Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

quality issue '06 HR Endeavor

The passenger chair has an automatic footrest, with a pad attached to the mechanism. Well I noticed that the pad on one side was loose and fell down. I looked underneath and sure enough a bolt that holds it on had fallen off. I looked on the other side and it was attached with a screw, so I guess they ran out of screws and used the bolt. I am disappointed with the quality of our holiday rambler 2006 endeavor. Two crown moldings fell off while we were driving. Upon inspection it showed that they were held on with a couple of tiny nails and a bit of glue. Well, dh fixed it with a good nail gun. Be sure to invest in one of these, I guarantee you will have to use it some time or another. How do they think all these things will stay stationary when you are rockin and rollin down the road. We have learned a lot in our first year of full timing. See our blog, joelandesta.blogspot.com hit n the roadf, and see our adventures.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

I know things get frustrating but the items you mention on a 7 year old unit are really not taking away from the quality of the Endeavor. Wish I had a list like that on my beauty. You did not mention if you purchased new or used. If used prior owner (tech) could have done the fabrications. Happy travels and hopefully good luck

Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

We bought the rig used but that doesn't excuse the poor workmanship I have experienced and heard from owners of new rigs. The manufacturers have a philosophy of build it cheap and fix it under warranty, not a philosophy that I believe is the best for consumers. The factories laid off their best people when the recession started, a very bad idea. As long as buyers accept this method of manufacturing, we will continue to be subjected to poor quality. The workers use screws that are too short, too long, don't tighten or over tighten. The screws rust and the rig leaks. I would never buy a new rig and contribute to their delinquency. We need to demand better workmanship.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

If you want 'perfection' then spend the big bucks for a Prevost. Most of us buy an RV understanding that its a 'work in process' which requires love, DEDICATION, and creativeness to keep it running to our standards AND we also enjoy MAKING IT BETTER!!

If you want a perfect, problem free vehicle, buy a???? Toyota??? They have numerous problems!!!! Nothing is perfect.

By the way, I'm an engineer and I bought a 2000 Newmar !ountain Aire last year and I LOVE IT!!! Guess how picky I am...

Figure it out. We're not therapists...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr159 View Post
If you want 'perfection' then spend the big bucks for a Prevost. Most of us buy an RV understanding that its a 'work in process' which requires love, DEDICATION, and creativeness to keep it running to our standards AND we also enjoy MAKING IT BETTER!!

If you want a perfect, problem free vehicle, buy a???? Toyota??? They have numerous problems!!!! Nothing is perfect.

By the way, I'm an engineer and I bought a 2000 Newmar !ountain Aire last year and I LOVE IT!!! Guess how picky I am...

You should never be out of a job. Engineers should have to go out in the shop and repair the crap they design. Then we would get a whole lot better engineered products, and everything would be easier to service and repair. Some times I think they see how hard they can make things to get to. I guess its job security for them and their techs.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
GKW

We owned a new 2005 HR Endeaver for seven years and until recently traded it in on a 2012 Itasca Elipse. We were really attached to the Endeaver in spite of having had both mirrors almost fall off due to wood screws holding them on. Also same problem and reason for the front end generator panel almost falling off due to same issue of wood screws holding it on. The rack holding the power cord reel also came loose and dropped down, fortunately contained in the compartment. The power curtains in the front also came loose and fell down. The front overhead TV rattled loose and needed some re-work. In all cases I engineered permanent fixes using bolts with washers and nuts backing them without too much difficulty, but still a pain to deal with. On the positive side, the coach ran like a charm mechanically with no problems the whole time and handled well. We were really comfortable with it. I hope not to have similar problems with the Itasca but haven't used it that much yet.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
You should never be out of a job. Engineers should have to go out in the shop and repair the crap they design. Then we would get a whole lot better engineered products, and everything would be easier to service and repair. Some times I think they see how hard they can make things to get to. I guess its job security for them and their techs.
Exactly what we did with the new CE's with their sheepskins. Took a couple years in the field before they understood the actual work and their heads went down to normal size!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr159 View Post

You think I want perfection? You need to read my post again and think over what I said. In a nutshell, I am asking to get my money's worth. Why you are excusing poor workmanship is beyond me. I am asking everyone to let these manufacturers hear how dissatisfied we are with their low standards. This goes for all American manufacturers. If they want our business back they better start caring about the quality of their products. Engineers need to start demanding better quality of the products they design.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
The passenger chair has an automatic footrest, with a pad attached to the mechanism. Well I noticed that the pad on one side was loose and fell down. I looked underneath and sure enough a bolt that holds it on had fallen off. I looked on the other side and it was attached with a screw, so I guess they ran out of screws and used the bolt. I am disappointed with the quality of our holiday rambler 2006 endeavor. Two crown moldings fell off while we were driving. Upon inspection it showed that they were held on with a couple of tiny nails and a bit of glue. Well, dh fixed it with a good nail gun. Be sure to invest in one of these, I guarantee you will have to use it some time or another. How do they think all these things will stay stationary when you are rockin and rollin down the road. We have learned a lot in our first year of full timing. See our blog, joelandesta.blogspot.com hit n the roadf, and see our adventures.
You have owned this for a year, and those are the two "poor quality" issues you have had with a 7 year old coach, and that is sufficient to label the overall quality as poor? Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to advertise your blog!

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Want great quality and don't want to spend big bucks look at a used Prevost. We went from an 08 42-foot quad slide Beaver to a 99 Prevost converted by Country Coach. Last year we enjoyed 6 months travelling from FL to AK. I don't regret the switch, even though the Beaver was a quality product when compared to most fiberglass RVs.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Rear camera has to be replaced. They put the connector down where it can't be reached except by cutting a hole in the closet to get access. Great design by the engineers. Make the designers do the repairs and we'll see better designs.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
You have owned this for a year, and those are the two "poor quality" issues you have had with a 7 year old coach, and that is sufficient to label the overall quality as poor? Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to advertise your blog!

Kathryn

~~~
First of all, I could care less about advertising our blog as we aren't compensated for you reading it. Second, we've had a lot more dissatisfaction with quality but the list is too long. I had no less than 3 techs trying to stop a water leak that was caused because they over tightened screws on the belt molding over the driver's window. There is a lot more to be desired in workmanship. New rigs often have to spend half their first year in the shop because of poor workmanship. Why are people defending the manufacturers? I guess they happy with anything they are given.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Want great quality and don't want to spend big bucks look at a used Prevost. We went from an 08 42-foot quad slide Beaver to a 99 Prevost converted by Country Coach. Last year we enjoyed 6 months travelling from FL to AK. I don't regret the switch, even though the Beaver was a quality product when compared to most fiberglass RVs.
The Prevost is starting to sound like a good idea.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All RVs are designed by accountents.
They tell the engineers what to spend on the design and the engineers do the best they can.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality