Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #1

Purchasing a 2004 Georgetown XL 359TS

Hi Everyone,

I am about to embark on the RV full time lifestyle after living the past 4 years in an apartment. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Georgetown XL 359TS. The rig has 24,311 miles and I will be able to pick it up for $23,500. After looking at the NADA values it seems like I am getting a pretty good deal. My question is, if the rig is completely original, what can I be expecting to replace in the near future?

Also, I will be towing a new 2014 Smart, from what I've read everywhere else, there should not be a problem going four flat. Anyone else have any experiences to say otherwise?

All input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I currently live in New York, for a Newb full timer, where should we visit first?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I would strongly suggest you have a qualified technician and mechanic inspect the unit and give you a report on it's condition if you are serious about purchasing it. If you have seen and been in it to see if you fit the bed, shower and any other small areas and are truly interested in purchasing it, give the seller a deposit and agreement to come to a final price after the inspection you will pay to have done.
Based on these inspections; you will know what you are buying and what it may be worth to you. (value is what someone is willing to give you for a product).
Be sure they check the age and condition of tires. They will only last 5-6 years and are not cheap. Good luck and keep us posted as to results.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrish View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am about to embark on the RV full time lifestyle after living the past 4 years in an apartment. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Georgetown XL 359TS. The rig has 24,311 miles and I will be able to pick it up for $23,500. After looking at the NADA values it seems like I am getting a pretty good deal. My question is, if the rig is completely original, what can I be expecting to replace in the near future?

Also, I will be towing a new 2014 Smart, from what I've read everywhere else, there should not be a problem going four flat. Anyone else have any experiences to say otherwise?

All input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I currently live in New York, for a Newb full timer, where should we visit first?

Thanks in advance.
As far as towing the Smart car it is very easy car to tow. We have been towing it for several years. You will not even know it is back there. We have a 2009. Just make sure you follow smarts preparation for towing in the owners manual if not transmission can be damaged. Also use bungie cords on steering to seat frame to return steering wheel to center or wheels can vibrate side to side. you might check out the smart car forum they have a towing section.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

We bought our 2004 GT 326ds 18 months ago with 60,000 miles and paid a little more than your deal. We are not at all sorry. We bought from a trusted dealer and did not get an indeoendent inspection but did get the Car Fax report which gave us the cinfidence that it had been maintained and had not been in an accident.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the tips so far.

Heating Man - I have read throughout the web to utilize the bungie cords, I will be sure to follow the same guidelines.

Another questions I have, from the people who I have spoke to, they praise the good people over at the "Good Sams Club", I have just purchased their Roadside Assistance (which comes with 1yr membership to the club) and I have been looking into the Extended Warranty they provide. I have heard from a family member that it is worth it, especially given the age of the rig that I purchased. Any one have any experiences or thoughts on it? I am considering purchasing before I pick up the rig incase I may need to use it on the way home .

Thanks again everybody, this community seems to be one of the friendliest and informative on the web!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

I would try to get 06 or newer the chassis has changed the engine and transmission is better. A big difference
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Good luck. I purchased a service contract and don't regret it. I'm not a mechanic and have to rely on techs. There is so much that can go wrong but many on this forum don't think it's worth it.

Where to go first is up to you. Find a destination and how much time you have to get there and just follow the roads. Locate places on the map to visit and highlight the route.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow