Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Purchasing a new RV

Hey Folks,
We have been researching the best Class A to purchase. We had narrowed it down to a Newmar Canyon Star 3610 or a Tiffin Allegro 36LA, both gas models. I liked the quality of the "guts" of these two mfg and felt either would be a good choice..........then I found Sportscoach Cross Country 360DL which is a DP. I have not seen this coach other than on the internet and talking to salesman. Of course they tell me they are quality/great coaches every bit as good as a Newmar or Tiffin. Looking at what I could it seems they use good materials and follow good practices, but why can I get a DP for the same price as a gas coach.? The Sportscoach salesman says because the Newmar and Tiffin are overpriced and the Newmar salesman says the Sportscoach is a "quality nightmare".........Need some help out there to see what the "real story is.............it will certainly help when I can put my hands and eyes on a Sportscoach, but until then, any help will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.

See My RV Upgrades
Old 11-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Hi John and Cathy.............thanks for the response.............hope I can make a good decision as it can be confusing with all the choices.............
Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Have you ever traveled / owned an RV? What draws you to the Newmar and Tiffin?

We've had the fortune to own a few brands and they ALL have issues. You buy the Newmar, Tiffin, or Sportscoach and you'll encounter problems. From what I've seen "most" issues are product related and not necessarily assembly or brand issues. The 36LA is a popular coach, but in my opinion would be a bit underpowered on that 26K ford chassis. (We put 34K miles on our 2013 Tiffin 35QBA.)

With that said, don't go into the diesel pusher thinking it is going to run circles around the gas coaches. Performance wise, it would perform about the same. Service intervals would be a bit longer, but cost more. The biggest difference in my opinion would be that the rear diesel would be much quieter than the gas coaches. Diesels have more systems than gas coaches and require a bit more operating knowledge to get them down the road.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck. I spent the last 3 years planning to buy a RV. Back and forth on MH or 5er. Finally decided a MH and keep my paid for Scion xB for a toad. Back and forth over DP or gas, then decide I could get newer with gas and since I am no mechanic, gas would be a little friendlier to me if I chose to do some service myself. Gas is cheaper now as well. Buying an older DP could mean thousands more in updating the electronic and amenities. Then I started looking for the right one. I liked the Tifton's and made offers on 2 used ones but got refused and/or outbid. I really didn't want to get one until spring but then a Canyon Star popped up on a sale site and it looked great on line. I called and made an appointment to go 6 hr drive away to see it. I was the first and I made an offer and after some short and fast negotiation we settled on a price. The following week I had it inspected and last week I drove it home. I love it! Lots of extras, the Banks system on the v-10, and the previous owner took very good care of it--as anal as me. One thing I was told was if you plan to travel a lot with it the DP can be pretty warm at night in the summer trying to sleep over a still hot diesel. I guess this wouldbe more of a problem with a lower end unit than one of those 600k $$$ ones. Also, if you aren't going to put a ton of miles on it, the DP can be pretty pricey. Well, wish I had some expert advice, but all I got is my opinion, and we all know how they can be.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

thanks.......my early research just showed the level of service those two companies have; not sure about others, but i think you are correct that they all have issues.....want to see that Sportscoach DP as it is priced nicely and Coachman has been in biz for many years..........i think in the end it will be layout, price rand customer support......thanks again and looking forward to our first MH
Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Of the three I would pick the 36LA. I like the shower and recliner set-up.
Plus when on the road at Walmart type parking stops, bedroom slide is on the drivers side.
Door side has no slideout for bedroom.

good luck
T J
Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

I have a Canyon Star 3610 and a close friend just bought an Allegro 36LA. They're very comparable and you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
Of the three I would pick the 36LA. I like the shower and recliner set-up.
Plus when on the road at Walmart type parking stops, bedroom slide is on the drivers side.
Door side has no slideout for bedroom.

good luck
T J
What difference does it make what side the BR slide is on?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A dp will get you a little better ride, air ride suspension but they are more expensive to run. As far as running circles around gas I doubt they will, you'll get a little better mpg with the diesel and could probably tow more. I love my dp but I think that is a testosterone thing, kinda like having a tag axle. Your probably going to have some problems with any thing you buy, the dealership will either make these problems go away quickly or make them into long drawn out repairs. If you are somewhat of a handy man it will help no matter if you buy gas or a dp
Good luck partner. let us know how it goes.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
What difference does it make what side the BR slide is on?

I think they are just trying to say that when in a pinch you can make the door easily accessable and the slide hidden. Maybe?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think what the post about the bedroom slide is trying to point out is with both the living area slide and the bedroom slide on the driver's side, the MH will be about 11' wide with the slides out. If the bedroom slide is on the passenger side then the MH will be roughly 13' wide. Our MH has the bedroom slide on the passenger side and it has not been a problem but some campgrounds want to know. Only inconvenience we have experienced was the wife knocked her head pretty good on the bedroom slide coming back to the MH in the dark one night but I don't think she will make that mistake again.

----- Jim
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #13

Purchasing a new RV

I had gassers and diesels. Test drive them all on the same bad road and take a mental snapshot (have DW take a video?) so you can imagine how the ride of each one will make your bum and lumbar feel after a long drive...and after several days of driving. :wink:
Then picture yourself buying a gently used DP with air ride at about what you would pay for a new gasser.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #14

Thanks all.........lots of good info here; haven't found a used that I either trusted or felt good about yet, so I'm leaning toward the new gasser, but will keep looking......heading to TX to see both Tiffin and Newmar side by side; was going to look at Sportscoach but I think I got the message loud and clear bout quality, etc........A new DP for essentially the same price as new gas coaches does make one wonder.............