Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses. It does look like the Steer Safe if the most economical alternative, just got the quote for the blue ox product with installation and it was $1300, a little more than I was expecting. I'm going to check on the Safe T plus as well, as I am a little concerned about the steer safe coming apart after hitting a bump, as was posted earlier. It sounds as if all these products work well.
La.Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Paul View Post
I'm looking at the Blue Ox TruCenter steering control also, I like the fact that it is adjustable from the coach. I do want the added safety in case of front tire blowout, but my major concern is help to minimize the wandering caused by road ruts. Does anyone have experience with this product, and does it help with road rut wandering? Thanks.
I had an '03 National Seabreeze just like yours. I had the Steer Safe installed and it made a world of difference. Road wander all but disappeared. I now have a different coach and have had Steer Safe installed. You won't go wrong! / Larry
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I've had the SteerSafe on 2 rigs, a total of 4 years and over 30K miles. Wouldn't leave home without it. It's simple and easy. And what a difference. I drove this Voyage 40 miles before I had it installed.
As far as the gentleman who had his explode, I would think that it was a faulty installation. I can't understand how anything could go wrong unless the installing mechanic didn't tighten the bolts properly. There is really nothing that can go wrong with them other than maybe a weak spring. And what are the chances of that?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Burns, you give them more credit than I would regarding the instructions . I love the units but I think a 3 year old with a bag over their head was involved in compiling the instructions.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up Steer-Safe A-OK!

Just had Steer-Safe installed at CW...LUV it! Our new-to-us '04 Fleetwood SWind 32 was a very smooth handler, esp with the rear air-bags(50lb)...sweet! read about steer-safe on many school buses for "blow-out" protection and it made sense to me even if it didn't improve our handling that much.
My wife is driving the rig very very well (better than me sometimes...lol-lol) and wanted to get the added safety benefit.
Results: Bravo! Homerun for Steer-Safe! Drove home in 16-20 wind-rain, wind off my rear-pass side with gusts to 32 mph (per weather-band and trees looked it too!!), and she drove really well and much tighter than before...definate improvement! And, feel safer if we ever have a blow-out situation with either of us driving!
CW has it on sale right now, 399.00 and ONLY 44.50 for Professional Install!! I can't or wouldn't put it on for that price! WOW! Great Deal and surely worth it! IMHO....
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Those are some pretty good testimonials, really nice to hear from someone with a rig like mine. I would like to add that I have had the front end parts checked and aligned, and have weighed my coach, total weight is 17,600 lbs, with a little over 6,000 on front axle with me in coach, so I think the weight distribution is pretty close to what I have seen recommended (50% of rear axle weight up front). The coach really drives well on smooth pavement, and I don't have much trouble when passed by big rigs. My only problem has been falling into the road ruts, on narrow 2 lane roads this is really tough when the shoulder is only a few inches wide. It is pretty exhausing trying to keep the front tires on the high side of the rut by the center line, without going over the center line. I take it the steer safe (and the other mentioned products) does help this as well? Thanks everyone!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Paul
Thanks for all the responses. It does look like the Steer Safe if the most economical alternative, just got the quote for the blue ox product with installation and it was $1300, a little more than I was expecting. I'm going to check on the Safe T plus as well, as I am a little concerned about the steer safe coming apart after hitting a bump, as was posted earlier. It sounds as if all these products work well.
If put on right you won't have any trouble out of it. I installed one back in 04 when we bought our 04 Intruder and removed it and put it on our new Bounder this year so it's 7/8 years old and working like new.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #22

i had a set on my old p30 chassis for about 8 years and i did have a part break after about the fourth year and the one spring off and was lost, and i had to buy a new spring at about 45. after shipping. my current ford chassis does ride nice, so i've been wondering if i need the steer safe install, can't decide
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Just put the steer safe on this afternoon. Really pretty easy. No torque specs given, so I just used TTHOT. (tighten the "he**" outta them). Will test drive on Sunday and report back.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Steer Safe

I have the Steer Safe on my 35' Dolphin and really like them. The proovide stability and saftey.
ssmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #25

La. Paul, Have you had a chance to check them out?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I test drove the coach about 10 miles, mostly to make sure there was no drift requiring adjustment. I drove only on interstate, so wasn't really able to see how it worked on 2 lane roads with deep grooves. The steering felt tight, and I could let go of the steering wheel and it would track straight very well. I hope to take a long weekend trip at the end of November pulling the toad, and I should have more insight as to their effectiveness then. I will say that the installation is really pretty easy. I will definitely post again when I have more road time with the steer safe installed.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
I finally was able to go on a trip of about 100 miles, first time since installing the steer safe. What a difference. The coach drove great. Even when it tried to fall into deep road ruts, it did so much slower and smoother, easily correctable, whereas before it would track into the ruts abruptly. It was much easier to keep the coach on the high side toward the centerline. On the way home we had side winds of up to 25 mph and it still handled well. I am very pleased, probably my best investment in the MH so far!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Welcome to the "Club". Life will be much easier now