Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For quality of manufacture & superb customer support, look at Newmar motorhomes.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #16

Having been through both Fleetwood and Newmar factories multiple times, I would never buy Newmar. But it doesn't matter what manufacturer you select, they produce great, good and lemons just be prepared to have to have a punch list of items to be fixed.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're quite happy with out 06 Bounder. The only major repairs we've had on it were:
bedroom slide motor replaced
inverter replaced
converterreplaced

That said, at last summer's Fleetwood Nat'l Rally, during the owners feedback seminar, FW engineers did admit the economy tanking & the bankruptcy in the 2008-2010 range resulted in loss of equipment & experienced people at the factory. FW is working hard to come back, but they realize those years QC/QA was worse than others.

I wouldn't rule out purchasing models from those years, however I would be sure they were thoroughly gone over by a qualified RV tech to look for any issues.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #18

I'm bias but I think a new Storm will be a good choice for you...a new 2015 can be bought for under 80k. Fleetwood support has been great so far.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I'm bias but I think a new Storm will be a good choice for you...a new 2015 can be bought for under 80k. Fleetwood support has been great so far.

I see you have one, have you had any issues? How does it drive? What is your top comfortable speed? What is your actual gas mileage.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
I see you have one, have you had any issues? How does it drive? What is your top comfortable speed? What is your actual gas mileage.
Issues>....a few as with any new RV. Dash AC blew hot which the local Ford dealer fixed with a new compressor. Generator cooling issue which Fleetwood sent me the parts to fix myself (per my request). A few squeaks from the dash and overhead bed which I fixed myself. I added the options in my signature so the unit drives easily with one hand.
Gas mileage average is 8-10mpg. 8 towing our 3000# toad. (with 5Star tuner) Drives like a dream at 70+ but we normally drive between 62-65.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #21

I'm very partial to the quality of the Fleetwood and in my case the Excursion. Almost went with the Storm but personal choice was for diesel, a bit longer and greater cargo capacity (going full time in 6 months). The only problems we've had were dealer/service issues from their own poor workmanship, not Fleetwood's.

I'm with IdahoSRT on the air bags and damper, the Storm is a very responsive rig and a new user would probably prefer it to be a bit more sedate. The smoother ride doesn't hurt either.
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #22

My wife and I thank all the continued information. We want to hear all pros and cons. We have narrowed to the FR3 or storm at this point. Thor ACE is out, it just does not wow us and we have been advised by other Thor owners customer service has issues.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #23

Join the forest river forum and get first hand info on the FR3 from owners.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #24

Thanks, I own a Soleria and a member of the Forrest River board. I know much more about the FR3 than Storm.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Thanks, I own a Soleria and a member of the Forrest River board. I know much more about the FR3 than Storm.
We also checked out the FR3 and ACE.....I didn't like the low ground clearance of those units as we often camp off the level path. (their exhaust pipes are low, 4-1/2" off the ground unloaded)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our 2nd Fleetwood MH. First was a 2004 Excursion and now a 2013 Discovery. Have no experience with the Storm but have been happy with customer service. The Excursion was out of warranty but Fleetwood was very responsive over the phone, even emailing schematics to me when I had problems. The Discovery came with the usual new MH punch list and we had problems with the selling dealer getting us in for service. I was given a direct line to Barry, a great guy who helped us tons! They even sent a driver to pick up the Discovery and drive it back to the factory for necessary warranty work. Three weeks later it was delivered back to our house (the selling dealer said we were months deep on their waiting list for service) and we have been very pleased. Every MH comes with headaches and you can't avoid them but Fleetwood has taken care of the issues we had.

Tags
fleetwood, quality