Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #57

Rodz, mine is the Seued color for 2014, it has the suede color like yours but the suede color is a smaller part of the color and has r white,cream areas and then mixed with maroon and black patterns, if the makes sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #58
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
Hey Folks,
We have been researching the best Class A to purchase. We had narrowed it down to a Newmar Canyon Star 3610 or a Tiffin Allegro 36LA, both gas models. I liked the quality of the "guts" of these two mfg and felt either would be a good choice..........then I found Sportscoach Cross Country 360DL which is a DP. I have not seen this coach other than on the internet and talking to salesman. Of course they tell me they are quality/great coaches every bit as good as a Newmar or Tiffin. Looking at what I could it seems they use good materials and follow good practices, but why can I get a DP for the same price as a gas coach.? The Sportscoach salesman says because the Newmar and Tiffin are overpriced and the Newmar salesman says the Sportscoach is a "quality nightmare".........Need some help out there to see what the "real story is.............it will certainly help when I can put my hands and eyes on a Sportscoach, but until then, any help will be appreciated.
Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago are my choices after owning two MH's and having just ordered our 3rd.

We "shop" the Hershey RV show every year whether we are actively looking or not. Those three manufacturers consistently have great features, floorpans and build quality. Our current Winnebago Journey DP has been a dream to own/drive for 4.5 years. I hope our ordered 2015 Newmar Ventana will be as good.

A gasser will have limited CCC and towing capacity compared a DP. A gasser on the F53 chassis will be noisy and hot from the drivers seat compared to a DP. The DP and gassers have VERY different rides with air bags vs. springs. It's been touched on here but handling of some gassers (depending on the wheelbase and length) can be a handful. Even at it's best, the handling of an F53 chassis isn't in the same league as a DP IMHO.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago are my choices after owning two MH's and having just ordered our 3rd.

We "shop" the Hershey RV show every year whether we are actively looking or not. Those three manufacturers consistently have great features, floorpans and build quality. Our current Winnebago Journey DP has been a dream to own/drive for 4.5 years. I hope our ordered 2015 Newmar Ventana will be as good.

A gasser will have limited CCC and towing capacity compared a DP. A gasser on the F53 chassis will be noisy and hot from the drivers seat compared to a DP. The DP and gassers have VERY different rides with air bags vs. springs. It's been touched on here but handling of some gassers (depending on the wheelbase and length) can be a handful. Even at it's best, the handling of an F53 chassis isn't in the same league as a DP IMHO.
What a crock.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #60
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
What a crock.

What exactly was a "crock" about my post? (Confused)

Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #61

Deleted response.

Rodz -
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
What exactly was a "crock" about my post? (Confused)
Absolutely nothing.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #63
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the reality check. LOL.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #64

Well I think Newmarpusher is being a little generic in his comparison. Not everyone needs to tow another house behind them, and the gas chassis of the right size for the MH has plenty of CCC and towing capacity,(mine is over 5300lbs NCC) so I don't think that is limited. Also the ride on ours is just as good as some of the older diesels(2005-2010 area) we test drove. The front seat area is not hot in ours and like any engine it only gets a little louder when you are climbing a significant grade. If my MH drives straight, track well, doesn't get pushed around by wind or big trucks, and I can drive with one hand while I drink coffee with the other, and get the same place you do in a diesel, I would consider that being in the "same league".

I think that the "crock" part is that some of us purchased Gas MH's over diesels for various reasons and personal preference, and others buy diesels over gas for the same reasons. But when people ask for opinions on gas vs diesel and chime in , we usually don't bash or put down the diesel, like some diesel owners do about gas. I think that at the end of the day we all share one thing in common and that is we all love to go MH'ing, no matter what type of MH we bought or how old/long/ect it is. Being generic and lumping them all into one isn't fair, even more so if you haven't driven one. Some are really just built better than others so don't compare the poorly built ones to the better built diesels...Just my opinion, but quality is in the eye of the beholder, for some it's price, for some it's status, for some ease of maintenance, for some it's how much they can tow....but they all get you where you want to go.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #65

Yep, it's paper plates for me in my 36LA... CCC is only about 2500lbs.. The good news is that it handles very well, is very quiet compared to my old 1999 Chieftain, and there is no heat issue around the dog house. The dog house has a very low profile as well. I think the F53 has come a long way. Just can't carry 5 Tons of stuff.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #66

Mike and Cha........received response.....we are going to Dallas this weekend to see all 3 MH together......That will be the best way to compare. Even with all the comments regarding the Sportscoach, I still want to see it because all the elements are there and just need to see if it is a quality built coach or not (I do like the idea of the DP and air ride)........we'll see as Newmar is still the front runner......thanks again, Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We need not to put down owners of a gas coach because there have been some much improved gas chassis' and I happen to own one, the defunct Workhorse.
After owning many Fords which were truck chassis in 03 purchased a KSCA on the Workhorse, much better ride, more storage and the best Chev 8.1 and Allison on the market at the time.
Compared to the Fords at the time was the best so much so that Ford was forced to build their first RV designed chassis because WH was taking away their chassis market.
WH after 2011 left us and we all have the Ford RV chassis left to chose from but a much improved RV chassis.
Peoples choice's depend on many things what you have under you doesn't really matter in the long run what matters is the traveling, meeting of follow RV'ers and enjoying the lifestyle as long as you have what ever wheels it takes.
There is no need to put anyone down whether we own a DP or Gas chassis we are all looking for the same result.
Ford Chassis
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #68
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Well I think Newmarpusher is being a little generic in his comparison. Not everyone needs to tow another house behind them, and the gas chassis of the right size for the MH has plenty of CCC and towing capacity,(mine is over 5300lbs NCC) so I don't think that is limited. Also the ride on ours is just as good as some of the older diesels(2005-2010 area) we test drove. The front seat area is not hot in ours and like any engine it only gets a little louder when you are climbing a significant grade. If my MH drives straight, track well, doesn't get pushed around by wind or big trucks, and I can drive with one hand while I drink coffee with the other, and get the same place you do in a diesel, I would consider that being in the "same league".

I think that the "crock" part is that some of us purchased Gas MH's over diesels for various reasons and personal preference, and others buy diesels over gas for the same reasons. But when people ask for opinions on gas vs diesel and chime in , we usually don't bash or put down the diesel, like some diesel owners do about gas. I think that at the end of the day we all share one thing in common and that is we all love to go MH'ing, no matter what type of MH we bought or how old/long/ect it is. Being generic and lumping them all into one isn't fair, even more so if you haven't driven one. Some are really just built better than others so don't compare the poorly built ones to the better built diesels...Just my opinion, but quality is in the eye of the beholder, for some it's price, for some it's status, for some ease of maintenance, for some it's how much they can tow....but they all get you where you want to go.

I didn't mean to start an argument. I was simply trying to answer the OP's inquiry concerning people's brand recommendations and the differences between DP's and F53 based gassers using "My" opinions and observations.

I mentioned the three brands "I" prefer. DP or Gasser, those are the three brands I prefer for the budgets I've always have.

My answers about DP's vs Gassers were "generic" by design and not met to put any one down. In the budgets many of us have, and the OP was looking at, the houses on DP's and Gassers are nearly identical in design. What varies is the workmanship and the chassis. I mentioned the three brands "I" feel have the best workmanship in the budget I and the OP were looking at. I was simply trying to spell out what the chassis differences are and give a eye into why one might choose a DP over a gasser.

I respect anyone's decision to go gasser or DP. There was never an intention on my part to get personal or put anyone's MH or decisions down. I've never stated that anyone's opinions or choices were a "crock" and only ask that others afford me the same courtesy. We all have varying opinions, budgets and priorities and there are coaches out there that fit all of those. I welcome reading anyone's opinions of why a gasser is a better choice than a DP for them but they should also welcome reading my opinions on why I feel a DP is a better choice for me without putting my opinions down.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #69

I'm not putting your opinions down nor do I feel like we are arguing, but you are the one who said "thanks for the reality check" as if there was no doubt in your opinion. And you're right it's your opinion but maybe not a reality.

If you haven't driven one of the New Newmars or Tiffins on the new Ford F53 gas chassis, I don't think it's fair to say that they are not in the "same league" as a diesel, or one is better than the other. Both gas and diesel are great MH's in my opinion, they both have plusses and minuses. If you looked at the Newmar Canyon Star gas MH's you would see that Newmar has remodeled the body very similar to the diesel line, and the interior quality is pretty much the same, and they definately put quality workmanship into the interior and exterior build. All the time people ask me how come my diesel is so quiet, until I tell them it's agas modle and they look a little closer. For me the price really wasn't the deciding factor, although for pretty much the same equipment as I got the Ventanna was about $90,000 more. Are the new Ventanna's a little nicer than the New Canyon Stars, or Tiffin 36LA, probably and they should be for the cost. But they are definately all in the "same league".

I didn't put down your opinions, moreso just pointed out what I felt was the "crock" that you asked about. I just didn't think you gave the gas models a fair shake, the OP was asking for positives on both to help make the decision. Maybe he feels like he has to buy a diesel to get a quality ride and that is just not true. And after all you and I must have something in common as we both bought Newmar's and feel that is a quality MH in our opinions. Take care...Mike
Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK everyone this debate will go on for ever all points well received which ever way to go, the OP should have a good understanding of chassis involved.
His problem now in the MFG forums of the coach he decides for his chassis which ever it might be.
We can all wish him well.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Closed Thread