Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll add a little here.

I still think the majority of the so-called steering problems with the Ford chassis is more to the driver's inability (or inexperience) of driving something that size. I've never had a gasser, but I have driven them but only after I've had many years and miles of driving larger rv's. Our first coach was a 35' DP and it took me many hundreds of miles to learn how to keep it in a straight line. Once I did, the steering problems disappeared.

With a gasser, you have to remember that the engine is right there beside you and with any significant grade, it will downshift to a lower gear and higher rpm. The higher the rpm, the more noise it makes. With a DP, the engine is in the rear and for the most part silent even on steep grades.

The gasser is on a spring chassis whereas the DP is on an air bag chassis. The rides are very different.

Gas is getting really cheap right now, whereas diesel is still up in the mid 3$ range. However, the DP will get better mpg (not much more...but better) and it also requires 3 to 4 times more oil during an oil change, plus it requires 2 fuel filters and a large oil filter. Oil change on a DP will cost close to $100 even if you do it yourself.

So, I think it boils down to how often you will use the mh and how many miles you will put on it. You hardly ever see a full-timer driving a gasser. Both have much the same floor plans, but most gassers have the entry door mid-ship whereas the DPs are normally in front of the co-pilot's seat.

I'm with others....drive both versions. One after the other, if possible.

Good luck

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Just a thought....a gasser will be on a Ford F53 chassis that will require a lot of suspension upgrades before they will provide acceptable ride and road handling.
Will you be ready for that?
That's definitely an absolutely ridiculous and false statement.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #31

We just bought a new 2014 Newmar Bay Star 3103. We have made NO changes to the ride or handling, and the coach drives fine. It does not drive like my Honda Accord, but I didn't expect that. The first time I drove any distance in it, was a 9 hour run up the Florida coast to S. Carolina. To make the banket statement that ALL motorhomes on the F53 chassis drive and ride terrible, and require massive changes to be acceptable, is just wrong. I would recommend looking at the RV Consumer Group. They rate motorhomes on many categories, one of which is Drivability. A quick insight to that, is the ratio of wheelbase to overall length. A ratio of over 53% will handle much better than one with a lower ratio. A ratio under 50% is listed as unstable. It is pricey to join, but if you are talking spending money on a new coach, it doesn't sound like a bad investment. We haven't done anything to our coach to improve the handling, and at this point, don't need to. Each model coach is different.

Your Results May Vary!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #32

Purchasing a new RV

My bad. Many have had issues. Not all.
Cheap Handling Fix

However, it is surprizing how many folks buy a rig without test driving it on all types of roads.....and after buying complain about ride and handling.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #33

CampDaven - I wasn't trying to step on any toes. Sorry if my post came off heavy handed . There are some gas motorhomes on the F53 chassis that are actually dangerous to drive, but there are some that drive and handle well. Is it as good as a 600K 45' diesel pusher with a tag axle and air ride? Hell no! But then again, I can't afford one of those anyway.

When we flew down to Florida to buy or coach, I was so worried about the handling, that I was trying to plan where I could get my corner weights and how I could do the CHF with no tools to speak of. As it turns out, I didn't need to. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones

There are those that spend thousands of dollars trying to get their coach to handle ok.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My bad. Many have had issues. Not all.
Cheap Handling Fix

However, it is surprizing how many folks buy a rig without test driving it on all types of roads.....and after buying complain about ride and handling.
In most cases the ride and handling issues can be corrected with tire pressure and a good alignment. A DP is more stable in the wind only because it weighs 15k lbs more and that can show up in a softer ride as well. I don't want to haul that extra weight around. My 24k MH drives much easier that my previous DP's. My wife loves driving our gasser but after a few attempts at driving either of our DP's she didn't want anything to do with them. When I went from a gasser to a DP, the first thing I noticed is the huge weight difference. My Monaco handled poorly but my Winnebago Journey was excellent. Maybe it was the difference between the Roadmaster chassis to the Freightliner. My Canyon Star handles as good as my Journey and way better than my Monaco and it doesn't move around in the wind much different. It's easy to control even a strong side wind. I've owned both and I really don't care what anyone buys. It does bother me when the DP people look down on anyone with a gasser as being inferior. A DP is not "better" than a gasser. A Corvette handles much better than my F150 but I don't want a corvette.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #35

OK Folks..........I was on a Tiffin sight (forum) and just saw a bunch of unhappy campers in regards to quality of coach and things falling apart, etc on relatively new units.........? Is something happening here or is this just the Tiffin turn to have issues and Newmar will follow....?? Not to start a fire or war betwwen the two, but just wondering what is going on..........if anything....
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #36

It comes down to the same story, if you are going to compare then compare equally. Apples to apples, top to bottom. I'll wager that the Coachman will in no way compare to either of the Newmar of Tiffin.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #37

Mine is back at the dealer now for some repairs. Nothing major but the problems are so obvious I find it hard to believe the people building the MH didn't know they were installing these things wrong.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
OK Folks..........I was on a Tiffin sight (forum) and just saw a bunch of unhappy campers in regards to quality of coach and things falling apart, etc on relatively new units.........? Is something happening here or is this just the Tiffin turn to have issues and Newmar will follow....?? Not to start a fire or war betwwen the two, but just wondering what is going on..........if anything....
It seems par for the course for all makes that they all have their problems.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 11-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
I think if you go to ANY specific brand forum, you're gonna find those that have problems with their coach. Specific brand forums have lots of experienced people of that brand who have had (and fixed) the same problems....which is probably the reason a person goes to that forum.

For what it's worth, our 2013 Phaeton (Tiffin product) has only had a few very minor problems with absolutely NO major problems. However, I've heard of others with the exact same coach as mine that have experienced some problems that required them to take the coach to the mfg'ers factory to get fixed.

Go to any specific brand forum and see what I mean.

Ron
Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #40

I would like to weigh in on this. We have been rver's for 40 yrs. I do not own a motorhome and have never owned one, I have had the good fortune to drive both diesel pushers and gas motor homes of friends. I have had 11 towables including the last 3 being fifth wheels. Now I think most are overlooking one important issue. How do you plan to use your motorhome?
the same coach 36 ft gas or 36 ft diesel pusher, the pusher will cost about $30,000.00 more because of the engine, frame and suspension. Plus maintenance is greater on the diesel.
Do you plan to cross the united States several times a year or maybe one or two trips across in your lifetime?
If it is the latter you can not justify the cost of the pusher unless you just have money to throw away.
Most of us when retired make that cross country trip once or twice then settle down to a few weeks here and a few week there.
Just do the math.
These are just my thoughts, you do what works for you.
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rving4us View Post
I would like to weigh in on this. We have been rver's for 40 yrs. I do not own a motorhome and have never owned one, I have had the good fortune to drive both diesel pushers and gas motor homes of friends. I have had 11 towables including the last 3 being fifth wheels. Now I think most are overlooking one important issue. How do you plan to use your motorhome?
the same coach 36 ft gas or 36 ft diesel pusher, the pusher will cost about $30,000.00 more because of the engine, frame and suspension. Plus maintenance is greater on the diesel.
Do you plan to cross the united States several times a year or maybe one or two trips across in your lifetime?
If it is the latter you can not justify the cost of the pusher unless you just have money to throw away.
Most of us when retired make that cross country trip once or twice then settle down to a few weeks here and a few week there.
Just do the math.
These are just my thoughts, you do what works for you.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #42

We plan to do one big cross country trip. It will probably take 2-3 months to do it. Then it will probably be confined to trips up and down the East coast. The plan is to use it frequently, but at the same time, have something that is affordable for us to use and maintain. We have no plans to become full timers, but our coach is rated to do snow birding. IMHO, if I sink all my spendable cash in motorhome payments, fuel, insurance and maintenance costs, we wont have enough left to enjoy ourselves. That's what made the decision easier for us. We opted for a new Newmar Bay Star gasser. It's a great coach, and it fit our needs.

Closed Thread