Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Purchase input - gas Bounder or diesel Expedition?

We are in the process of purchasing our second Class A. We have two contenders, both from non-local dealers. I'd like some choosing the better option. The contenders : a 2004 Bounder 35E, gas, about 65k miles, and a 2002 Fleetwood 36T diesel with about 45 k miles. Price for both is virtually identical. Both appear to be in good shape, and have all of our requirements. We will camp primarily on the East coast, not full time. We might want to tow our Sonata (will require a tow dolly) which is about 3500 lbs. Assuming I can get comparable support and repairs from the respective dealers, is there a winner? Why? Would you recommend an Extended Service contract? From who?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Purchase Decision

While I'm in the throws of the same decision, all my research has led me to go diesel. Not knowing what your plans are, I believe from a durability sense and comfort of drive and towing in any type of terrain, that would be my choice. I know there is a little more maintenance on a diesel, but the paybacks are greater and you might be able to keep the coach for the long run vs a gas unit..............just my input and opinion....

Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the decision depends much on usage model. Here is our situation. We have a gas coach which we feel is best for our usage model of once a month weekend nearby trips and couple times a year week long vacations. It's cheaper to maintain than a DP and gets the job done well. At retirement in a couple few years we plan to be half timers with multiple trips a year of a couple three months duration and longer distances. The benefits of the diesel will be better utilized and the cost justified to us.

As for the service agreement, a search will find many existing threads where this has been discussed extensively. Many folks on both sides of the fence. I have a middle of the fence perspective, in that typically I do not support service agreements as one will come out ahead being self insured. However, I think a service agreement can have a place in the purchase of a used Motorhome. Buy just a one year term with a high deductible as a mitigation against large cost unknown or latent issues. At the one year point and having gained history with the coach, evaluate whether to continue or go self insured.

Good luck with your decision.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

Glad to have you here.

You've asked a question where you will get many different opinions. Gassers are cheaper to operate from a maintenance stand point. Diesels have better rides due to air suspension. Pusher diesels are quieter when driving. Gas models have mid entry doors that a lot of people prefer. The choice is, which floorplan is more suited for you.

Good luck with your choice. Keep us posted. Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Normally I am on the side of a gas MH for short trip & occasional use. To chose between your two choices tho I would have pick a
2002 FleetwoodExpedition 36T over a 2004 Bounder for the same dollars.

The Expedition is a couple steps up on the Fleetwood pecking order and "probably better built". As a DP it will be much more comfortable and quieter going down the road. 4-5 years from now it will also be worth more $$.

Also, I dont do MH service agreements.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Floor plan!!! And welcome!! My DW and I had the same question when we sold our fiver and got the mh. With my DWs back we had to get a DP for the ride. Much smother than most gas. The expedition you are looking at you will find is much better appointed with more goodies. Mine came stock with things like central vac, satellite dish, surround sound and a washer dryer.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

first: floor plan that is best for you
second: gas if you're only a weekender-
cheaper fuel, easier maintenance, and
more similar to what you're already used
to driving(no air bags, etc)
third: diesel, by far, if you plan on a lot of
miles, mountains, or a heavy toad

I'm biased on the DieselPusher because:
- we are fulltimers
- we travel a lot, lots of miles
- we pull a four down Toad
- air brakes and bags are great
- DP generally sits much lower than gassers
(you can also dump your air bags to lower
your travel height if you get caught at a
low tunnel or overpass)

We owned a 5thWheel, a Class A gas, and now
a 2014 ThorPalazzo 33.3 bunkhouse DP

would not go back to the other two : )
Old 03-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

Test drive both
Old 03-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I traded a 2001 bounder gas 33' that I liked but the over hang over back axle made it tough to drive if you where going on a long trip. I threw money at it but the fixes did not meet my needs. I moved to a 2005 expedition 38' 300 cat diesel, 3 slides.. We love it floor plan, ride and ease to drive.. If I had it to do again I would have gone diesel first if I could handle the $$.., good luck
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Diesel instruction manual?

Thanks for all the input. It appears that there is a lot for a non-diesel driver to learn in order to properly drive a DP. Is there a primer somewhere for "newbie diesel RVers" that is a "first locate the ignition switch" instruction manual?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not really, and you can learn most of it right here on this forum. You will find the diesel pusher a more pleasant vehicle to drive because of power and how quiet the ride is.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Not really, and you can learn most of it right here on this forum. You will find the diesel pusher a more pleasant vehicle to drive because of power and how quiet the ride is.
an 02 expedition is a gut less rattle trap...
Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
Thanks for all the input. It appears that there is a lot for a non-diesel driver to learn in order to properly drive a DP. Is there a primer somewhere for "newbie diesel RVers" that is a "first locate the ignition switch" instruction manual?
take a tire gauge.... and look at the tire dates... new tires right out the gate aren't cheep

dealers like to deflate the tires make them ride smooth...
Old 03-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
an 02 expedition is a gut less rattle trap...
Wow! I don't even slam the toilet seat down that hard.

Having no experience with one I would not know.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, diesel, gas, purchase