Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 2004 Adventurer, 8.1 engine we installed a Banks system on it, what a difference it makes in power, especially climbing. We live in CA & going over the Grapevine (Hwy 99 between Bakersfield and Gorman) we had no problems doing 60 mph where before we couldn't even keep up with the truckers, after install we just flew by them. As far a mileage we did not notice any greater mileage but my husband said the power was worth the costs. We purchased & had installed at Camping World. The system came with a K & N Filter & we had no problem with it either.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #16

Well thanks everyone for your replies, after listening to all your answers I think I'll just stay with the stock filter. I gotta scan gauge yesterday and I've tried it out on my Colorado pickup, and then today I got brave and put it on the RV. So far I pretty much find out what everybody said yes it I get about 7 to 8 miles per gallon cruising between 60 and 65. Yes you're right I am driving a house down the road, so I can't expect 20 miles to the gallon, but I would like to be able to get the best mileage I can. I'm still learning about this RV, does anyone know where I can get an owners manual for this RV its a 2002 Georgetown 306 s . It has the workhorse 8.1, and it would be nice to be able to look up all the different controls functions wires etc. But hey thanks anyways folks for giving me something to think about and answering some of my concerns . Looking forward to many hours of viewing and reading and learning. Thanks again!
Mike

Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecosgrove View Post
Ok guys and gals, this is my first post, I have been reading about all the fuss about gas mileage and the wisdom of driving slower to get better mileage, someone mentioned to me at the dealership that if I get a K&N airfilter it will improve my mpg. So tell me straight, have any of you used the filter and did it improve your mpg? I have a 2002 workhorse 8.1 with 26k miles and just doing a quick check after only 100 miles filled it up and figured about 6 mpg. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Help?

Mike
I will not use one again (had one). This is why: ISO 5011 air filter test report.
You might locate an owners manual from this manuals exchange.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If you have Workhorse chassis 8.1 & Allison trans a removal of air box and Tuba may reward you better mileage and power if also you have the UP Upgrade.
Did mine back in 05 and has paid for itself without question.
You will find many links for your Workhorse here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecosgrove View Post
Ok guys and gals, this is my first post, I have been reading about all the fuss about gas mileage and the wisdom of driving slower to get better mileage, someone mentioned to me at the dealership that if I get a K&N airfilter it will improve my mpg. So tell me straight, have any of you used the filter and did it improve your mpg? I have a 2002 workhorse 8.1 with 26k miles and just doing a quick check after only 100 miles filled it up and figured about 6 mpg. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Help?

Mike

A high flow air filter will not increase MPG. This is the reason why. A stock air filter is designed to allow your engine to make 350 HP (just a number) with the throttle blade (s) at 90 degrees. This is wide open throttle. A K&N may give you a boost of power through more air flow 5-10 hp. But this is also at 90degree throttle opening. When your cruising down the highway, the throttle opening is around 40-50% open. That stock air filter that is designed to make peak HP at 90* open is more than capable of allowing enough air flow 40-50% open. Plus, the computer in the car taking care of all fuel management and emissions is looking for a specific air/fuel ratio. No matter what is going on, the programming to make sure the air/fuel ratio is correct. This is monitored by the O2 sensors. If not, it will adjust the fuel tables to make it correct. If there is to much correction based on it's programming, a check engine light will come on with a lean or rich code indicating there is a fuel management problem.

So do they make more HP, with out a doubt in pretty much all circumstances for what I have seen. On a fuel injected vehicle will it increase MPG, I cannot see how. Usually the driver adding something to their vehicle to add MPG subconsciously will change their driving habits and there is a positive change. The change was not add on component but how they drove.

I have heard in this forum that the 8.1L chevy is programmed to run rich. I don't know this to be accurate but if a programmer was installed to allow for different air/fuel ratios and allow it to run leaner, then you could expect more MPGs.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #20

I've played in the So Cal deserts and have used K&N Filters on everything. Do they make you get better mileage....nope not one but more. They breathe better and last longer in dusty conditions . I like them because you can buy one and clean it and use it over and over the life of your vehicle. I usually clean it when camping at Walmarts because they sell Awesome degreaser !
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Here is a comparison of air filters. Note where K&N is.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
Impressive reports. Thanks for posting.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2 bits

When I bought my F250 7.3 diesel I put a K&N on it for a few months. The first time I took it off to wash it I found dust trails in the intake. That was the end of that!

35 years of riding & racing off road and all my bikes had K&Ns. But you don't expect a bike or quad racer engine to last 500,000 miles. And you can rebuild the top end for a couple hundred bucks. How much would it cost to rebuild the engine in your motorhome? I've read that an in-chassis rebuild could run over $20,000.

Is it worth putting a $20,000 engine at risk for a handful of horsepower or a 3% gain in fuel mileage? Not to me.

Want more flow? Get a bigger filter.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #23

I have had K&N's on several vehicles in the past, until I saw the unbiased tests that indicated they let more "bad" particles into the intake system... It seems to me that if you let more air through a filter, that will translate into more power and possibly a little better gas mileage, however at what expense... My decision to go back to a paper filter was based on the wisdom that a marginal improvement that cost me dearly latter was shortsighted...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm the same as A.C.E., I use to put them into every vehicle until I found how much dirt they pass. Here's something else to think about. A lot of the K&N installations eliminate the air cleaner housing making a lot more noise. If you thought your 8.1 was loud when climbing a grade, it will be worse if you go with an open design K&N.

Another thing that happens is they often get over oiled (hard to know exactly how much to use) and that extra oil gets on the map sensor and will wreak havoc.

I just replace my air cleaner on a regular basis. In my DP, it gets a new one once a year.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote