RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I can't remember the exact one we used but if you google RV purchase agreement there will be several. You can also note on the agreement that there is an amendment included with the purchase agreement. On that amendment you can include what ever you want and the seller will sign off on. This is where I would clearly state the purchase is based on an oil analysis and certified RV inspection and that any and all issues that are found must be resolved by both the buyer and seller. If the two parties cannot come to an agreement, all deposits are returned to the seller.

Very good! Thanks

mromberg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't worry too much about the contract. As a purchaser, you don't need a complex agreement.

From your perspective, all you care about is that the seller warranties that they have title (provable by the existence of a state-issued title), and that they agree to transfer that title to you (evidenced by signing the title over to you.)

If you're buying used nobody is going to give you a warranty, but that is assumed in the contract anyway.

Contracts do not require any legal-ese or magic words. Write up your agreement in plain language, make two copies, both sides sign and exchange copies.

The seller would be wise to insist on a longer agreement that specifies that the sale is as-is with no warranties, and that there are no oral agreements between the parties. These are standard terms. If there's anything else that you think isn't what you don't want to agree to, don't sign.

CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
Weíre looking to buy a gently used Bounder 35K towards the end of the year. Thereís a strong possibility we may have to travel the country to find the right one for us. One of the things I will be certain to do is hire a qualified inspector to write a full report before any money is exchanged or travel plans are made. Can anyone shed light on some of the mechanics of such a transaction and the best way to protect ourselves. Note that we may be buying from a dealer or a private party which could make a difference in how the transaction is handled. Thanks!
With sending a deposit for our last purchase, we had a contingency clause in the contract that allowed us to renege on the deal, if we didn't like it.
It's basically a good faith agreement, at best and says that you're just not kicking tires.
On the other note, you shouldn't have to travel the country for finding a good buy. Just come to FL in mid-summer and take your pick, along with some of the best prices, anywhere.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
With sending a deposit for our last purchase, we had a contingency clause in the contract that allowed us to renege on the deal, if we didn't like it.

It's basically a good faith agreement, at best and says that you're just not kicking tires.

On the other note, you shouldn't have to travel the country for finding a good buy. Just come to FL in mid-summer and take your pick, along with some of the best prices, anywhere.

Florida is a long way from San Diego!
We have some nice options on the west coast and Arizona thatíll hopefully work out for us when it comes time to start looking seriously. That being said, there is a 2016 in Clermont Florida at the best price Iíve seen over my couple of months of perusing RV Trader. Just not ready to pull the trigger yet.
mromberg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

Iím going to post my actual experience. Not to be long-winded, but I feel background is needed. My wife and I are in our mid-30ís and I am Active Duty Military, meaning I work full time. Some friends of ours mentioned how great their RV experience has been traveling with small children. We had our son in January 2018. We started doing research and liked what we were seeing.

Upon doing our research, we settled on a few makes and models we were looking for. When looking for these, nothing was in real close proximity. I found our top choice in Ocala, FL from an individual. I didnít have endless time to burn on driving to see it first. He had the coach listed at a really great price, so I didnít figure it would be perfect. I negotiated a little down from that and hired a certified RV inspector. The report came back with just the dash ac not working. To me, that isnít really needed since we have to run the generator to keep little man cool in his car seat. It still provides heat, just no ac. I finalized the deal, flew in and bought it the same day.

So far, it has been a great coach after a year of owning it. I have invested money to fix things, but thatís going to happen on any 14 year old coach. I was unhappy with the internal cleanliness, but that just took elbow grease. I did replace the roof acís this winter (rear one went out and figured the front was not far behind). That was on my want list anyways. Iím currently in the process of coating the roof to create a maintenance and chalk-free component.

I like working on it and making it our own. We plan to own this for at least 10 years (fingers crossed). With all of that said, I invested $60K in a coach that sells in the condition itís in for $75K-$85K normally.

Would I do it again, maybe. I wouldnít do it on a coach thatís over $100K, but so far, itís worked out well for us.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #20

We bought in a similar manner.
We had several conversations with the really helpful couple that owned it, asked lots of questions via e-mail, got copies of all of the maintenance receipts, hired a top notch inspector who did a thorough inspection plus a road test with a 100+ page report containing lots of pictures, then flew from California to Texas to briefly look it over, wire the money and drove it home.
It worked out well for us.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #21

I'm a no vote on sight unseen.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
Florida is a long way from San Diego!
We have some nice options on the west coast and Arizona thatíll hopefully work out for us when it comes time to start looking seriously. That being said, there is a 2016 in Clermont Florida at the best price Iíve seen over my couple of months of perusing RV Trader. Just not ready to pull the trigger yet.
Planes are quick and cross country trips are fun, so......
The good news is that once you arrive, you can change your mind and still find another, without any trouble. Again, the off season of mid summer is best.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #23

I used NRVIA, http://www.hittheroadrvrepair.com/ , for the RV I purchased in AZ, best $ spent. Full detail report. Purchased from dealer out of Mesa, dealer was easy to work with but I donít trust too much what they say. I sent a refundable deposit before we flew out. My dad used same inspector and first 2 were a pass. Dealer FaceTime the RV with a walk around before inspection too. I would do it again.
Hoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
We live in Denver and were interested in a coach in CA. For various reasons we didn't have a lot of trust in the seller so we had an inspection done by an NRVIA inspector. Glad we did because the results of the inspection caused us not to buy.

Later we found a coach in SC, and because we developed trust with the seller, I flew out and did the inspection myself. (this was after reading the inspection we had on the previous prospect and I realized I could do it myself).

The sellers agreed to hold the coach for us without a deposit. We had a wire prepared so that after I decided this was the coach for us, we released the wire. Used a simple purchase agreement template I found online.

I will never forget the 2,300 mile journey home in January.

12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote