Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question about a 40 ft Country Coach

I parked along side of a 2006 CC 40 foot coach. Why does this unit have a tag axle? All other 40' DP's I ve seen do not have them.

I looked on CL at other years of 40' CC's. and some have tags and other models don't.

I m confused. Maybe just to up the payload?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
I parked along side of a 2006 CC 40 foot coach. Why does this unit have a tag axle? All other 40' DP's I ve seen do not have them.

I looked on CL at other years of 40' CC's. and some have tags and other models don't.

I m confused. Maybe just to up the payload?

We have an '03 Monaco 40' that also has a tag axle. The high end Monaco's and CountryCoaches are built on a Semi monocoque chassis design which is heavier because of the extensive steel framing. While it's possible to build one on a non tag chassis you end up with a fairly low CCC. The addition of a tag will put the CCC up to over 10k pounds. Also adds Extra brake owner and handling/stability. Makes for a great coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Newmar Ventana and above 40s all have tags. Increases GVWR and aids in handling.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Newmar has some 40' Dutch Star models with tag axles.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

I should have worded that better. Both Newmar Ventana and Dutch Star 40s have Tags
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
These are the "race cars" of Country Coach ~ typically offered in a Magna or Affinity line. Not only are they 40' with a tag axial, but they typically have the largest engines (500, 600 or even 650 HP).

Why?

Two markets they catered to - First are those that wanted the possibility of getting into national/state parks or smaller areas. Second, those who pull trailers but concerned about going over the allowable 65' total combined length for most states.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
03 Beaver 40 ft with a tag and 505 HP, 1650 TQ. 8K of CCC. Handles really well and no want for power. More stable, more CCC and better ride.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #8

Country Coach even made a 37" with a tag!
2007 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Junction City, Oregon | Country Coach 31448 | RVT.com - 97059 with Video
Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The tag does up the payload plus add to stability. It has nothing to do with engine size. My coach was built in Aug '01 and was one of the last 40 footers CC built without a tag and at that time the only motors available were the ISC and ISL.

In the early days of the Beavers and Safaris with the 425 Cat they were single axle. They left the factory over weight on the rear
Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
This is off topic but relevant IMO.

I expect the designers looked around and saw the 40' buses that were carrying passengers and freight. Bus drivers claimed more stability and better handling. There was an issue with the amount of load the single axles used on the larger motorhomes could carry.

I expect adding a tag solved some of the problems including introducing a new marketing item. Obviously if one chassis manufacturer offered a tag the rest had to follow along once the market accepted the product.

Downside of a tag is the loss of a compartment. Benefit of a tag is that with the tag dumped the effective wheelbase is shortened. I would expect a 40' tag will have a shorter wheelbase than a 37 or 38' single axle with the tag dumped.

We very much like our tag but have not driven any conditions where extra stability has been required.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doesn't the tag make cornering a bit more challenging? My son drove a dump truck with a raisable tag, and if he forgot to raise it when cornering, it was difficult to turn the corner.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Doesn't the tag make cornering a bit more challenging? My son drove a dump truck with a raisable tag, and if he forgot to raise it when cornering, it was difficult to turn the corner.
Only if you leave it down or the air bags inflated. Once the tag is lifted or dumped the effective wheelbase stops at the drive axle.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It's strictly about rear axle load capacity, which relates to the CCC. Until recently, the max rear axle load for a motorhome on the nation's highway system was 20,000 lbs (it is now 23,000). Some high end motorhomes had enough "stuff" (e.g. tile floors or heavy furnishings) to exceed the rear axle limit, or come so close that the CCC would be really skimpy. The solution to that is to add a second (aka "tag") axle to share the weight load. However, motorhome builders try to avoid that, since it adds substantially to the cost and reduces cargo space as well (you lose two cargo bays underneath, plus the wheel well protrudes into the interior).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's strictly about rear axle load capacity, which relates to the CCC. Until recently, the max rear axle load for a motorhome on the nation's highway system was 20,000 lbs (it is now 23,000). Some high end motorhomes had enough "stuff" (e.g. tile floors or heavy furnishings) to exceed the rear axle limit, or come so close that the CCC would be really skimpy. The solution to that is to add a second (aka "tag") axle to share the weight load. However, motorhome builders try to avoid that, since it adds substantially to the cost and reduces cargo space as well (you lose two cargo bays underneath, plus the wheel well protrudes into the interior).
You are right about the weight on the back end. Our coach is 27,050 lbs.

None of our wheel wells protrude into the interior on our coach. Not sure about other brands.