Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Purchase from NorthTRail RV is this a Title Issue???

Hi All I am looking for an opinion here on a purchase I was in the process of completing.

I have been in the market for a 2004 Monoco Diplomat 40pdq for some time. I have done all my reseach scoured craigslist ,ebay , rvtrader , PPL in texas and have come to what I feel is a general idea of fair market value for a coach with a clean title.

With this in mind I found that North Trail Rv in fort Myers FLa had the exact coach I was looking for I made a call and spoke to a salemans who said that the coach had just arrived that day and the owner was trading in on a newer coach he said he would get me some pictures info and a price.He also stated that all items on the coach except the in motion sat would be in working order. Later that morning he contacted me via phone and informed me I could purchase at what was a fair market value price and send me some pictures. I agreed on the first price he gave me and asked how could i reserve the unit so I could have an inspection done. He asked for a $5000 refundable 72 hour deposit following my inspection we could close on the deal.

Later that day I received a buyers contract with pictures and the vehichles VIN. My first step was to run a CARFAX on the unit this is where the first red flag went up. The coach was on its second owner out of Ontario Canada. There was a bunch of flip flopping of the mileage between owners but the carfax stated this could just be a clerical error.

So with my newfound info I contacted the salesman who told me he would reach out to the saleman who took the trade and see if the previous ownetr would talk to me to clear up the carfax issue.Several hours later I was contacted by the salesman who took the trade and was informed that the previous owner had no intentions on talking to me because he did not drive all the way from canada to sell his coach to have to talk to someone about it. That statement bothered me a little as I had just sold my 94 Bounder and was very proud to pass on any and all info to new buyer. Anyway The saleman and I via phone went over the Carfax for a half hour and he said he looked at the odometer monting bolts pressed the buttons and the mileage appered correct and he insisted it was a slerical error. At this time being excited and wanting the coach I agreed with him and we continued our conversation he stated the windsheild was chipped and that it would be covered under the previous owners Insurance and I said great I would arrange my inspection tomorrow.

My inspector arrived on a staurday afternoon and spent several hours from what I was told by my saleman and had left and would call me in a few minutes. Well my inspector lost my number and it was late saturday so I could not close the deal so I called North Trails and spoke to the sales manager and he gave me till monday to complete the inspection. When I spoke to the inspector on modaay he informed me he was unable to road test the coach as the slides would not close. I asked if he would go back on monday and road test he agreed. I then called my saleman and asked why he did not tell me the coach was not road tested and got silence and then he said oh it had a dead battery and he would replace it. I said Ok the inspector came back and completed the roadtest and told me all was great .

At this point I was ready to close the deal so I reached out to my saleman and said lets close the deal but had he read the email I sent in the AM asking if the title was clear of any mileage errors or the dreaded "TMU" total mileage unkonw which basicly devalues the coach at least 30% well here it is this is the response I received via email not phone mind you as all our other dealing went and I am copying and pasting here

Chuck,
I went to management to get a read on what the title says regarding the "TMU" and he said regardless of what the current title may say, the new title will read "TMU" because we are of the knowledge that there may be a discrepancy in the mileage and we MUST disclose any knowledge of that issue so it will be a "TMU" title. Thanks...Doyle

My thoughts here instantly were how can this be are they already in posession of a bad tiltle?

So for the next few day I went Back and forth via email and phone with the GM at Nothtrail who on at least 5 occasions via phone insisted that the coach would be clear of any "TMU" but that it would have a EXEMpT from mileage because in FLA the DOT will inspect the coach and exempt it from mileage as its over 16000 pound. I said OK as long as it does not have "TMU" on the title he said on the phone once again it will not. So i contacted NJ Dmv and they do not accept EXEMPT on there title that it needs to be actual or it will be deemed "TMU". I also ran the carfax of my cousin who last year purchased an 07 american tradition from lazydays and its well over 16000 pounds and it shows actual mileage not "EXEMPT".

So once again I had the general manager send me his contract and a legal statement that they typed up after checking the mileage in the cummins computer stating there was only a few miles differnce between the odometer and the cummins computer . I said great all seems well but could you put in writing on my contract the title will be clear of any "TMU" he said and again this is a cut and paste

Chuck,

"If you feel better, write on the left side under where it states appliance will work: "Mileage will not be listed as TMU" then sign"

I responded

"what was really make me feel better is if you add it to the mileage disclaimer and the contract I would be glad to sign it"

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

He Responded

Chuck,

I advised you incorrectly. we won't accept the contract if you write anything on it. I am not able to change the contract or the disclaimer.
Everything has to stay as it is. If you would like to continue, come on down and see if you want to purchase the unit. I have done all I can to this point to assist you. I will let you know when I hear about the windshield.

Thank You
Steve

All I am asking for in writing is this am i getting a clean title? All i have in writing fromm North Trails is that no matter what i would receive a title with a "TMU" on it. Am I missing something here?

Oh and BTW the contract they wanted me to sign asked for a $5000 NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT I have all the emails and docs backing this up What are your thoughts?
ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

At this point...walk away...keep looking...
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ChuckNJ,
This is simple, if NT refuses to provide a title with the mileage on the odometer, cut and run. You have done the best you can and one needs to know when to move on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Run

I walked away from a deal at North Trail. Too bad I sold my 02 Diplomat 6 mos ago or we could have a deal goin here. I never thought of checking CarFax on my old rig....who knows what it said. There are hundreds of RVs out there.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
At this point...walk away...keep looking...

You will find another one, better.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Walk if you can't run.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Non Refundable!!!, No Way In The World regardless of anything else.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
CAn you represent clear title and then this?

Thanks all for taking the time to read. The worst part here is I spent $300 to have this inspected and quite honestly feel I have been frauded. I am in contact with the FLA Attorney Generals office to look into this matter .If you could aLL read the emails back and forth and the tap dancing arond the issue it would make you sick. They tell you how they are a family run buissness and they would take care of me like family? I emailed everyone in the ERP family who own North Trails and have yet to have any response back except from the General manager stating he could not meet my "DEMANDS" My demand??? A clear title in writing?? "DEMANDS"? If i did not ask the last minute I would be out 2 flights to Fort Myers art $400 a pop and the $300 inspection charge because they are basiclly as far as i am cocerned usiing unethical buissness practices. I encourage them to prove otherwise !!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Non Refundable!!!, No Way In The World regardless of anything else.
Huh?
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

I would not buy that MH if it was that last one in these United States of America. Then I would just change what I wanted in a MH........Sorry but they are not worth my second email............my 2cents..........

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Huh?
Just a different way of saying run a way fast.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

If I read this correctly, a mechanic read the cummins engine's odometer and the mileage appears to match. If you can get the printed report fom the engine (you can also read the engine info anytime later, if required...) then you should be satisfied that it has to be a clerical error or the mileage was reported incorrectly at some point to cause the discrepancy. This might not be an ideal situation but if this is the only thing wrong with this deal, I don't think I would necessarily pass. I think that when you go to re-sell you could provide the engine's report with the title and any reasonable future buyer should not be overly concerned!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
If I read this correctly, a mechanic read the cummins engine's odometer and the mileage appears to match. If you can get the printed report fom the engine (you can also read the engine info anytime later, if required...) then you should be satisfied that it has to be a clerical error or the mileage was reported incorrectly at some point to cause the discrepancy. This might not be an ideal situation but if this is the only thing wrong with this deal, I don't think I would necessarily pass. I think that when you go to re-sell you could provide the engine's report with the title and any reasonable future buyer should not be overly concerned!

was satified with the Printout.. I just want the dealer to state on my contract in writing the title would be clear of "TMU" as the only thing I have in writing from them is that in fact it would have a "TMU" Please reread my post
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

I don't have to re-read. All I am saying is there is not much the dealer can do, the titles office has a situation with a discrepancy and may have no other choice but to label your title with a TMU. What I am suggesting is that because the engine mileage matches the odometer, I would be happy and would not necessarily turn this down. But then again, it's all up to you. Good luck finding the perfect deal...

Tags
purchase