Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Purchase question from newbie

My family and I purchased a 30 foot c-class a few months back and have loved rving since the purchase. We've already been 8500 miles in it. I grew up camping with my folks in a pop up camper and it's been great getting to experience camping with my wife and 3 young kids.
Now we want to stay out longer and be a bit more comfortable so we are looking to move up to a 40 ft DP and have done a lot of research the past month. We've narrowed it down to a couple of specific models and floor plans.
I'm very interested in a 2006 holiday rambler scepter pdq. It's on rvtrader.com right now.
It's being sold by the original owners son. Unfortunately the owners are now in a nursing home and he is selling it for them. The rig really hasn't been used in the past 2 years.

Here is my question - I know it's bad for any vehicle to sit for long periods of time especially a Diesel engine so how can I be sure it doesn't have issues. They have winterized it when it was stored but did not put stabilizer in the tank and the tank is only about an eighth full.
Tires are original so I know it will need all 6 new tires and probably all new batteries. The son said everything was working when it was stored.
We are planning another big 2 month trip in 6 weeks and would like to have a new to us rig by then.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

Our last MH sat on the dealers lot for over 8 months before we put money down on it. Then it was another two months before we could pick it up. I know that is not the same as this one sitting for a couple of years. If possible have the MH inspected from front to back by someone who knows what to look for. You have already indicated that it will need tires and batteries. Make sure that you work those cost into what ever price that you agree on. As far as the rest goes, change all fluids and filters before it is driven too much. Being stored with only 1/8th of a fuel tank, is not good but might not be a 'show stopper' either.
Good luck, I know getting a 'new to you MH' can be exciting!

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #3

Sounds like your getting excited .
The only problem I can foresee would be getting all the work done over the summer months ( when shops are at their busiest ) in time for your extended trip. Because you would have to get all the visible work taken care of in time for a shake down trip, with time for any other repairs, before your big trip. Picking up a unit that has been stored for a length of time can present some issues for a tight time line.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

I would have the MH checked out by a qualified mechanic. A DP can sit for extended periods of time, but you might have other issues, ie: older heater hoses, radiator hoses that could leak, serpentine belt and A/C belts, etc. You could need a lot of general maintenance to make your trip trouble free!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

i just upgraded form a 93 Diesel to a 07 Fleetwood Discovery that appears to have sat for about 1.5yrs.....
Rig is in prestine shape, not a scratch on her with a WHOPPING 20K on the odometer!

Did have some minor issues but nothing out of the ordinary.. Have the rig checked over real good.

RM
Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the great feedback and suggestions. What a great site and community. I would definitely have it checked before I purchased. Due to the situation of the owners I assume I will have to get a mechanic out to take a look vs taking it to an rv shop for the inspection. Any tips on how to find a qualified mechanic to do this?
And the million dollar question, how do I know how much it's worth? I've checked NADA, any other advice? I want to make sure there is some money left over to cover additional repairs.
Thanks again!!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
A diesel engine is oil fuel based and can sit for very long periods of time. It still has hoses and filters and belts that would need to be gone through.... and the fuel might need to be flushed but possibly not. It is the coach itself that takes the most damage from sitting in the elements for 2 years.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just did what you are facing. I purchased a 2006 Newmar last year. The the good thing was it had new tires. The bad news was the chassis needed lots of work. Change all the fluids. The batteries will be shot. Be sure to check the front wheel seals that's a must do. Also change all the filters. Your looking at at least an $1800 to $2000 bill just for that. Good luck and happy camping.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. That's really helpful. I'll keep the 2k in mind when negotiating price. Was able to find an local rv shop to do the pre purchase inspection but they are booked up 2 weeks. The service guy I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable just need to figure out next step. Thanks again for the feedback please keep it coming.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
possible purchase

crazyrvfamily,

You have been given some very good advice. In posting questions to this site DETAILS are quite important.

Where do you live? If we know this, we can possibly recommend a service center, or mobile mechanic.

What is your budget?

How many in the family?

What type of camping? Mostly RV parks? State/National campgrounds? Dry camping?

The more we know, the better we can help.

Darryl

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Darryl,
Thanks for the reply.
We are based out of Atlanta. The particular rv we are looking at is a 40 ft holiday rambler scepter in Elizabethtown KY. I really like this particular one. Haven't seen it in person just pics.
Here is the link: http://t.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-H...0PDQ-111437167

Price range is $70k to $100k
It's my wife, myself, and 3kids 2,4,6
We enjoy all kinds of camping including everything you mentioned above. I love green space so I'm drawn to state and national parks, the kids like the amenities of some of the private rv parks but the love the state parks too,so they can ride their bikes around.
Because of my job we move around quite a bit, only staying in each camp ground a night to 4 nights.
Rv models we've narrowed it down to are:
Monaco - diplomat, possibly a knight
Holiday Rambler - Scepter, Endeavor, Ambassador - in that order
why these models? We've looked at hundreds of rvs and we like the chassis, cummins engine, fit and finish, and most important - floor plan

Any feedback, advice would be great
Thanks again
Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #12

I could only get the first 6 pictures , possible slow internet at my end but, it looks good from the outside and they had it running when the pictures were taken. I'll help change the belts on that engine any day.
Beats a side rad model , hands down.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's a great looking coach and priced right. Big thing will be tire age. If they need replacing shop it hard. I've had shops The PDQ floor plan has always been my favorite from Monaco and the RR chassis is one of the best. Once again good luck.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had tire shops wheel and deal with me.

Tags
newbie, purchase