Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Purchasing a 2005 Winnebago Itasca Meridan

Hi, We're very newbie! We are in the processess of purchasing our first motorhome and have fallen in love with a 2005 Winnebago Itasca Meridan (model 34H).

We have 2 children (9mo and 2yr) and are slightly worried about space. Currently we are only planning on replacing the table/chairs with a dinette. Eventually we are hoping to find some way to eventually find or make a removable bunk to go over the dinette.

Does anyone have any opinions on this coach or anything we should know about before we are committed to the purchase on Monday?

Thank you!

Fran (Matt, Adelaide, & Blake)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fran,
The dinette in our Journey (similar to the Meridian, but slightly longer) converts to a bed by lowering the table and using the seatbacks to complete the mattress.

If you are converting the coach to a dinette try to find one similar to the one that would have come with the coach and provides this conversion. One of our sofas also converts to a bed. Does yours?

SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #3

Don't know about your floor plan, but ours has a sofa behind the driver's seat that opens up nicely for sleeping, in addition to the convertable dinette that can be used for a child to sleep on. A 2 to 4 inch memory foam topper is a big help in making the cracks/gaps less of a bother.

We love our Meridian. We spent 3 months on the road this year, and are planning 6 or more next year. Woo Woo.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

I can't offer advice on the floor plan but as an RV tech, I can tell you you're getting a coach of quality. They all have problems but the Itasca has a durable reputation. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the brochure for the 2005 Meridian . If you can get a Winnebago dinette that should make up into a bed as should the Rest Easy sofa, in addition to the queen bed in the bedroom

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

fr27davis - There were 5 models of Meridian in 2005. 1 is rated well above average the 39K, the 36g and 39f are rated above averge, and 2 rated below average the 34H and 32T. The main thing the 34H gets dinged for is a short chassis. What that means is that it is likely this coach will wander more than most and be subject to getting blown around with truck wind wash. It is up to you, but if it were me I would stick with the ones rated above average.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just fyi, the rating referred to above is not based on any testing of any kind, but is just comparing wheelbase to vehicle length. As such, although it does provide some information, it shouldn't be relied on when making your decision about a coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

cbeierl - Just FYI - I would not add a post if I thought the information was not useful. I can tell you that chassis length compared to the body length absolutely positively does change the handling characteristics of a vehicle if it is a sports car, motor home, truck, you name it. Much of the reason is it is simple physics. The leverage of the body affecting the chassis increases in an inverse proportion. The handling of my S2000 sports car with a short chassis compared to my Corvette with a long chassis was dramatically different.

I understand that there is much untested information in the charts put together by the RVCG people. I really only use the objective information. Chassis ration is objective and needs no test drive to know that a higher ration is going to give you a more stable drive in winds, truck wash, unstable situations such as rain and snow, and so on. And then I have my own subjective information from when I was test driving a bunch of motor homes two years ago. The longer chassis were without a doubt the best driving ones on the freeway.

There are many many many motor homes with good stable chassis to house ratios. So why not have prospective buyers buy one of those and not the ones not having that advantage?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #9

I have owned and driven (2) 34' Winnebago Journey's for 10 years and over 60K miles now. I have never had a reason to dislike the handling of either coach, other than when I first picked up the new one 5 years ago. After setting the front tire pressures properly and changed 2 front out of round tires, it drove fine.

Recently I have upgraded the suspension with Koni shocks and Motion Control Valves, and it drives better than ever! No complaints. I love driving it.

I surely don't doubt that a 40' or 42' coach drives like a dream, but I like the shorter length as we do a lot of state park camping.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #10

Truthfully, if I had a choice, I think I would prefer a 34 to my 37 (actually 37' 6"). There have been more than a few times when the extra 3 feet were a problem at campgrounds that seem to have been designed for 35 foot maximum. JMO.

It's even worse when carrying something on the rear. (Yes, I'm a Wally Docker)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks to everyone to the information! Sorry that I seemed to have started a war...

I like the idea of a shorter coach (in-fact I was talked up to a 34') but this coach seems small enough outside while appearing to have the roominess of the larger varieties inside.

We are talking to the dealer about replacing the dinette with a Winnebago original. I think we both feel safest buying stock furniture since we are planning on using the seat-belts of the dinette.

It does have a fold out couch behind the driver... (Does anyone know if the carseats can ride sideways? We didn't believe they can which is one reason we are pushing for the dinette.) We are still hoping to figure something for bunks later, if anyone knows of any plans, so there's enough space that friends can join

Thank you everyone for your help. I feel much better about the investment knowing so many people enjoy theirs! I'll report back once we get it and try it out!

Fran (Matt, Adelaide, Blake, & Pierce <- poodle)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2004 Meridian 34H and love it. 79.000 miles with stock suspension in all kinds of wind and no problem. Great power to weight ratio. Never never had a problem with it. We travel 4-5 months a year. You have made a GREAT purchase. Good Luck
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

I'm sure that rig is great, but if you are still shopping you should check out a bunkhouse unit. It's really great to be able to put kids to bed and still have the living room for the adults.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #14

x2 for the bunkhouse floorplan. We purchased a damon challenger 376 last year with the bunks and it works out perfect..IMHO. As far as car seats go, the State of Ohio says they can face sideways. We have 2 couches in our coach. For just a piece of mind we place them on the couch that does not have the slide. Even though the state of Ohio says its ok to place car seats in "the safest location" I would be sure to check out your local laws as they may differ.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, winnebago