Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Question about running the heater

Hi there everyone

Ok we boon dock 5 nights a week and stay at parks on weekends. But this weekend it's negative 7 out and none of the parks have water and my water tank or lines are frozen. So we're staying at a hotel for the weekend to get out of the dangerous cold. Even with the heater and two small space heaters we can't get the bus above 60 degrees in the main cabin.

But the real question is should I leave the furnace on (not the space heaters).
While we're in the hotel. I'm afraid if I turn it off the rest of the water will freeze and cause more damage. N

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

We will be in the hotel for 3 days

We have a 2000 sports man coachman diesel pusher.

Thx
Sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

I would leave the heat on.

Can you put an electric heater in the basement?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as you are plugged in I see no reason why you can't leave the furnace on. Might also consider leaving a light bulb in the bins where the pipes are susceptible to freezing. Either that or head south.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you must leave it on, so you must then do whatever is necessary for that to happen.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to drain whatever water you can from your tanks. If you have electric heat for water heater, leave it on or drain the tank! If you have it put antifreeze in all p-traps and black and grey water tanks, just in case. If furnace is left on and you set it above freezing, you should be ok for interior piping. Open cabinet doors to allow heat into those areas where pipes are. Light in storage where water pump is will help.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #6

Heading south is not an option. I'm on tour and we're playing Nebraska and then iowa this coming week as well as Wisconsin.

We're not plugged in as we're not staying at the rv park. The bus is sitting out in the hotel parking lot. I plan to start her up tomorrow morning and take it out to fill the propane and run the generator to recharge the batteries. I have a small space heater I could put in the bay where the water tank gets filled or I can put a light in there which might be safer for now.

We're making our way east to pa and will be there in 10 days hoping for warmer weather there.

Thx for the comments and thoughts. I feel better now leaving it on. I also left the hot water heater on as well.
We can't drain any water as it's all frozen. Nothing comes out when I open the drains. Like I said its negative 10 degrees here and that is just to dang cold. Thankful for the hotel this weekend. My daughter was even more thankful and was super excited that I let her order room service. She never did that before and thought it was so cool to call on the phone and then they delivered all the food right to our door. LOL. Love my kid!

Sam
Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sam I know that area well, If you can get it inside RV shop or truck shop, get it thawed out, and have it winterized, hope it turns out ok, I've made some repairs on mine from freezing, not fun.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

If I winterized it then I can't live in it. I need the water and everything for cooking restroom showers etc. we will be on the east coast in about 10 days it will thaw out then and we should be good to go. Praying no other damage has happened to the bus. I don't think anything has happened so we should be ok.

Thx again everyone.
Sam

Tags
heater