Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
I own a Winnebago, but if it's the best I'd hate to see the worst.
Roger that!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #16

If it is my new Tiffin Phaeton, come buy it.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love our Fleetwood Discovery too. Definitely not out of business. They did remove the towables and properties when they went through bankruptcy a few years ago. I do think you like what you have unless... well, you don't like it. Getting great service when something does go wrong is important. Our service dept/dealer also sells most of the great suggestions offered earlier. Pretty sure we would love whatever we purchased from them. Floor plan is what made us decide on Fleetwood.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #18

Any Airstream prior to 2005 is as much as you need. I keep on seeing these posts from people whose manufacturers have gone totally bankrupt. They installed 'cost efficient' components then wondered why they went bankrupt. Buy the best up front then watch the 'big brands' implode. Why on earth wud you ever pay $500,000 grand for a unit that cost $75,000 to build? You tell me. There will without doubt be posters who will bust me me big time for reccommending an Airstream. Just remember...they are total amaturs. They never owned one.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #19

Entegra. How many other companies offer a two year bumper to bumper transferrable warranty?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY
VTWINWILLIE,
Fleetwood is in business. Their coachs are first class and their tech reps are tops with great service and answers. Our Discovery suits us just fine. The American coachs are tops as are the Revolutions and Traditions.
Regards.
JimB
Thanks so much for the clarification. I knew Fleetwood had gone through bankruptcy, I just couldn't remember if they survived it.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Consumer Reports, We Need You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerr View Post
is there a list for motorhome manufacturers that is in order of quality?
Too bad we're a small market; or, we'd have a watchdog like Consumers.

Existing reviews are like the Japanese dining shows I watch on their TV: everything is declared delicious, the chef is always complimented.

We're still newbies as the name suggests, and I've looked at probably a hundred DPs, driven several. Aside from Prevost, CC keeps bubbling to the top. American and Newmar are also high up, and Tiffin gives them a run for the money. I'd also place Monaco and its iterations among the Newmars. At the bottom of that group, Fleetwood. Then, into the ECs and Winnies.

I think Winnebago is the skinny nerd who is pumping iron over summer vacation, the one to watch. He could well end up being the varsity quarterback. Their other products are great, the DPs have suffered some design and QC shortcomings that seem to be rapidly on the mend. Like Tiffin, the company seems to monitor our pulse as owners.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #22

I'm kind of partial to ForeTravels, when you have folks spending Big $$$ to remodel 15 year old coaches says something for orginal build quality, and older used F/Ts can be had at very reasonable prices, JMHO.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my opinion the best brand is used, a few years old with low miles........they're half price!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you buy it and like it, whatever brand, that's the 'best'! As everyone has written it is all about each individual owner. We have a Fleetwood gasser - love it for the freedom it creates...they're all going to need maintenance and something's going to break; it's a flipping house on wheels. Do your homework, low miles, no wrecks, and the floor-plan meets what you want, and you'll have gotten the right coach for yourself!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
No one has mentioned "looks" either inside or out. We looked for about a year for one that fit our tastes and our needs (wants!). We finally found one that was about the most age appropriate we could find. It seemed that Fleetwood was building coaches with more of a modern look than the others at the time (06 era). We had little problems with ours, the generator (Onan) and alternator (Leese) both went in the first year, but that has nothing to do with the coach mfr. We really wanted a Tiffin Phaeton tag, but last minute traded our Discovery for a another Fleetwood product, American Coach Revolution. I am very surprised by the issues Tiffin is having or seems to be having as of late. They are a very good looking coach inside and out, so I am sure they will get together. Bottom line, look for a coach that fits your style, than hope for the best!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Did anybody say Monaco? No, wait, they went out of business. No, wait, they are back in business but don't support any previous warranties.

Aw, heck, I have a Monaco, but I like it and (fortunately) haven't had any Monaco specific warranty issues.

I can't even afford to LOOK at a Marathon. I can barely afford to spell it.

Bud
2008 Monaco 40' SFT
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just purchase 2 months ago a 2000 holiday rambler DP. IT sure seems to be in better condition than any 11 or 12 years old car.
It looks good, everything works, and we drove ti back from Tucson 2100 miles, no problems. It occur to me they built a high quality coach back then.
Don't know about now.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
Any Airstream prior to 2005 is as much as you need. I keep on seeing these posts from people whose manufacturers have gone totally bankrupt. They installed 'cost efficient' components then wondered why they went bankrupt. Buy the best up front then watch the 'big brands' implode. Why on earth wud you ever pay $500,000 grand for a unit that cost $75,000 to build? You tell me. There will without doubt be posters who will bust me me big time for reccommending an Airstream. Just remember...they are total amaturs. They never owned one.
I don't think you'll find many doubters about Airstream quality, however I think you might be referring to the towables. The reason I would stay away from one is that they have very spartan interiors with few ammenities that others offer- to say the least, no slides. As far as the motorized rv's- there are not large #'s of them out there...maybe someone will chime in.

Tags
quality