Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Puzzled, engine quits???

Hi guys I just aquired a 1991 Pace Arrow and the problem I'm having is when I'm driving for like 10-15 minutes the motorhome just shuts off and it's hard to start like the battery is weak or something but if I jump it it will fire back up....we tested the battery and alternator and everything seems good..I'm puzzled and would like some input on this,thanks
jay317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your cables for wear/breakage or bad connections...especially chassis ground.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Yep, sounds like a corroded ground connection.

When it dies while running, I'd suspect a loose connection somewhere, to the fuel pump maybe. The alternator should supply any power you need to keep running, the battery gets it started.

Looks like you've got a chore ahead, chasing wires and cleaning connections. Even the fuse holders should be cleaned with contact spray.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

On my 1990 a couple of years ago, my engine quit and backfired, I touched the key to restart it and I thought I blew off the exhaust system. I had a bad ignition switch. I had noticed for a few years that the metal ring around the switch was warm. When I pulled the switch it was melted in the back of it. New switch on it and no more warmth.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the fan belt off and check the pulleys. One of them may be binding.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

Ignition switch, bad alternator or alternator connections
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Ignition switch, bad alternator or alternator connections
All sorts of possibilities, how about some info on the engine ? 454 ? 8.1 ?
Excessive starter draw hot would explain the need to jump start but not the stalling.
How long , between stall and re-start ? If you get the cables on will it start right away? Does it seem like something needs to cool down before the re-start ? Will the problem repeat in another 15 mins. after the restart or is this a one time from cold start problem? If you took it out with two batteries hooked up would it keep running.?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #8

It's a ford 460 and I can jump it right away,and it will start on its own a couple hours later
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Jay, could you please take a min. and from the " User CP " fill out a signature line with the info on your RV , so others trying to help don't have to ask questions.
The signature line is the one that appears a the bottom of every post , as below this one.
Thanks
Now back to the problem, grounds, your going to need to check them all, battery to engine, engine to frame, frame to dash, and find the Engine Control Module, the ECM, may have both internal and external grounds, so remove the ECM from it's mounting ( disconnect batteries first ) and check behind for any corrosion , pull the wiring out and examine the connections use contact spray for cleaning. If the ECM is not getting good power and ground, it can scatter the ignition ( spark ) timing causing the stall and with excessive advance , the slow cranking hot. The extra battery amps from the jumper cables could over come the poor connections/ grounds allowing the quick re-start.
Good luck; with electrical problems I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Well guys I got it figured out it was a loose ground wire,thanks to all that helped!!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Thanks for posting that you found your fix.

Safe travels