Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
last question before I have to change my user name out of embarrassment...but there's a whole new crew of newbies getting ready for winter, so:

If I can turn the heat strip for the roof Air ON with the thermostat, what do I do in order to turn the LP-powered floor heat ON?

Does the salon's thermostat decide what to use in order to provide proper heat?
If you have electric heat, either strip or heat pump, your thermostat should have two heat settings. One setting should specify ElecHeat. Mine shows Gas heat for the furnace and elec heat for the heat pumps.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
last question before I have to change my user name out of embarrassment...but there's a whole new crew of newbies getting ready for winter, so:

If I can turn the heat strip for the roof Air ON with the thermostat, what do I do in order to turn the LP-powered floor heat ON?

I don't have an answer to your question, but don't be embarrassed. Anyone, I mean anyone, that tries to tell you they haven't been there, somehow, some way, is flat lying.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Rick, please don't be embarrassed. I read all the way through this post just to learn the answers to your questions.
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but don't be embarrassed. Anyone, I mean anyone, that tries to tell you they haven't been there, somehow, some way, is flat lying.

Thanks, guys. Looks like weather's going to get a bit cool this weekend, so I'll do some OJT and get smart about how things work. I'll report back about what I learned.

P.S. funny thing is that there's a heater in the wet bay and I was going to put it up for sale since we never need them down south. Heck, I just changed my mind for in case we travel and get into some weather that might freeze things. I'm slowly learning that RVs are a LOT like boats; you like to be over-prepared, just in case...
Old 10-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our thermostat says Fan only, cool, heat pump, furnace.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
With the year and quality of your coach I would bet you have heat pumps in both A/C units. You most likely have a two zone thermostat you should find heat pump on each zone. On heat pump on the front if the temp go's below heat pump capability the system should switch to the propane furnace. You most likely do not have the system manuals but You may call the company or the brand of heat source and get the manuals or go to your coach type below and ask someone with alike coach for the manuals.

LEN
Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 12ga, 50ft extension cord that we use for supplemental heat when in colder weather. I plug it into the 20amp on the power pole and pass it thru and around the bedroom slide and into the motorhome. Now I have a dedicated 20 amps for a ceramic cube heater that keeps the back of the coach warm. The front is kept warm with the fireplace and another ceramic cube heater. This arrangement is good for down into the twenties at night. We don't camp anywhere it would get colder than that, just personal choice.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I try to park on 50 amps and use as much electric heat as possible.. ONE THING I have found, Motor home outlets and wiring are officially rated for 15 amps. The heaters are 12 amps, SO in theory its safe.. however the nose told me that wires were getting hotter than they should.

So I put in some dedicated 20 amp outlets, each one is fed with 12 ga wire, this is bent around screws not poked in a hole or punched down into a slot. But bent around a good and tight screw.

Each outlet has a circuit breaker all to itself, One is on 15 amp (All I had at the time) one 20 and one is shared with one Air Conditioner (Theory Do not need heat an A/C at same time) the Heavy Duty outlets are also a different color (Dark brown instead of off white) or simplex instead of duplex, to indicate that they are "Different"

No overheated wires when I use them.
Isn't most residential also 15A at the outlets? I think it is in most parts of the country. It's possible your heater is drawing more than it says or what you smell is dust that's collected on the elements and is burning off. In any case, having a higher amp outlet is always good IMO.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Isn't most residential also 15A at the outlets? I think it is in most parts of the country. It's possible your heater is drawing more than it says or what you smell is dust that's collected on the elements and is burning off. In any case, having a higher amp outlet is always good IMO.
I've owned 3 homes. All had 20 amp wall outlets and 15 amp light circuits.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
With the year and quality of your coach I would bet you have heat pumps in both A/C units. You most likely have a two zone thermostat you should find heat pump on each zone. On heat pump on the front if the temp go's below heat pump capability the system should switch to the propane furnace. You most likely do not have the system manuals but You may call the company or the brand of heat source and get the manuals or go to your coach type below and ask someone with alike coach for the manuals.

LEN
Thanks, Len. I couldn't wait for cool weather to try it, so went to the MH and flipped to HEAT, then pushed the thermostat sky-high. Floor air came on almost at once (within 20 seconds), so all seems to be fine.

I didn't feel the roof air kick on, but maybe that's because the thermostat being turned to 90 automatically turned the main heat ON.

Tags
winter