Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Quality list

is there a list for motorhome manufacturers that is in order of quality ? Pertaining to entry level motorhomes to highest quality motorhomes
jerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Number 1 manufacturer of motor homes is Tiffin Motor Homes. This I know because I own one.

I don't think there is an official list ranking the makers of RV products. You might find a list of which manufacturer sells the most though.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Matter of opinion. Newmar is number 1.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Rexhall is the best one I have ever owned! (It is my first and only)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago/Itasco is the best. Well you know how it is, everyone that has whatever brand thinks theirs may be the best. Alot of it has to do with their experience with the one they bought and wether broke down alot. Let's just say that if you spent 1 Million dollars on one, you would expect it to be trouble free, NOT. Just more high end stuff to go wrong and only maybe one company that could fix it, thus a real Pain in the A.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It's ALL a matter of opinion...I like American Coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
There is no published list that I know of. There are probably several lists created on this forum by members in response to the same question.

Quality is subjective and usually "what I own "has the highest quality/cost relationship because we all make the best purchase decision.

Quality of materials in general terms is higher in a DP than a Gas MH because of the weight carrying capability of the chassis. If you look at the brand lineups within a manufacturer, the higher priced models will have more materials quality and probably more features.

Assembly quality seems to be luck of the draw on any given rig.

Factory Support quality is only necessary when the unit is prone to failures.

So, when you ask for the list of Quality ranked motorhomes, be sure to interpret the position from which the responder is making their opinion known.

All that said, we think our orphan 1995 Country Coach Magna built on a Gillig Bus chassis is a unit of higher Quality.

I am of the opinion that as features were added to production rigs, quality declined, and price went up dramatically.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Certainly no objective list that I'm aware of. Tiffin sells the most and are famous for their customer support. Newmar has a great deal of loyalty among their owners and it must be for a reason. I own an Itasca and, although I've had quite a number of things which needed repair, have been very happy with the overall quality.

A few years back, I spent the winter at a very high end resort in Indio, California surrounded by million dollar rigs. I got to know the owners quite well. I learned that even these rigs have their share of problems. The big difference is that Marathon will send a tech to your site and take care of issues.

The best advice I have is to not get discouraged when things do go wrong. These are complicated machines which bounce down the road at a mile a minute and stuff is going to break. It's how the mfgr supports you after the sale which is most important IMHO.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
...Marathon will send a tech to your site and take care of issues.
And in many cases that Marathon tech will arrive knocking on your camper door before you even know there is a an "issue" because the computer controls inside the Marathon conversion had already alerted Marathon HQ of an impending issue...

That stuff comes with a hefty price though!
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

All of the brands listed above have proven over time to be reliable/quality coaches. There is more than one, and as others have said, it can be greatly subjective as to which is the best. What you value as quality may not be what I value as quality.

There are some brands that come to mind that I would avoid, but I'll not name them here as I don't want to step on anyone's toes. In general though, the cheaper coaches are cheaper for a reason.

Then some companies build RV's in a wide range of quality and price depending on what market they are trying to serve. Fleetwood (Defunct now I think) comes to mind (I owned one). They have low end, entry level, low cost coaches, with fairly low quality... but they also have high end, high quality, and yes, expensive RV's, and everything in between.

Alternatively, you can also check out RV Consumer Group They can provide you with at least something similar to the list you are looking for. The site used to be free...but not any more.

Good Luck to you.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I own a Winnebago, but if it's the best I'd hate to see the worst.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #13

VTWINWILLIE,
Fleetwood is in business. Their coachs are first class and their tech reps are tops with great service and answers. Our Discovery suits us just fine. The American coachs are tops as are the Revolutions and Traditions.
Regards.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You stand a chance of getting a lemon in anyone you buy.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality