Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #1

Purpose for Tire Covers??

What is the purpose of tire covers? I'm new to owning a motorhome so I don't know. I know nothing about this kind of stuff. What other maintenance important factors should I consider?
Thanks in advance!
dwbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The purpose is to protect the tires from the suns UV rays and therefor prolonging the tire life expectancy.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reportedly the UV rays in sunlight will rot the rubber in the tires over time. Putting on covers will prevent this and allow the tires to last longer.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

To keep the damaging UV rays off them and help prolong the life of them. MH tires aren't cheap and you want them last as long as possible (notwithstanding their age and replacement interval). You also want to help avoiding a blowout while driving.

UV rays are bad on rubber tires....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbyrd View Post
What is the purpose of tire covers? I'm new to owning a motorhome so I don't know. I know nothing about this kind of stuff. What other maintenance important factors should I consider?
Thanks in advance!
For outside storage or extended exposure to the sun, tire covers protect against UV rays which can damage tires over time. Tires on RV's wear out by time and weather exposure long before they wear out by mileage. You should also have a non-porous barrier between the ground and your tire when storing unless you are on concrete. Something like plastic jack pads, etc. Some people use rubber mats but these are not recommended by tire manufacturers.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

I have recently inherited the RV from my dad. It has been sitting for 2 years and hasn't moved. It's still in great shape, it's just that it hasn't moved. We are moving it tomorrow. The tires were brand new when he stored it (just parked in his driveway, on concrete) but they haven't been covered up. Any suggestions before we move it tomorrow? Anything we should know? Any projected problems because of sitting for so long?
dwbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbyrd View Post
I have recently inherited the RV from my dad. It has been sitting for 2 years and hasn't moved. It's still in great shape, it's just that it hasn't moved. We are moving it tomorrow. The tires were brand new when he stored it (just parked in his driveway, on concrete) but they haven't been covered up. Any suggestions before we move it tomorrow? Anything we should know? Any projected problems because of sitting for so long?
If I were in your situation I would take the MH to a tire dealer and get them to inspect them. If the tires are only 2 years old, most likely, they are fine. Getting them checked is just a good precaution.
A secondary benefit of tire covers is they minimize the dirt that can get on your rims, making them easier to clean.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd check the tire pressure for sure. You might get some thumping for a mile or so if they have flat spotted while sitting.

Another good use of the tire cover is to keep the tires and wheels clean after you have washed the rig.

Rain water running off the roof will splash dirt up on them.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #9

This active thread is on topic for you.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tire...ns-170456.html

Also, concrete is an enemy that draws the oils out of tires.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To answer the second part of your question---what other mainentance... you should list the MH's year, make, model, size, and chassis info so we can give you a better answer.

Also, if it hasn't been used in 2 years, you may want to have the batteries checked out. They may be dead or the water depleted.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #11

If I guessed right, your 34' Fleetwood Terra has a gas engine. I would make sure the batteries are fully-charged, pull the coil wire, and crank the engine until oil pressure begins to show on the gauge. This helps prevent ruining/damaging one or more bearings and piston rings from a "dry start". Then re-connect the coil wire and start the engine. (assuming you already checked oil level)
Inspect everything you use prior to starting it up for rodent damage or nests, they might cause it to fail or cause damage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

I stoer our MH next to the house on concreat but I place wood planks under each tire long enough to start it each month and rotate the tires a smidge foward then next month back a smidge i.e. that is a foot to a foot and a half. I have been known to leave the engine idle for 30 minutes along with the generator. That seems to keep everything working and a tank full of gas lasts the whole winter. Maybe this year I can break away from work and travel to Florida for the beginning of 2014...maybe.
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
We always keep the tires covered when stopped for any extended period of time. Sun is the culprit. You don't worry about car tires since mileage usually wears them out long before the sun gets to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5275.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	43289  
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #14

I got mine from Sundancer Shades www.sundancershades.com
Queen Creek AZ, 800-547-7791

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3030262921.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	43290

They came to my site in Casa Grande, measured and made templates, came back in 4 days and installed them. A mom&pop shop that was very professional, and reasonable. The shades filter 90% of UV. Other makers may only use 70 or 80% UV screens, and then they ship them to you and you get the joy of hoping you can install them correctly.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote