Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
question on kitchen amenities for full timers

I am new to the forum and currently searching for my first motor home. I am partial to the older Country Coach Affinity's but am concerned about how equipped the kitchen needs to be for longer trips of a few months or more and possibly full timing in the future. The Affinity's I'm looking at (2000 - 2002 models) have typically a two burner stove and a microwave. Is this sufficient? What do you full timer's recommend as a well equipped kitchen and what model coach's have these amenities?
Jim in Fort Worth

Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think kitchen needs have changed much in the past 20 years. We live 4-6 months/year in our 2004 vintage coach that still manages to prepare meals decently! And we cook the same kinds of meals we enjoy at home too.

I think it is more your personal cooking style that dictates what appliances are needed. We removed the gas oven to get more storage space for pots & pans and the GE Profile convection/micro does a fine job of our baking needs. We do have a 4-burner cooktop and I can think of a handful of times in 10 years that 3 of the 4 burners were in use, but more often we want more counter space rather than more cooktop. Space is valuable in an RV, especially if you like to use electric cooking aids, e.g. electric fry pan, crock pot, coffee maker, toaster/oven, etc.Location of electrical outlets is also a factor.

So, the short answer is that the design of the particular galley layout in a given floor plan is quite important, but the age of the coach is not.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
I bought my wife an induction hot plate and she loves it.. The cover stays over the 3 burner range to provide more counter space.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, the biggest change we have made in the kitchen is installation of the induction cooktop!

Induction cooktop- INSTALLED!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We're not fulltimers (yet!) - but are spending months on end living in the coach these days. In addition to the convection/microwave and the propane fueled stove - we carry the following appliances:
  • Weber Q2200 Propane Grill - plumbed to use the coach propane as its fuel source
  • Coffee Maker
  • Toaster Oven (a "no frills" Hamilton Beach model).
  • Crock Pot (a small one)
  • Cuisanart Smartstick Blender
We made a pretty good investment at Bed, Bath and Beyond when outfitting the coach and ended up with what I'd consider "mid grade" cookware along with a pretty good "kitchen drawer" full of all the necessary spoons, ladels, spatulas, tongs and the rest of the little things that make a kitchen home.

When it's just the two of us - we use real dishes and cutlery. A couple different placements let us set a pretty nice looking table.

DW is slowly but steadily mastering the "convection" functions of the microwave - and is getting pretty good at actually baking in it! Between the grill (we grill a bunch!!!) and the rest of the stuff - there's not much we can't tackle in kitchen.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
we do not full time, but Dave loves to invite people to dinner and then tell me about it an hour before they arrive. During our 9 week road trip I cooked daily for us and the largest group of 8. I have 2 burner gas cook top and micro/ convection oven. It actually bakes quite well, I did use my crock pot a lot as well as outdoor grill, but I never felt stressed by lack of extra burners or lack of larger oven. I did have to plan a little better. Counter top space was a larger issue than anything else, but I soon felt very at ease cooking even for a group on short notice. One thing I found very useful was a large electric griddle for making breakfast outside on the picnic table for a group. Also an electric skillet was useful for those rare occasions when I needed an extra burner. Don't stress, you will adapt easily. Look for counter top space more than anything else.
Dave and Cathy
2005 Monaco Executive 43 PBQ
IlliniCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
What I like about the 4 burner propane stove is I can put a large griddle across 2 of the burners for say Apple pancakes while heating some syrup on another one. Once in a great while I'll throw some sausage patties on the last one if some one wants one. So, while most of the time we us one or two burners, every once in a while it is nice to have all to have all 4. I have had 4 burners since 1980. What we don't use very often except to keep stuff warm is the propane oven. They bake awful, no, worse than awful......But then once in a great while we get caught for several days in a rainstorm and sticking some fish an chips in the oven......... seems to make the rain a bit easier to take.
May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the "standard" 2 burner gas cooktop and an Advantium micro/convection in our Magna. Our last rig had a 3 burner cooktop and Advantium. We haven't had a MH with a gas oven since 2000 and haven't missed it a bit. HOWEVER, we are not full timers and eat out a lot too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you everyone for the good advice and information. This has been very helpful in schooling me on the basics. This seems like a great forum and hopefully I can contribute back some day!
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
Outdoors RV Owners Club
There's also a forum here called best gadgets or something like that. Worth looking at. One of their top picks is a pizza cooker that cooks pizza and other flat items on the counter. That and the induction burner, and a small but good coffee maker are what I want to add to my galley.
2015 Creekside 26RLS
2014 F-150 XLT
Western Washington
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are 6+ months in our MH. It has a four burner cook top that rarely get used and I don't think ever had had all four going. There are covers for it that match the counter and they are on most of the time. Most of our dinners are cooked on a table top BBQ outdoors. We have been buying cheap BBQs but think we might upgrade to a Weber Q or something since being close to the ocean most of the time the cheap ones rust out in about one season.

We bring along a large and small crock pot but they get stored in the basement cargo until needed. Same goes for the meat slicer we bring. It is great to slice up turkey breast rather than pay double at the deli.

I bring one of those bullet shaped electric smokers in the cargo too. Have to partially disassemble it to fit but it's worth it to me.

On the counter top there is a coffee maker, toaster and rice cooker. We love the rice cooker. Add rice, fill with water to the corresponding line then push the button and ignore it.

This past season we bought a single burner electric hot plate. It's great to blacken fish quickly without getting out the big LP burner.

For baking the GE microwave/convection oven works great.

It sounds like a lot of stuff but you have to eat and we enjoy cooking. Like going out too but not every day.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

Wife is a wonderful cook and baker and many weeks extended trips cooks everything from roast dinners to pies, cakes and more, evidenced by my waist line!

When we bought our Southwind coach in 2003 and lately looking at new coaches, priority for her every time is counter space in the kitchen when utilizing for prep, cleaning up as she goes and cooking on stove top. She is nervous of going microwave/convection having never cooked with that mode before in case it tastes or responds different than through a conventional gas or electric oven she is used to. She has recipes for regular and high altitude cooking, although heaven knows how a sealed oven can tell what altitude one is at baffles me.

I think within reason you adapt to what is available without too much negative effect.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
She is nervous of going microwave/convection having never cooked with that mode before in case it tastes or responds different than through a conventional gas or electric oven she is used to.
Man, does your situation sounds familiar! My wife has always been big on baking stuff - and was real worried about not having a real oven. When we were hitting the shows and walking thru one large DP after another - she just couldn't get over the fact that virtually none of the display models had a real oven. Then we started reading the issues folks who had them wrote about ... tiny size (mandating the use of tiny baking dishes, etc.) and challenges regulating the temperatures. In the end, we decided that we'd learn to work with the convection/microwave unit.

It turns out to have been a good decision. It did take some time to get used to it ... and we're still learning to master working with it. But, it does work ... and we're thankful for the extra space that not having a conventional oven brings.

Your about being able to adapt is on the money! You can adapt and without much of a negative impact at all.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

question on kitchen amenities for full timers

We have a 3-burner Atwood. It's perfect. A 9000BTU front, 2 6000BTU rear. But, we camp (fulltime) to be outdoors!
We have a Coleman camp stove and also enjoy cooking on the gas Weber, the charcoal hibachi, and over a good campfire. No mess in the kitchen.
Some may say "it's inconvenient", but it's easy and fun with all of the outdoor cooking tools on a slideout tray.
Still camping, after all these years!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

full time, full timer