Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

Question for Inverter Guru

We have a new to us 05 Bounder DP. The PO got poed and threw out the inverter and iinstalled a cheap Chinese convertor! I have a new Xantrex ready to install. Fleetwood sent me the wiring diagram and it was exactly the way I thought it should be wired. I have installed an inveter once before and this is our 4th unit with an inverter. But looking at the schematic for the MH I can see that the output 110 volt goes directly through 2 breakers to the outlets that will be powered by the inverter. When you are plugged into shore power or on the Gennie what prevents backfeed 110 into the inverter power out side? Is there some type of diode or Transfer switch inside the inverter? I called Xantrex but that Company is now part of Schneider Electric and the tech guy new nothing. Told me to get an electrician!

Thanks

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

My dynasty has 2000 w and when on shore power or 10k gen the power flows thru the inverter circuit and it knows from 110 input to go to sleep and not compete and just charge the batteries back up

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

My 1998 Dynasty has an automatic transfer switch, The gen and inverter are hooked to the transfer switch and then it feeds the breaker panel. That way the gen does not back feed into the power lines.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

Moisheh,

The 2 breakers wired to the inverter should only supply 120volt from shore/generator power to the inverter.

When power is supplied through those two breakers to the inverter, the inverter just passes the power on through to the circuits that are wired directly to the inverter. If it is an inverter/charger, the inverter also starts sending 12volt current to the batteries to charge them.

When power is removed from those 2 breakers (i.e., the shore power or generator power is shut off), the inverter senses this and switches to drawing 12volt power from the batteries, inverting it to 120volt, and sending it down the circuits connected directly to the inverter.... but never back to the breaker panel.

Your breaker panel is not energized by the inverter. Only select circuits that are downstream of the inverter are energized.

This is how every pass-thru inverter/charger I have ever seen is wired.
Of course with that said yours will be different!

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The short answer is YES, the inverter has an internal transfer switch.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
A slightly longer answer is that many Xantrex inverters will make up the difference if shore power sags. Running power through the inverter is crucial for that feature.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
A slightly longer answer is that many Xantrex inverters will make up the difference if shore power sags. Running power through the inverter is crucial for that feature.
There is NO such feature on a Xantrex Inverter, or any other inverter.

It is possible to run all your ac appliances (with the exception of the air conditioners) from the inverter, while charging the batteries from shore power via a separate charger or converter, and thereby gain some isolation from sagging shore power.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
We have a new to us 05 Bounder DP. The PO got poed and threw out the inverter and iinstalled a cheap Chinese convertor! I have a new Xantrex ready to install. Fleetwood sent me the wiring diagram and it was exactly the way I thought it should be wired. I have installed an inveter once before and this is our 4th unit with an inverter. But looking at the schematic for the MH I can see that the output 110 volt goes directly through 2 breakers to the outlets that will be powered by the inverter. When you are plugged into shore power or on the Gennie what prevents backfeed 110 into the inverter power out side? Is there some type of diode or Transfer switch inside the inverter? I called Xantrex but that Company is now part of Schneider Electric and the tech guy new nothing. Told me to get an electrician!

Thanks
I was re-reading your post. The highlighed section caught my eye. This seems inconsistent with what I have seen, but mayne I'm not reading it right. If possible, posting the schematic would help alot!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I was re-reading your post. The highlighed section caught my eye. This seems inconsistent with what I have seen, but mayne I'm not reading it right. If possible, posting the schematic would help alot!
I think that part is referring to the two circuit breakers built into the inverter. Our Magnum doesn't have them, but they have other models that do. So there's two outputs from the inverter each with a 15amp (I think) breaker on it, so the wiring goes from there directly to each branch circuit (no breaker panel for the inverter).
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

Here is the PDF of the inverter wiring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 735Invertwir.pdf (104.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

vitwinwily: The 2 breakers on the front of a Xantrex are on the output side. Some units do not have them on the inverter but have a small box with 2 breakers. Shore power or the gennie goes to the input side. From the answers I think I understand that the inverter does not allow shore power to feed back on the output side.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
In our '00 Allegro Bus is a Xantrex inverter. I don't know about other coaches, but what vtwinwilly said kinda explains ours. And our inverter does exactly this:

It powers the microwave, the coffee pot, and the 110v outlets at the front of the motorhome (TV and all the other aud/vid gadgets).

And NOTHING else. No AC, no other outlets.

Two breakers, one for the microwave, one for the coffee pot and outlets, are fed from the inverter ONLY, regardless of whether I'm on shore power, battery power or generator power. How this is accomplished I'm not sure. But I know it's true because (A) my coach AND inverter manuals explain this, and (B) our inverter has a problem, because regardless of the power source, those 2 circuits just up and turn off - and back on- at random times, for no apparent rhyme or reason.

Anyway-- not sure this info is of any help?
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
There is NO such feature on a Xantrex Inverter, or any other inverter.
I had badly misunderstood the "Power Sharing" feature on our Xantrex inverter. Sorry for any confusion!
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
...When you are plugged into shore power or on the Gennie what prevents backfeed 110 into the inverter power out side? Is there some type of diode or Transfer switch inside the inverter? ...
Thanks
Yes! The inverter has an automatic transfer switch built in. FlyingDiver point this out but... at least I was stilll unclear if that was the right answer because I was still trying to figure out the question.

Now that I have looked at the schematic, re-read you question for about the 4th time. I think I finally understand!

Referencing the schematic, the circuit from the BREAKER BOX to the PRIMARY POWER input on the inverter will always ONLY allow current to flow from the breaker box to the inverter.

Tags
inverter