Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question in draining air tanks

In reading the owners manual on our 2006 HR Navigator, it states that the air tanks should be drained once a month. But it does not say anything about refilling them at this point in the instructions. In a totally different section it does talk about "external charging" of the air system. I'm assuming from what I read that air should be reintroduced into the tanks through the air dryer and not externally due to moisture. Can anyone shed any light on this? Only owned this coach a couple of months.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I could be wrong on your setup, but the draining of the tanks they are probably referring to is the manual purging of water condensation. There should be a purging lanyard for each tank, probably inside the front wheel well if it's a Freightliner chassis. You don't have to drain the tanks of all air, just open the purging valve long enough to blow out any collected water. The air tanks will automatically reinflate when you start the engine.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I could be wrong on your setup, but the draining of the tanks they are probably referring to is the manual purging of water condensation. There should be a purging lanyard for each tank, probably inside the front wheel well if it's a Freightliner chassis. You don't have to drain the tanks of all air, just open the purging valve long enough to blow out any collected water. The air tanks will automatically reinflate when you start the engine.
X-2, Lt Dan said this right, 100%!
Rail!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Lt Dan;2834451]I could be wrong on your setup, but the draining of the tanks they are probably referring to is the manual purging of water condensation. There should be a purging lanyard for each tank, probably inside the front wheel well if it's a Freightliner chassis. You don't have to drain the tanks of all air, just open the purging valve long enough to blow out any collected water. The air tanks will automatically reinflate when you start the engine.[/QUOTE

That makes sense. It's a Roadmaster but I bet that's what manual is referring to. Will take a look tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
In reading the owners manual on our 2006 HR Navigator, it states that the air tanks should be drained once a month. But it does not say anything about refilling them at this point in the instructions. In a totally different section it does talk about "external charging" of the air system. I'm assuming from what I read that air should be reintroduced into the tanks through the air dryer and not externally due to moisture. Can anyone shed any light on this? Only owned this coach a couple of months.
Not going to hurt anything leaving the tanks empty. I would'nt run the engine just to fill the air tanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
There is no need to "drain" the tanks unless you are planning to work on the air systems to repair the air bags, air dryer or brakes. Purging moister was already discussed by OP. The air compressor on the engine continously refill the system. when system is full you hear air self purging. " CSSISSHHHH" I would not leave the tanks set empty of pressure because it may take a while to refill to be able to release the park brake to move the MH. The refill by "external charge" is if you lost your air do to a brake in the lines or some other catastrophic event and needed to fill the air to release the park brake. this is done with road service or at a shop in the event the motor won't start.

Tags
tank