Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #57

Thanks Fugitive 861 I will do that.
Fleetwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #58

By time you purchase the motor take the old one out and getting the fans off and on the shafts your looking at a $500 min for a tech to do it for you.
Probably close to what a new one costs and one hour labor to install.
If you do it yourself it's just the cost of parts the labor is the killer.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood13 View Post
I have just been told my AC fan is seized and it can't be fixed. The entire unit needs to be replaced. Is that correct that the fan can't be fixed?
Yes it can be replaced but doubt the motor is bad...could be the run capacitor or the rubber motor mounts are letting the blower drag.

Recently my son said the front AC fan on our 04 Dynasty would not run so I put the spare run capacitor on it without testing it first... mistake as the problem was the blower was dragging... stopping the motor after a couple minutes. 8-10 years ago I had shimmed the fan motor up stopping it from dragging and tried to do the same unsuccessfully. Once I had the evaporator cover off it was NOT the outside of the blower dragging (there’s plenty of room around the circumference), it was the side dragging on the sheet metal between it and the motor. Took a ax handle (between the motor and the sheet metal) to finally get the blower to move the 1/4” on the motor shaft necessary to stop it from rubbing. All 3 15K Dometic heat pumps are 16 years old and the front one is the only one I’ve had to work on. Buying a replacement 15K unit 10 years ago was cheap insurance.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #60

Okay thanks all. Ivylog what do you mean the blower is dragging? Sorry I don't know. I assume it is in the enclosure to the right of the motor. Do you mean it is getting hung up on the enclosure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleetwood AC.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	254262  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A picture is worth a ........ Someone actually designed something you can work on easily. Yes on the right (different mounting) the blower was hitting the plate (you have 4 screws holding it on) mine is just a hole in a solid sheet metal wall (2’X3’).

Can you turn the fan blade on the left or is it hitting at the bottom? Does it keep turning for 6-8 seconds after giving it a good spin? If only a couple seconds then try oiling the shaft at the motor. Replacing the motor should take less than an hour if you are handy as the 4 screws let you take everything out once you take the fan off...plenty of room so easy to do. Looks like you can even read the #s for the motor IF replacing the run capacitor (inside the box on the R) does not fix it once you get it to turn freely.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #62

Thor Owners Club
We were absolutely floored 6 years ago when our AC (under warranty) on our Thor wouldn’t operate properly—w/o a thought or trial diagnosis another was swapped in. They must be that disposable.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #63

Quote:
I have just been told my AC fan is seized and it can't be fixed. The entire unit needs to be replaced. Is that correct that the fan can't be fixed?

I removed a Coleman-Mach unit last summer for a broken coolant line and stored in my shed. The AC fan was still operational if you’re interested. I’m in southern New Hampshire.
LogHomeFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:29 AM   #64

Thanks all. I won’t have time for awhile to get on the roof to work on this. But I am very optimistic with all of your replies. And to loghomefool thank you for the offer. After I get more info on my issue I will reach out to you if I need a new motor. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Try a heating cooling supply, some will sell some things to the public.Or elect motor shop.If the fans won't come easily off the shaft, cut the shaft. Use pipe or socket to hold hub and a pin to drive out shaft stub. Keep track/lable direction of fans. Ocasionaly you may need to use included shaft bushing to up size the shafts.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #66

Quote:

It depends on the unit. My 15 year old Coleman Mach began to seize fan motor bearings last month. OEM Fasco motor was about $115 on Amazon, replaced the start capacitor too. With an buddy to help it took about an hour after we got the shroud off.

Unless you need a fan motor that is no longer being made a replacement is $100-$250 depending on model.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:46 AM   #67

One option may be to head North for the summer. I’m currently in Michigan. Haven’t used the a/c yet this year.
BradyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive861 View Post
Perhaps looks for a parts diagram for your model unit. I would think that a fan motor, if available, can be replaced. Perhaps even WWGrainger may have a replacment motor with the right specs. Replacement should be able to be done with a/c unit remaining in place. Fan motor can be accessed simply by removing exterior cover.

What make/model unit do you have? I purchased a new fan motor for ours, but turned out to be a start capacitor. I still have the new fan motor. If you're interested, pm me.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #69

Called Fleetwood and found out that flex conduit I could see in the ceiling a/c control box does not go all the way across the ceiling to zone two. He said just pull it out of the wall in the bedroom and cut the wire and butt connect the new thermistor. I verified this with Dometic and then did just that. Installed new thermistor but I still get readings sometimes that are up to 20* higher than actual temps so the a/c unit will not shut off on satisfied temp. Any suggestions ?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #70

So I reset the CCC 2 and still get a high reading on the zone 2.
A/C units are still running great in this 98 degree weather so maybe I got a bad batch last year. Now if I can just get the rear zone to read the right temp ??

Tags
air, air conditioner, quality, roof