Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
question about freeze protection in North Central Florida

NO, I did not winterize. Typically our lowest temp is in the high 20's for a couple of hours - 4 or 5 times a year. The forecast is for 19 Tuesday morning and 24 Wednesday morning. Should I be concerned? What are you snowbirds in my area doing. My MH is parked outside at my house - plugged into a 30 amp supply. Forgot to mention, this is my first winter. We just purchased last spring.

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
You didn't mention if the coach is in storage, you are living in it or do you have 120 VAC available to the coach.

I do not know your specific coach. The simplest and cheapest thing to do is place a saucer of water in the utility bay and under the kitchen sink. Maybe in the water closet too. Check it in the morning. If the water is not frozen, your in good shape. If it is frozen, get some heat into the area(s) where the water is frozen. The water in the saucer should freeze before the pipes.

The next simplest thing to do is turn on the furnace and set temp to the lowest setting.

Lastly, watch the news and see what the growers are doing (orange and vegetable).

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
NO, I did not winterize. Typically our lowest temp is in the high 20's for a couple of hours - 4 or 5 times a year. The forecast is for 19 Tuesday morning and 24 Wednesday morning. Should I be concerned? What are you snowbirds in my area doing. My MH is parked outside at my house - plugged into a 30 amp supply. Forgot to mention, this is my first winter. We just purchased last spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
You didn't mention if the coach is in storage, you are living in it or do you have 120 VAC available to the coach.

I do not know your specific coach. The simplest and cheapest thing to do is place a saucer of water in the utility bay and under the kitchen sink. Maybe in the water closet too. Check it in the morning. If the water is not frozen, your in good shape. If it is frozen, get some heat into the area(s) where the water is frozen. The water in the saucer should freeze before the pipes.

The next simplest thing to do is turn on the furnace and set temp to the lowest setting.
Do as Gary posted......you have the Coach plugged in. Keep her warm!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=GaryKD;1871839]Hi LakeKerrGuy,

From my post: What are you snowbirds in my area doing. My MH is parked outside at my house - plugged into a 30 amp supply. If it was forecast as 24 on Tuesday and 19 on Wednesday, I could see the logic in your suggestion. But if the water in the bowl is frozen, will it not be too late? I need to take it out tomorrow and get some propane so I can run the furnaces. As far as growers, I have cabbage seeds started in a cold frame. I put a light with a 300 watt lamp in it tonight. I'll pick the few oranges that survived last spring's late frost tomorrow. Another reason I'm more concerned now than in years past; we live on a lake that normally helps keep the temp up a little. However, we have been in a drought for three years. The cove I'm on is almost dry. Very little water to help keep temp up.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Do as Gary posted......you have the Coach plugged in. Keep her warm!
Do you, or anyone know for sure if my tanks - wet bay are heated by the furnaces?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
Since you have 120 VAC available, put a small electric heater (maybe two) in the coach and don't worry about it. 30 AMP service should handle the load without any problem. Put the heaters on the part of the flooring without carpet. Open the cabinet doors that have plumbing behind them. Per my post, the water in the saucer will freeze before the tanks, pipes, commode. Between the electric heater and the propane furnace set to the lowest temp (I hope you are not completely out of propane). You have nothing to worry about.

Sorry if you only wanted replies from those living in your area. I was born and raised in upstate NY. Lived in the north west corner of NJ and many other cold places.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is late for this post I believe but just to help in the future.

I use a small electric space heater I bought at Walmart. IT is the smallest one they had and is only 600 watts with a mechanical thermostat. I put it in my wet bay area. Right now the temp is12 degrees outside and the temp in the wet bay area is 53 degrees ( I have an indoor outdoor thermometer with the outside unit in the wet bay area.

That will protect all of the pipes and tanks if they are all in that area.

For inside you could do the same thing with a small space heater. Set it in where it is not near any furniture or anything burnable. Make sure you sit it on a non flammable surface. If you have carpet get a piece of tile and set it on that. Between the two of them should keep things from freezing. We are using a space heater inside the coach and it will keep it at 70 degrees with temps above 20 when it starts getting down below 20 such as 12 and 13 degrees it will still manage to keep it at 55. Your coach slides if it has them are probably in so that should be even easier to heat.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My other advice would work but you have a couple of days before you have to worry. Go to Walmart and get two gallons of RV antifreeze. Pull the drain plug on your hot water heater. Close the hot water heater bypass and then use the method recommended for your coach and run anti freeze into the system. Put a small amount in each sink drain. Pour some in your grey and black tanks and drain your fresh water tank. Then you will be absolutely sure you will not have a problem.

I agree putting a saucer in to see if it has already frozen is a bit late. I realize that pex tubing can take freezing better but the pump is not flex and some of the other connections and lines are not pex and can freeze and burst

If you do not have an easy way to get anti freeze in your lines. Go to an RV store get an air line quick disconnect male fitting that is made to plug into your water hose. Hook the air hose to the water hose via the connector. Pump air in at about 45 psi.I go around turning on sinks and the shower about three times until I can turn it on and not get any water out. I then put a cup of RV anti freeze in each drain. I make sure my grey and blank tank are empty before I go home but If I had any liquid in either of them I would empty the rest of the gallon of RV anti Freeze between the two tanks
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #9

Our climate is very similar to yours, and we have 19 degree weather coming tomorrow night. I normally do not winterize the rv, but today I used the air compressor to blow out all the lines. The hot water heater was already empty. I also disconnected the lines at the ice maker solenoid and blew out the supply line and drained the line from the solenoid to the ice maker. If you use this method, don't forget to open the low point drains and let some air blow them clear also.

Fred
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
To answer your questions about snowbird preparations, here are my plans. I will top off my water tank, disconnect my water hose and drain. shut off gray water and empty sewer hose and disconnect. My wet bay is heated so I will install bay access covers. I am at a private Parking spot so I will turn on water faucet to a drip, it is unprotected PVC. Turn up the heat and enjoy!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Do you, or anyone know for sure if my tanks - wet bay are heated by the furnaces?
If you're not sure if your tanks are heated, put a 60W light bulb in the wet bay. The bulb should be protected (such as a trouble light) so it doesn't touch anything.

We have spent several nights in central Florida at temps down around 20 with no problems. Just keep the heat on in the rig and add the light bulb for insurance.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida