Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The medical certificate on a CDL license is only required if you are driving commercially. You can have, and renew the CDL without getting the medical certificate as long as you can pass the rudimentary eye exam. I used to drive commercially with a class B CDL but have not had a medical certificate for over 12 years. When I went with another RV'er as his co-driver so he could get his non-CDL in Maryland, the inspectors asked to see my license. I showed it to them and then they asked for my medical certificate. I told them "Not required as I'm not driving commercially." I got a grunt in return and they never said another word to me.
If you check the Indiana code, you can drive any rv with an operator license. There must have been some good lobbying since so many of them are made here. I believe the exemption is the very last line in the weight section of the code.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmills1975 View Post
If you check the Indiana code, you can drive any rv with an operator license. There must have been some good lobbying since so many of them are made here. I believe the exemption is the very last line in the weight section of the code.
Same in Delaware. An RV, regardless of how long or heavy can be driven by a person with an ordinary drivers license. For those states such as Maryland that do require more, a CDL works or their own particular type of non-CDL and unless the vehicle is a commercial vehicle, a medical certificate is NOT required.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #17

The federal max length is 65ft, a few states out west allow 70 ft. Anything over then 65ft you will need a permit. Other than CA and the north east, they rarely check.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
If you get into an accident that is your fault and you are over length, I wonder what your insurance company would have to say? Could they use that to deny the claim?

I plan on hauling a 26' stacker behind our 45' MH. I expect with will be 75' or 76' going down the road. I hope not to find out the answer to the above question.

BrokeDown
It's the lawyers you need to worry about when you kill someone and are over length or over weight - otherwise no one much cares.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Not true for those RVer's heading to Glamis Dunes for the weekend in CA.

California CHP sets up check points almost every weekend to hand out tickets to over-length rigs plus any other violation that they can find.

I have never traveled the I-8 corridor in that area and have no intentions on ever doing it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
CHiPS are looking for drivers that don't have the proper license for what they are towing/driving. A motorhome over 40 feet requires a non-commercial CA driver's license as does a person towing more than a 15,000 pound 5th wheel trailer. Cally requires one to pass a written test and driving test to get the non-commercial endorsement. If you're from out-of-state they don't care about you. In AZ I can drive and tow pretty much anything with just my car driver's license.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you get into an accident that is your fault and you are over length, I wonder what your insurance company would have to say? Could they use that to deny the claim?
Generally, No. Just like they cannot deny a claim if you were speeding or drunk driving (far more serious offenses, right?). Your policy will have a list of reasons for denial, but they are basically either fraudulent statements in obtaining the insurance or commission of a felony crime while using it. Read your policy [some Canadian policies are more restrictive].

What they can do is to terminate your policy afterwards.

The other guys insurer/lawyer may make a big stink about your irresponsible behavior is driving an overlength rig, citing that as evidence that you & your insurer should pay big bucks in atonement for that sin, but that's a different matter than denying a claim.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #21

Thumbs down

Quote:
The medical certificate on a CDL license is only required if you are driving commercially. You can have, and renew the CDL without getting the medical certificate as long as you can pass the rudimentary eye exam. I used to drive commercially with a class B CDL but have not had a medical certificate for over 12 years. When I went with another RV'er as his co-driver so he could get his non-CDL in Maryland, the inspectors asked to see my license. I showed it to them and then they asked for my medical certificate. I told them "Not required as I'm not driving commercially." I got a grunt in return and they never said another word to me.
Maybe some states, in South Carolina if you have a CDL you have to have a medical card. you have 30 days to show proof to state, after 30 days your commercial driving privledge is suspended, after 60 days your CDL will be invalid & will revert to a standard license. here you need a special endorsement on your lic to drive a m/h over 26000 lbs.
dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfracer1 View Post
Maybe some states, in South Carolina if you have a CDL you have to have a medical card. you have 30 days to show proof to state, after 30 days your commercial driving privledge is suspended, after 60 days your CDL will be invalid & will revert to a standard license. here you need a special endorsement on your lic to drive a m/h over 26000 lbs.
I think you need to check your rules closely. The system you stated is probably true for when you get a CDL, but after you get it and show the initial medical certificate then no longer drive commercially, the feds do not require the certificate to hold the license and this is a Federal program. Your state may choose to not renew the CDL if you are not driving commercially, but even that's backwards as driving under a CDL is actually more restrictive than driving under a basic license.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #23

No DMV told me in person that to keep a cdl you have to keep up the medical certification. I retired last July needed med certificate renewed in Sept. I asked at DMV if I had to have it as I wasn't driving for hire anymore, they said to keep CDL you HAVE to keep med cert. current. Sucks!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
The medical certificate on a CDL license is only required if you are driving commercially. You can have, and renew the CDL without getting the medical certificate as long as you can pass the rudimentary eye exam.
Interesting. But if the class B license is only valid with a current medical, I think your license status would revert to a class C if you don't maintain a medical. Which means you only have the privaleges of a class C driver. No???
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Generally, No. Just like they cannot deny a claim if you were speeding or drunk driving (far more serious offenses, right?). Your policy will have a list of reasons for denial, but they are basically either fraudulent statements in obtaining the insurance or commission of a felony crime while using it. Read your policy [some Canadian policies are more restrictive].

What they can do is to terminate your policy afterwards.

The other guys insurer/lawyer may make a big stink about your irresponsible behavior is driving an overlength rig, citing that as evidence that you & your insurer should pay big bucks in atonement for that sin, but that's a different matter than denying a claim.
In order for them to collect extra money for "atonement" wouldn't they would have to prove that being over length was the cause of the accident or at least a contributing factor?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Interesting. But if the class B license is only valid with a current medical, I think your license status would revert to a class C if you don't maintain a medical. Which means you only have the privaleges of a class C driver. No???
What it means for me is that I only have to get a medical certificate if I ever want to drive commercially again. This could even be driving a Church bus or a bus transporting scouts as an unpaid volunteer. In addition, even though I do not need a special license to drive a heavyweight (over 26,001) RV in DE, I can act as a buddy driver for a fellow RV'er who has to get a special license in other states. In addition, since many states are going to the "special" license for RV's, I have the license and won't have to go through that stupidity again. DE has said they are not going that way, but I believe them about like I believe the feds. (ie: not at all)

I went to the time and trouble of getting the CDL once (and it did take time and trouble) so why should I give it up if there's ever a chance I might need it again?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good thing the states got together and did the licensing compact or we'd have to have a DL from each state we were in!
Luckily WA allows us to drive any RV with nothing but our regular license. Private RV drivers are specifically exempted from needing anything else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #28

I believe that a lot of states found that they could gouge us out of a few extra bucks for a special endorsement for M/H over 26k.