Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Basically Sir,
With:
Are we only hearing from the unlucky minority while thousands of folks who have few or no problems with their DPs are happily motoring along and have nothing of issue to post here?

Scott
EXACTLY!! I started a couple threads on problems we've had with the ISX in the first month we had it.
BUT, if we had had no problems I wouldn't have posted much about the rig.
We had the previous Dutch Star for almost 13 years with no engine problems so I very seldom posted anything about it, there was no reason to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A lot depends on your capacity for catastrophe. Most DPs will go down the road for a long time as long as you do the services.
But it can happen, and it will be much more expensive than a gas rig.
We had a 7 year old Cummins ISC in a DP. Year one we lost the radiator, due to leaks. A new radiator from Spartan was $2300 plus shipping and a re-core was over $2000. All in all it cost us almost $5000 with labor.
The next year,the engine blew a head gasket and it cost us $13000 to have it repaired. It was right when all the little suppliers were closing doors because of GM and Chrysler and parts were not available. I watched the repair facility work on it most days: they did not cheat us... it just took that much labor to get at it. Parts were $7000.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #17

2006 Mandalay with the Cummins ISL 400 and the Allison transmission on a Freightliner chassis.

65,000 totally trouble-free miles.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
2006 Mandalay with the Cummins ISL 400 and the Allison transmission on a Freightliner chassis.

65,000 totally trouble-free miles.
OP,
You see, it can happen. There's a few zillion diesel coaches out there that had great lives.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Are we only hearing from the unlucky minority while thousands of folks who have few or no problems with their DPs are happily motoring along and have nothing of issue to post here?
DEAD ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
To your original statement, there is nothing wrong with going over the mountains at 40 mph or even 30 mph. If your gasser is paid for and you like it, why not just keep it and enjoy the ride. On the other hand, if purchasing a DP will not change the lifestyle you want, go for it. If you should come up behind me on I-70 west of Denver, I will be going about 38 mph with our 450 Cummins pushing our 51,000#'s up the grade. Wave when you pass me.
I would be neck and neck beside you. That's almost exactly where we are with the F150. My rig is rated to tow 15K but I don't know .................... Maybe 30 MPH at the top?

Most DP's are more expensive in every aspect, not just the power train. Bigger everything means bigger cost and more expensive maintainence and repairs. The bottom line is a DP will do what a gasser will not. It will push a 45K RV down the road 70 MPH, while towing up to 15K behind it. No gasser can accomplish this. Therefore if you want to tow a full size pickup, a Tahoe or Suburban, or an enclosed stacker trailer full of toys, you will buy a DP or a Class 8 truck conversion. If you don't require any of that, maybe a DP is not for you. If you do, then you do not have a choice.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #20

Thanks to everyone for your input. Your comments have been educational, interesting and thought provoking. The wife and I will discuss it some more next week while we lounge beside the flowing river at our favorite get-a-way spot but at this point, I’m leaning toward the status quo. I’ll just have to suppress my inner “Tim the Tool Man Taylor” desire for more power!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #21

Rocky - We had a gas powered coach before we bought a used Country Coach in 2009. I have not noticed much difference in the number of repairs between our gas or our DP. However, diesel pusher components tend to be much more heavy duty and expensive. So a radiator on a gas coach tends to be less money than one on a side radiator diesel pusher.

Here is my bottom line on DP vs gas. If your budget allows purchasing a DP then it is money well spent. There are many reasons this is so, but here are a few of the top ones.

1. To me it is much more enjoyable to drive a DP than a front engined gas coach. The DP motor is 40' behind you and you can hardly hear it. Our DP motor is far quieter than our gas coach was. Besides the noise the ride is generally much better on a DP because of air ride. If you get a gas coach with air ride this goes away though.

2. Our DP has way more storage space than our gas coach. We get to take all the stuff we want / need. We have never filled our DP for any of our trips. With the gas coach we had storage issues.

3. Pulling our Jeep is easier with our DP. Our 505 hp 1550 torques CAT does not notice the Jeep 4 door behind us.

4. Our DP is insulated far better than our gas coach was in the walls and also double windows. This means much quieter inside than gas rigs without these things. Of course some gas rigs have double windows.

5. I love driving our current coach. I liked driving our gas coach. I look forward to the actual driving on the big DP. Whereas our gas rig was way way more affected by truck wash when they passed us, side winds, and winds of any kind. Our current rig feels like a locomotive going down the road.

6. My wife likes our current rig much more.

7. We have way more space inside than we did on our gas rig. Much easier to live in on a longer trip.

Hope our experience can be of some help.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil changes at speedco ?

Anyone used Speedco for Oil Changes on Class A Diesel Pusher or even Gasser ?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post

I generally do my own lube/oil/filters work. Last winter cold weather snuck up on me and I wasn't able to get it done. I decided to give Speedco a shot.

I overnighted at the Flying J at Brunswick, GA on I95 at the Florida line. At 7:30 AM I was at the Speedco just across the I95 interchange. It was a very good experience. They did the lube, oil and one fuel and one oil filter. They also caught a oil sample for me to send to Blackstone. 45 minutes later I was on my way.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post

I have used Speedco for routine maintenance since getting the MH in 2012. It costs me around $350 for the yearly maintenance, including Onan genny!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I would start by asking if your present coach is paid for or not. If it is, and it gets you from point A to point B more comfortably because of the mods you've made....then I'd keep it. You say you have more time to travel now, so what's your hurry? What's wrong with 40mph over mtn. passes. When I've traveled through the rockies in our DP I was at 40mph more than once. Better to have a coach you know, than one that could become a money pit.
I agree. If you are satisfied with your current coach in how it runs and are happy with the floor plan, I would suggest to continue with it and, as time permits, research other rvs in the event you decide to upgrade in the future.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
We recently made the jump from a 2005 Class C gasser to 2015 DP. The learning curve is pretty steep.

The difference in ride quality is significant. Air suspension makes driving a pleasure and not having the Ford V10 roaring under foot makes conversation in the cab area possible while traveling.

As far as maintenance and repairs, everything is more expensive on a DP. Performing your own maintenance will help.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have used Speedco for routine maintenance since getting the MH in 2012. It costs me around $350 for the yearly maintenance, including Onan genny!
X2- eliminates all of the stress of the annual service.

For the Allison,Coach Air Filter and Coolant changes...use Heavy Truck shop located in Fort Pierce Florida.

To the OP, if something major needs repair it will not be a cheap date, but if you choose the right service providers for preventive maintenance it need not break the bank or your patience!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
X2- eliminates all of the stress of the annual service.

For the Allison,Coach Air Filter and Coolant changes...use Heavy Truck shop located in Fort Pierce Florida.
Where is this Heavy truck Shop in Fort Pierce? Do you know its name?

Thanks