Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Quality of Tires on New Coaches?

I've never owned a class A but have done enough research to know tires are of the utmost of importance. I have owned several new trucks and know the tires from the factory are pretty much throw away junk. Similarly, the tires on my new 5th wheel seem like junk as well (I've heard them referred to as "Chinese Bombs" many times).

So, if/when I drop 100K+ on a new coach (thinking basic gasser here) do I at least get a decent set of tires? Or, should I plan to replace them in 2 years and feel as though I'm risking my life in the meantime?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You're correct, tires are important. But they are on any vehicle. On some class A's, it is sometimes difficult to control steering if you have a front blow out. There are several after market devices to help with that, however.

As far as replacing them in 2 years, I think that's a little premature. On any RV, knowing the weight on the tires and then knowing the tires limits is extremely important. It's always recommend to weight each corner of a class A and follow the tires inflation recommendations. Tires can easily last 6-8 years but they need to be cared for. One brand does not work for all class A either. I originally had Good Years on mine and they were junk. Premature wear and rivering were wearing them down quickly. After I had a rear tire blow out, I replaced them all. They were only 4 years old.

If you do purchase a class A, especially if it's used, check the manufacture dates on the tires. Replacing 6 or 8 tires is a big chunk of change. The clock start ticking on their age then, not when you drive it home.

Good Luck

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Most of the New Class A MH's (if not all) I have looked at including the one we bought, and I think all Newmars, have the Michelin Tires on them. I don't consider those cheap tires.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a Tiffin gasser new in 2013. It came with Michelin tires. We have 40,000 miles on the coach and they are wearing very good. They also ride good. The last two new non RV vehicles we bought also came through with Michelin tires. We have 55,000 miles on one a put over 60,000 on the other one with the factory installed tires.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

That all sounds pretty good... Michelins would be outstanding. My Ram truck came with some Firestone's that were just terrible - down to the tread bars @ 25K. And, of course, the ones that come on most TTs and 5th wheels are horrible.

I'm glad to hear when you drop the serious money for a class A you get something good.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Most all Class A's still come with a decent brand & model of tire, e.g. Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc. I worry, though, that the recent availability of cheap, low-grade tires in the sizes that big coaches use is going to leaf to tire cost-cutting on lower end models. Knocking off $1500-$2000 in chassis cost by using a "china bomb" tire is going to be very tempting for somebody. So far Ford, Freightliner, and Spartan must be resisting the pressure...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Correct me if I am wrong

I think the name China Bombs came from the failure of Chinese ST Tires on Trailers, travel and 5th wheels. I don't think the term was used much on Chinese tires on motor homes. It might be worth noting that Michlin had several tire failures on motor homes and at one time their tires were made in other countries besides the USA. As far as Chinese tires go I run them on my Motor home without problems. I feel they are every bit as good as the major brand tires that cost over twice as much, for a Class A gasser. In over 40 years of rving the only tire failures I have had have been american made tires. Never had a failure of Chinese tires. If you perform proper tire maintenance and keep the tire pressure you should have no problems with a Chinese made tire. Hankook, Samson. Just to name a couple. If the Big Semi tractors and trailers use them, that's good enough for me. BTW on a new rig I would be more concerned about the weight of the motor home, and the load range of the tires. I always weigh any new to me rig on a Cat Scale at a truck stop.
JMHO
Mel_B
Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

For the record: Hankook is NOT a Chinese manufacturer or brand - they are Korean and an internationally respected tire maker. Ditto for Kumho, and also Sumitomo (Japanese).

Note the the concern is not for Chinese factories, but for those brands that have no real backing or quality rep. Several Chinese tires brands names are simply marketing names for tires produced in any of a collection of Chinese factories, made with less-expensive materials and little quality control. It's a way to utilize excess factory capacity. 85% of the tires in a batch might be fine, but what if you get some of the others?

If you can get a quality internationally known brand for near the same price, why go with an unknown?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
JMHO

I dids not know that Hankook was not made in China. I was only using that as an example they are still made in a country other than the USA. in my own case I bought 6 ea Samsons
GL283A 245 70R 19.5 load range H Which is over kill for my motor home. They are distributed all over the USA by GTCNA of Canton, Ohio. They are used by many truckers and several Motor Home owners that I am aware of. I have never heard of a failure. I have over 6000 miles on mine without a problem. I have not found a so called major brand that can come close to the price. I paid $1100 for 6 of them mounted and balance on my rig. I purchased mine from GCR a well known truck tire dealer nation wide with over 200 stores. They sell a lot of truck tires for the Big Semis. here is some info and facts.
Mel_B

Chinese tire made by Guizhou Tyre Corp.
Guizhou Tyre Co. LTD was founded in Shanghai and moved to Guiyang, China in 1958 and is one of the leading Chinese tire manufacturers, the home of “ADVANCE” brand. We are the OE supplier of some famous equipment manufacturers, producing six categories and over a thousand types and sizes of Truck, Bus, OTR, Agricultural, Industrial and Solid tires. GTC manufactures both radial and bias tires. GTC has obtained the ISO9001, ISO14001, American NHTSA DOT certification, European E-Mark and the Gulf Standards GCC certification. We produce over 5.8 million tires annually with well over 1,000 sizes.
We are ISO 9001: 2008 & ISO/TS 16949 Quality Management Certificate, ISO14001:2004 Environmental Management Certificate, ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and CNAS Laboratory Accreditation Certificate, SASO, The Gulf standard GCC, DOT, E-mark, 3C, Smartway and Chinese Military Product Quality System.

My Tire is
SIZE
245/70R19.5

UTQGL
SERVICE 136/134M
SUPPLIER
MIN RIM WIDTH 0.0000
MAX RIM WIDTH 0.0000
OUTER DIAMETER 33.03
Single Max Load lbs 4810@120
Dual Max Load lbs 4540
RPM NA
TREAD DEPTH 16.38
SHIP WEIGHT 72.05

Warranty
Limited Warranty
GTCNA hereby warrants every new Samson radial truck tire is free
from defects in workmanship and material for the life of the original
tread of a new tire less 2/32”. The life of the original usable tread
ends when the tire tread has only 2/32” remaining.
50% Free Replacement Warranty
If a defect in workmanship and materials is found in any Samson
radial truck tire within the first 50% of tread wear (calculated by
subtracting one-half (1/2) the difference between the original new
tire depth and 2/32” from the original new tire tread depth), GTCNA
will refund the cost of a replacement. 50% free replacement applies
to first class new tires only as follows:
Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Most of the New Class A MH's (if not all) I have looked at including the one we bought, and I think all Newmars, have the Michelin Tires on them. I don't consider those cheap tires.
I believe this to be true on the Bay Star and Canyon Star gassers. However, the Bay Star Sport, at least my 2016, comes with 19.5 Goodyears.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had two DPs with OEM tires, one had Goodyear this one has Michelin.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Just bought a Georgetown and Michelins as well. Great tires.

Tags
quality, tires