Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Why does a generator need to be started and why then does it need to be loaded?

An answer besides an anecdotal one would be appreciated.
To be clear, I have read and understand the recomendations.

I bought a 1999 MH that has 6 hours on the original generator. It has worked fine for 400 + hours, over the last 2 years I've had it.

It is stored 200 miles from me, so it will not get run until I use it again, possibly in a years time. This will be my second time storing it for months at a time.

I pull the gas line off the filter, run it until it stalls, hook the line back up and walk away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Putting generator under load in cold temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Why does a generator need to be started and why then does it need to be loaded?

An answer besides an anecdotal one would be appreciated.

Besides the moisture issue, I have also read that exercise also keeps the corrosion off of the slip rings, and keeps them nice and shiny.

Read this cover to cover.
http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #17

Non anecdotal - Here is what Onan says (see page 10)

http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf

Anecdotal - On my 97 coach with propane Onan generator I found exactly like pasdad1 said. The slip rings would get tarnished and the generator would run, but not produce electricity. I had to "burnish" the rings to get the current flowing once again. I learned way back then the need to exercise the Onan whether it be winter, summer, spring, or fall. My current 2006 diesel Onan does not seem to have the tarnishing problem nearly as bad as the 97 propane Onan did.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
A word of caution on the electric space heaters. Your inverters are not made to carry that kind of load constantly. We burnt ours out doing that. Unless you have water in your water heater DO NOT run the electric element because it will burn out very quickly without water. If you want to run some heaters plug them directly into the generator and add to global warming outside the coach. Running the convection oven is a good idea an as long as you're heating it up you may as well bake a cake or fix dinner too.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Thougn I do not recommend 1500 watt space heaters in an RV except possibly in the washer/dryer outlet if so equipped... 900 watt (Same heater on low) not a problem.. One heater to a circuit though.. No more

Circuit is defined as a circuit breaker
I have no problem running a 1500vwatt space heater on hi. One to a circuit is a good idea as you will pop a circuit breaker otherwise.
The last time I had 42 amp load on the generator. It just purred along. When you do finish take the load off and let the generator run under no load for 5 minuets or so to cool down before shutting down.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #20

Much appreciation for all the time and effort given on this thread..
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
A word of caution on the electric space heaters. Your inverters are not made to carry that kind of load constantly. We burnt ours out doing that. Unless you have water in your water heater DO NOT run the electric element because it will burn out very quickly without water. If you want to run some heaters plug them directly into the generator and add to global warming outside the coach. Running the convection oven is a good idea an as long as you're heating it up you may as well bake a cake or fix dinner too.
Your Inverters are not in the 110 circuit from your generator or shore power.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #22
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We also turn on a 1500w space heater, engine heater(about 1000w) and let her rip for 2 hrs or so. Works fine.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post

When running the generator (or on shore power) the inverter is not used. Power to the 110 volt AC outlets comes directly from the generator or the shore power.

Rich
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
we plug in the heater in the same outlet as the keurig coffee pot,no big deal.I am toying with the idea of adding a small in line shutoff on the rubber fuel line to the gen,let it run out of fuel,and leave it,like someone else mentioned,good idea or no ??

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
When running the generator (or on shore power) the inverter is not used. Power to the 110 volt AC outlets comes directly from the generator or the shore power.

On some coaches the generator or shore power "passes through" a transfer switch built-in to the inverter.....so technically the power is not being "inverted" however it is running through a relay. High current can pit the contacts or heat up the relay over time.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #26

My understanding is the reason for "exercising" the generator is mostly for the generating part of the gen set and not as much for the engine part. The electrical brushes rub on a copper part of the armature. During normal operations through out the year, this copper stays shinny and bright and very conductive. However, during the winter shutdown without running the generator this copper can get tarnished and may even stop generating electricity when you fire the gen set up in the spring.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #27

They tell us to run the generator to clean and dry the alternator slip rings and windings but tell us not to run the engine which turns the alternator that has slip rings and windings. Humm.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They tell us to run the generator to clean and dry the alternator slip rings and windings but tell us not to run the engine which turns the alternator that has slip rings and windings. Humm.

The difference is the generator engine is about 50 horsepower, and gets a good workout when producing electricity, warming it quickly.......the chassis engine at 450 horsepower never heats up sufficiently just sitting in neutral. 😃

Tags
generator