer is selling. The coach comes from Ontario Canada and as such does not have a title. The title will need to be created. You have not answered my previous question about who will add the mention of TMU on title. I don't see why the dealer would as he knows from looking at the engine mileage that there is no tampering. If the DMV office decides that TMU should go on there then surely you can produce an affidavit and proof that the mileage is not "undetermined" and you can provide proof. If the titles office or DMV can't fix this based on the evidence then there is something wrong there, not a the dealer.

2: About the deposit, it is refundable until the inspection is done and you are satisfied. After you sign the contract to buy, it is no longer refundable. What is wrong with that??

PS: I'm from Canada and have no connections with the dealer...

Non refundable well this is the problem

Although I had a inpsection for $300 what would happen if I went down there to pickup and they stripped the unit or what happend if I went down there and the engine know has a knock in it. I should have to pay $5000 for this? BTW I spoke with the Largest RV dealer in the USA and they flat out said it was agaist Florida Law to hold any deposit !!!

ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #30
On a slightly different tack-

Our Jeep toad does not accrue mileage on the odometer whilst being towed. What are the legalities and ethics when the time comes to trade the Jeep?

Champaign County Illinois
2016 Thor Tuscany 45 AT, 2014 Jeep Cherokee
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #31
Went to North Trails looking at rigs. DW and I found one we liked and went to put a deposit down while we thought things over and "cooled off". The paperwork had non-refundable deposit on it and I told them they needed to change it. Salesman said it was only a formality, of course it was refundable. I said well in that case you won't have an issue changing it. They didn't get nasty, but they did try to make me feel like a PITA. Ended up not buying from them. I would run like the wind from this deal. There are plenty of motorhomes out there without these issues.
Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Walk away and don't look back. There are other units out there that will fit your needs. Don't stroke out about it. This should be a happy time for you and your family. Try to make it a good experience for yourself and family. Good luck !!
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If TMU on the title is a deal breaker for you, then walk away. The dealer can't do anything about the Florida (or any other state) title procedures and it appears that will result in a TMU on the title unless they can somehow come up with a certifiable mileage the state will accept.

I do not agree that TMU is an automatic 30% loss of value on a motorhome. Maybe on a car where mileage is a very large factor, but on a motorhome condition, interior, floor plan, etc. are (in my opinion) a much larger factor.

Despite the flip-flopping on the TMU designation, it appears to me the dealer has been upfront on the mileage thing. They did not attempt to hide the situation and tried to find a solution that would satisfy you but could not. You have a refundable deposit, so take your refund and keep shopping.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel stress and bitterness in your thread and would worry that this MH might be a reminder of it if you continue foreword. Move on and find that perfect MH that meets ALL your expectations....you deserve it.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #35
Originally Posted by ChuckNJ View Post
Thanks all for taking the time to read. The worst part here is I spent $300 to have this inspected and quite honestly feel I have been frauded. I am in contact with the FLA Attorney Generals office to look into this matter .If you could aLL read the emails back and forth and the tap dancing arond the issue it would make you sick. They tell you how they are a family run buissness and they would take care of me like family? I emailed everyone in the ERP family who own North Trails and have yet to have any response back except from the General manager stating he could not meet my "DEMANDS" My demand??? A clear title in writing?? "DEMANDS"? If i did not ask the last minute I would be out 2 flights to Fort Myers art $400 a pop and the $300 inspection charge because they are basiclly as far as i am cocerned usiing unethical buissness practices. I encourage them to prove otherwise !!!!
We walked/ran away from North Trail due to the unforthright manner of the salesman we had. Not a place I would do business with based on my experience
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #36
Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, here's what my opinion.

1) Carfax mileage inaccuracy. Unfortunately, when it comes with dealing with Canada, Carfax is not great. They are very spotty as far as coverage and they make errors. Our previous car, came up mileage discreptency because of an error on their part; when the car had about 75k kms, we decided to get an extended warranty. Carfax recorded it as a service contract at 75k miles (i.e. 120k kms). The following year, we renewed our registration and the mileage was recorded at that point (8xxxx kms) and after that, the vehicle came up as mileage discrepency on Carfax. Just because Carfax says there's a milleage discreptency, it doesn't mean that there's a mileage discreptency (we owned the vehicle the whole time so I know there wasn't one). From the information provided, this is a Carfax issue, not a NT or DMV or anybody else issue.

2) Mileage on large vehicle is 'exempt'. I believe the last two mhs I bought were sold as 'mileage exempt' because they were over 16000 lbs. From what I can tell, this is fairly common.

3) Affect on value / resale of TMU. As with others, I wouldn't not agree that TMU on any vehicle would affect it's value by 30% and certainly not on a DP. For NADA, they say not to list the mileage of DPs when evaluating. On a car, I think you might lose 5-10% of value for an actual TMU (not a Carfax reported TMU which might be fairly easy to show is an error (e.g. if all other readings are in line except for one and if that one falls in place with a km-miles conversion and it's a reading from Canada, it's pretty safe to assume it's a clearical error (e.g. if you have registrations at 30k kms, 40k kms, all of a sudden get a 50k miles (80k kms) and then get 60k kms, etc, it's likely that the 50k miles should have been 50k kms ...) FWIW, I'm cheap so I've been looking at sales at flooded vehicles from Hurricane Sandy and they seem to be selling for about 30-50% under market value. That's for vehicles with salvage-flood titles (possibly salt water flood water) and not registerable in all states (These are vehicles that, with current title (NY 907A) cannot be driven on the road and must be towed to service facilities and can only possibly be driveable again (not necessarily in all states) after passing inspection). TMU is nothing compared to that.

4) Previous owner not wanting to speak to you. This really depends on the individual but I'm not all that surprised. If the previous owner had it registered in Canada and chose to trade it in at NT, he probably took a bath on the trade-in value (his motorhome is probably worth 20-25% more in Canada and I wouldn't be surprised if NT gave him 5-10% or more under trade value for it because they would have to import it to the US to sell it. If he was willing to give up that much money, it's probably because he really didn't want to be bothered with selling it himself so probably doesn't want to talk to anyone about it.

I'm not saying I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with NT but I don't think the mileage thing was that big of a deal.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carfax mileage discreptency can be caused by something as simple as an
vehicle inspection technician entering the wrong mileage at inspection time for those states that require annual safety inspection.
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
I'm from Ontario and every yr when I renew my vehicle stickers I have to provide the mileage on each car. If my motorhome was in storage and I wanted to, I could be lazy and guess the mileage and list anything I want, nobody checks. I'm always careful as I know this might cause a discrepancy later...
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
I'm from Ontario and every yr when I renew my vehicle stickers I have to provide the mileage on each car. If my motorhome was in storage and I wanted to, I could be lazy and guess the mileage and list anything I want, nobody checks. I'm always careful as I know this might cause a discrepancy later...
That's exactly what I have to do. We leave the motor home in Florida over the winter and that's when I have to renew my plates in Ontario. I don't usually remember to take down the mileage before we leave it so I have to make an educated guess and hope I'm not too far off.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
I’m not 100% sure but believe the dealer has to change out the dashboard odometer to read miles instead of kilometers before it can be sold in the U.S.
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With all the oddities of this unit, previous owner, miles , stuck slides or dead battery, dealership acting like a shyster. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, probably a duck. If you are actually out more than the insp fee, go after them, if only the inspection fee consider it cheap. Run faster Forrest, run.

2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote