Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #1

Puzzling electrical issue

The last few times I have connected to shore power with a 50 amp service I only show 30 amps on the monitor panel. A few hours later it shows 50 amps. This has happened in 3 RV parks in the US and now one in BC.

I have checked all breakers and everything normal. Any thoughts????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You may have a bad solder joint on the control panel that sees the 240 volt service.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

I had this problem because I turned of an unused breaker. To me, why power up a circuit if it isn't being used? In my case, it was because they wired the energy management panel to the output of that breaker so the system got confused. Sometimes there was enough voltage coupled around the breaker that it thought there was 240 volts, other times only 120 volts. That's how the system decides you have 50 Amp service. It must provide 240 volts. Make sure all your breakers are on.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X2 that jrusselltx posted

I have the Intellitec EMS system. The display relies on a breaker being turned on, in my case it is the Washer/Dryer breaker.

If you have a similar system the circuit board may be going bad. I had my circuit board fail and the system defaulted to 30 amp, meaning I could use any of the appliances wired through the EMS board (2 AC's, Electric hot water heater, and washer dryer). I bypassed the board until I could replace, just had to limit what we used.

If you can't fix the problem you may try and call M&M Electronics. They support the Intellitec system, 419-965-2662. I contacted them with my problem and they walked me through troubleshooting & reset procedure ultimately determining the board was bad. I bought an upgrade board from them as mine was discontinued.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think it is a simple case of bad campground power. Get yourself a multimeter and learn how to check voltages on standard 10 amp, 30 amp, and 50 amp plugs. I think in all those cases, you will find a leg without voltage. Your system will sense that as a 30 amp circuit.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think it is a simple case of bad campground power.
Unlikely to have the same "bad power" in three different parks. It could be a bad shore power cord, though. That would show up at every park visited. And an intermittent connection on the shore plug might start working again after a bit.

No power on one leg would usually mean that half the power inside the coach was out, but sometimes that goes unnoticed.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In addition to a bad connection, burned or corroded contacts on the shore side of the transfer switch could cause that also.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #8

My first thought is a bad plug or transfer switch connection. If it happens again, give the transfer switch box a couple of good raps with the handle of a big screw driver. If the monitor immediately reads "50 amp" you will know it is the transfer switch. If the rap on the box does not fix it, jiggle the plug at the shore power post and see if that remedies the situation. If it does, you probably need a new plug.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
My first thought is a bad plug or transfer switch connection. If it happens again, give the transfer switch box a couple of good raps with the handle of a big screw driver. If the monitor immediately reads "50 amp" you will know it is the transfer switch. If the rap on the box does not fix it, jiggle the plug at the shore power post and see if that remedies the situation. If it does, you probably need a new plug.
Last fall I had a RV service center in Panama City Beach FL perform some service including repairing the inverter/charger. Unfortunately they did sloppy and incomplete work. I suspect at this point the wiring connections coming out of the shore power cable drum may be loose where it connects to the inverter charger. The plug on the shore power looks good and secure. So far I haven't had the 50 amp jump yet but will try first wiggling the shore power plug, then tapping the inverter and wiggling around the wires going into it. Hopefully that will do something. At any rate, we are moving again today and after we arrive at the new destination, before connecting, I'll pull the cover of the inverter and physically check the connections. I'll keep all posted on results.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For those interested, check the forum for SE US and see my response to someone looking at service around the Panama City Beach FL region. Sorry place to deal with.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Last fall I had a RV service center in Panama City Beach FL perform some service including repairing the inverter/charger. Unfortunately they did sloppy and incomplete work. I suspect at this point the wiring connections coming out of the shore power cable drum may be loose where it connects to the inverter charger. The plug on the shore power looks good and secure. So far I haven't had the 50 amp jump yet but will try first wiggling the shore power plug, then tapping the inverter and wiggling around the wires going into it. Hopefully that will do something. At any rate, we are moving again today and after we arrive at the new destination, before connecting, I'll pull the cover of the inverter and physically check the connections. I'll keep all posted on results.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For those interested, check the forum for SE US and see my response to someone looking at service around the Panama City Beach FL region. Sorry place to deal with.
No, not the inverter, the automatic transfer switch box. The shore power moves from the long black power cord to a surge guard (if you have one) to the automatic transfer switch to the Inverter/charger/converter.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #11

UPDATE; It may be a while before I can trouble shoot further. It's unlikely we will have 50 amps for a while on the way to AK. The one park I thought was 50 amp was only 30 even though the plug was 50 style. The next night was 50 and that's what I had inside. We'l see how things develop.

Tags
electrical