Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Purchasing A Class A

The Mrs. and I are looking at purchasing a class A. We currently own a 35' Dutchman Victory Lane 5Th wheel with a 10' toy box. Tired of taking two vehicles if we have to haul the boat. ( 21' sabre E6 jet) aproximately 4500 lbs.
we are unsure of what makes or models to look for. Looked at a 32' Tiffin Allegro BR. Real nice unit and lay out, but unsure of the power for towing the boat. It had a Maxxforce 7 engine that they rate at only 215 HP and 560 ft/lbs of torque. Some others we looked at as well, Thor motorcoach 37 GT, and Fleetwood Excursion. Looking for a length of 32' - 38'. Unsure of going with a diesel engine or gas. Some of the smaller units seem to be lower in HP that have the Diesel. The V-10's seem to have higher HP numbers but less torque and probably poorer fuel mileage. Need enough power to tow the boat. we will be running the mountains up here in Canada.

Thanks In Advance.

Up smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Looking to keep the price under $165,000 if possible.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Boat Weight

What does the boat and trailer weigh? I am on my 3rd V-10 and pull a Honda CR-V with no issues. Steep grades my speed is reduced to around 50 MPH, though slower then the speed limit, I am passing 18 wheelers.
CC..... Happy Rving!!
2013 Newmar - Canyon Star 3940
2012 Honda CR-V toad
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Diesel will give you more torque at lower RPM's, which helps with towing and relative fuel economy. But, diesel engine maintenance is different and can cost more for some service. Diesel fuel costs more per gallon.

Gas engines are familiar to most drivers, and have a fairly low operating cost outside of fuel consumption.

Do you plan a lot of long-distance trips? If so, a diesel may be the economical choice. Also, for mountain driving, the diesel will give you good performance going up through the mountains. BUT -- going DOWN is more challenging. A diesel doesn't have the engine compression brake effect of a gas engine. You still can downshift for some resistance, but you need to watch speed carefully and mind your brakes on downgrades -- don't let them overheat. An exhaust retarder (exhaust brake or "Jake Brake") is often an option or add-on that restricts exhaust flow in a diesel for a much better engine braking effect. It adds cost, but it's a huge safety benefit for mountain driving.

I drive a gas-powered Class A now, which is fine for the weekend trips and regional vacation trips we take now. When we start making longer runs, we'll probably trade up to a diesel.
Eric & Holly + 2 kitties from New Hampshire
1992 Winnebago Adventurer 32'
AdvntureCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Look at the new Fourwinds Super 'C'. 34 feet long with 10,000lb towing capacity. Build on the F-550 chassis.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Boat and trailer weigh 4500 - 4700 lbs.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Well Cheech, I mean UpInSmoke... At 45K to 47K you are pushing the limits on most gassers which typically have a 5K limit though a newer V10 would certainly pull that with out any problems. Your budget of $165K also puts you into some very nice used DP.
I would try and visit some of the larger dealers and walk through there used DP to get an idea of what you you can get for you budget.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
My vote would also be to look at getting a DP motorhome. You can get into a high end build quality DP real easy in your price range. Look at Newmar, Tiffin, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Monaco just to name a few. Good luck.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Your budget of $165K also puts you into some very nice used DP.
X2, If you are looking for a new purchase, many of the larger manufacturers offer the Cummins 340 HP ISB in the price range, and you have the torques advantage for towing.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Here is a nice unit i have been druelling over for a while. it is a mid diesel pusher, with a 400 hp diesel. it is has a small toy box, but you dony loose any interior length. ypu would barely notice the boat behind this unit.

I see your from canada. this is for sale in kelowna.

Castanet Classifieds - Ads for Kelowna, Penticton, and Vernon - RV's - Castanet Classifieds

Kelowna is offline   Reply With Quote