Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
Question on getting rid of air locks in coolant

Hi,
I just changed my hot water tank, which has a heat exchanger. In the process, I lost more coolant than I wanted. So I added coolant back into the reservoir, and when I started the engine I got a low coolant warning. I'm wondering if I have some sort of an air lock. Any idea on how to check and/or vent the air. Its for a 05 Itasca Horizon with a Cummins ISL 8.9L.

Thanks,

Darryl
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,259
Usually when revving the engine the water pump will push coolant through any air gaps. It will continue to cause the level to drop in the overflow reservoir so you'll have to keep adding coolant until all the air is displaced. Also turn dash heater on full heat to aid in circulation of coolant and removal of air.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
it is possible that the level in the radiator is too low to create enough suction to draw the fluid from the overflow tank, as intended. The original design was to allow any overflow from a full radiator be captured by the tank, and later drawn back to the radiator as it cools, but you probably already knew that.
Regardless, I suggest you wait till it is cool enough to safely remove the radiator cap and add more coolant there, repeatedly if necessary. Leaving the cap off while running the motor "should " allow any trapped air to burp out the uncapped radiator. Once it seems full, replace the cap and allow the system to become pressurized again. If necessary, you may add more coolant to the overflow tank and then watch it at shutdown to see if the level rises and then retreats upon cooling.

HERE: How The Motorhome Coolant Overflow Reservoir Works Is a more professional article on what I said above.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
D Lindy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,635
The coolant level sensor is in the reservoir tank so just keep adding coolant till the level stays constant between the cold and hot marks on the tank. Then run the unit on the road till it reaches operating temps and recheck the reservoir tank level.
__________________
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota(TOAD) 2005 Honda Shadow in TOAD
AF-1 braking system
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
wimberleyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 224
Darryl,

What kind of chassis do you have? On my Freightliner chassis there is a bleed valve in the line that is used to bleed the air out of the system. It is under the frame on the driver's side back by the engine. You open it and wait until all the air escapes and then close the valve. I did this when I flushed and changed coolant and have had no problems since. Information on how to do this came straight from a tech at FMC Gaffney.

WM
__________________
Wimberleyman
2001 Cruisemaster/300 Cat
wimberleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Darryl,

What kind of chassis do you have? On my Freightliner chassis there is a bleed valve in the line that is used to bleed the air out of the system. It is under the frame on the driver's side back by the engine. You open it and wait until all the air escapes and then close the valve. I did this when I flushed and changed coolant and have had no problems since. Information on how to do this came straight from a tech at FMC Gaffney.

WM
I have a freightliner chassis. I'll look tonight for that valve - thanks.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
it is possible that the level in the radiator is too low to create enough suction to draw the fluid from the overflow tank, as intended. The original design was to allow any overflow from a full radiator be captured by the tank, and later drawn back to the radiator as it cools, but you probably already knew that.
Regardless, I suggest you wait till it is cool enough to safely remove the radiator cap and add more coolant there, repeatedly if necessary. Leaving the cap off while running the motor "should " allow any trapped air to burp out the uncapped radiator. Once it seems full, replace the cap and allow the system to become pressurized again. If necessary, you may add more coolant to the overflow tank and then watch it at shutdown to see if the level rises and then retreats upon cooling.

HERE: How The Motorhome Coolant Overflow Reservoir Works Is a more professional article on what I said above.
Thanks for posting the link.

I'm not sure that I have a radiator cap though.

See the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reservoir.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	64407   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLuid level.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	64408  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoses.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	64409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	64410  

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,259
Your radiator cap would be on or near the top of your radiator. It serves as a pressure relief valve, you must have one somewhere. If you didn't remove it to fill coolant system back up to full and only added to the overflow tank, that could be why you have air in the system. Find the cap and fill radiator to the top. Put cap on and run engine. Coolant will be drawn from the overflow tank to fill in for air. After letting the engine cool, remove radiator cap and refill.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Your radiator cap would be on or near the top of your radiator. It serves as a pressure relief valve, you must have one somewhere. If you didn't remove it to fill coolant system back up to full and only added to the overflow tank, that could be why you have air in the system. Find the cap and fill radiator to the top. Put cap on and run engine. Coolant will be drawn from the overflow tank to fill in for air. After letting the engine cool, remove radiator cap and refill.
I THINK the top of the reservoir is the rad cap - it is a pressure cap - you can see it in the first picture that I posted. The actual rad doesn't appear to have one. Does that make sense?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,259
That could be, I thought the second picture was the same cap from a different angle and that isn't a pressure cap. If it is a pressure cap, it should have a lbs rating printed on it and a spring loaded flange under the cap when you remove it.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That could be, I thought the second picture was the same cap from a different angle and that isn't a pressure cap. If it is a pressure cap, it should have a lbs rating printed on it and a spring loaded flange under the cap when you remove it.
It does . . .
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
dvleemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heads up - a roadside breakdown lesson about your coolant hogdriver Entegra Owner's Forum 52 12-05-2014 10:18 AM
Air system question Bussinit Monaco Owner's Forum 15 09-12-2014 10:40 AM
Windows Leaking Air Electra 225 Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 04-06-2014 01:23 PM
HWH Air Leveling PDR John Newmar Owner's Forum 12 03-27-2014 08:20 PM
Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner 15,000 BTU adonh RV Systems & Appliances 4 06-27-2013 03:54 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.