Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Purchasing Class A

Anyone have any experience purchasing a used Class A from Vacation to Go out of SC. It seems they deal with Repo's. They have some decent looking Rigs for sale and I am debating whether it is worth the trip up from FL to look at his inventory.
bobgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you buy anything from a repo place, make sure you get it professionally inspected and that all the court documents are available. The inspection also should be done on rental units.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
If you buy anything from a repo place, make sure you get it professionally inspected and that all the court documents are available. The inspection also should be done on rental units.

Couldn't agree more on a professional inspection, unless you have previously owned a RV. Additionally, for a motorhome, get oil samples analyzed for engine and tranny...not that expensive for the benefit. See Blackstone Labs website.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post
Anyone have any experience purchasing a used Class A from Vacation to Go out of SC. It seems they deal with Repo's. They have some decent looking Rigs for sale and I am debating whether it is worth the trip up from FL to look at his inventory.
You might want to go online and check out Cranky Ape they have a lot of repos in different parts of the country. Also PPL in Houston Texas largest RV consignment dealer in the USA.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Couldn't agree more on a professional inspection, unless you have previously owned a RV. Additionally, for a motorhome, get oil samples analyzed for engine and tranny...not that expensive for the benefit. See Blackstone Labs website.
I know of someone that bought a 2008 CC Magna from a woman, couldn't get it started so had a Cummins tech come out. He threw some parts at it and they finally had it towed to a Cummins shop. Spent some $20,000 on it. Drove it some 20 miles and the engine (an ISX 600) threw a rod through the block. Not even Cummins in their shop stopped the engine from blowing up. Then there was our ISX 650 dropping a valve, plus some others.
Basically you can catch a few things with an oil analysis but not everything!
Personally I'd go with JG Lubricants.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I personally would stay away from a repo RV. There are so many good used RVs with maintenance records that I wouldn't even go there. We just sold our RV with PPL and were pleased as the seller. PPL does mainly consignments. Most used RV's have been spruced up to sell so don't have a false sense of security that because it "looks" good, it must have been well taken care of. Anything can be made to look good but it's what you can't see that can be very costly!!! With any used RV, a must is to get it professionally inspected. And take what the salesperson says with a grAin of salt. And don't be afraid to walk away. Good luck!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #7

I wouldn't go there just to do some shopping. The only way I'd go out of state would be for something I'm REALLY interested in, and that would be after closely inspecting an extensive collection of pictures.

Not sure where you are located, but there are a TON of coaches available for shopping/inspection right there in Fl.

As far as a repo, people have had mixed luck. Myself, I would have to be looking at a price attractive enough to make it worth the gamble - and that would be AFTER a thorough set of inspections were done. And not one penny would change hands until I was able to go over it in person.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I wouldn't go there just to do some shopping. The only way I'd go out of state would be for something I'm REALLY interested in, and that would be after closely inspecting an extensive collection of pictures.

Not sure where you are located, but there are a TON of coaches available for shopping/inspection right there in Fl.

As far as a repo, people have had mixed luck. Myself, I would have to be looking at a price attractive enough to make it worth the gamble - and that would be AFTER a thorough set of inspections were done. And not one penny would change hands until I was able to go over it in person.
I returned yesterday from a trip up to Piedmont, SC (just up the road from Vacations to Go in Williamston). Kountry Koaches is also a repo dealer and their 2005 Alpine 40QD for much less than $70K was a heck of a financial deal enough to warrant the drive.

While I can't speak for all repo dealers, these people take units in and resell them. If there's no water in the tank with which to test the plumbing, so be it. If the jacks are spastic, tough. If there's residential refrigerator, but no inverter, somebody musta took it. Filthy mattress cover?...leave it for the next guy. Air slow to pressurize?...too bad. Screen door latch missing latch parts?...force it open. Both front seats and the lounger torn and worn?....didn't that show up in our photos? Day/nite shades either missing or looking like the cat won the battle?...yep, must've been a big cat.

They are very honest, and tell you without question that they aren't going to fix anything. Personally, I'm a fixer and prefer something to work on over something that works perfectly (my coach). However, having so many things that need fixing, without being able to get those guys to diagnose things (and touchy that I wanted oil and coolant sample) made this a 2-day trip for educational purposes.

If you're going to a repo dealer, try to get him to supply data on what was tested, if anything. Seeing a $300,000 motorhome with a list of 20 items that need replacing, repairing or adjusting is a lesson that some people are animals that just happen to live in a motorhome instead of that single-wide.

Tags
class a