Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie121 View Post
We want to purchase a Gas Class A with a Ford V10 with 362 hp. We will be towing a small vehicle. We would like some feedback on how it will pull in the mountains (Smokies).

Thank you!
If you want to stay up with the big dogs going up the hill you could always install a full Banks kit. I have been up and down the west coast (up to 7% grades) and have never had to pull it down to first gear pulling my 3300 lb toad. I would think you would see a huge difference if you are not satisfied with the V-10's performance. Mine is only a V-8 and I saw a night and day difference.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had 3 v10s - 99 - 06 - 12. Now the 99 was not as powerful it would pull a car on tow dolly but not as well as the later 2. We pull a 9500 # trailer or a Prius on tow dolly or a Smart car 4 on the ground. We are in FL now having came down thru TN on I24 pulling the Prius setup. I was able to pull all the grades without dropping below 4th gear. I did not use cruise on the passes and used tow haul going down them. I was able to pass semis on the grades but I was not running at the speed I normally run either. But I did not get below 40 mph either. We are very happy with the V10 setup on the unit.

Edit: With the Smart car behind you do not even notice it as it weighs under 2000 lbs and is one of the safest vehicles around per the insurance institute.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #17

Thank you all for your replies...we don't want to make a mistake by purchasing a gas coach when the diesel would be a necessity for the various terrains around the country. Does anyone have the Allegro Open Road 34TGA coach? This is the one we are considering. Thanks again
charlie121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
charlie121; I have an Allegro 32BA on a Workhorse chassis and have towed a Saturn SL2 behind me on this rig and a older Ford all over the US and Canada plus Alaska with no problems. There are 34TGA's all over the country as it is Tiffin's most popular gasser and I don't see a problem with that Ford engine or tranny. My buddy across the street has a new 34TGA and he is good with it.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #19

We've been to Yellowstone and all over the Blue Ridge and Smokies with no problem. I use the tow-haul feature and let it decide what gear to be in. It will get noisy if it shifts down to the lower gear, but you have no choice.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
We want to purchase a Gas Class A with a Ford V10 with 362 hp. We will be towing a small vehicle. We would like some feedback on how it will pull in the mountains (Smokies).

Thank you!

If our 2000 38' coach with the 310hp v10 can handle the Rockies and other mountain grades out west towing a 3000'b toad, you shouldn't have any problem with your 362hp engine.

Of course our speed up those grades will likely be much slower than yours..

Good luck on your new coach purchase

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #21

You should have no problems in the Smokies. The highest elevation is a little over 6000 feet. I towed a 3800 lb. Chevy Equinox through the Rockies this summer and found the higher elevations took a little more engine effort when the air got thin. Some of the really steep inclines 6-8 percent required a lower gear and an acceptance of a lower speed. As a personal preference I did not like to have my engine over 3500 rpm so I usually stayed in the slow truck lane. You should use the tow haul feature on the transmission and avoid the cruise control as you will suddenly find your engine dropping into a low gear at 5500 rpm. That gets very noisy. Going down hill can also get interesting as on steep declines you will have to use a combination of brake and engine braking. I think you should feel very comfortable with your rig. It might be a little challenging for you but the Smokies do not represent that much a challenge. A good supplimental braking system is a must in all towing situations with the size of your toad.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally I'd look for a gently used Diesel Pusher if you're considering a new 34'? A consideration is the altitude as well as the grade and the length of the grade? You might want to contact the engine manufacturer or do a search regarding the effects altitude might have on a gasoline engine at, say, 10,000 feet or more. Our first Coach was a Georgie Boy ('02) with 8.1 Vortec towing a Grand Cherokee. We avoided I-70 through Denver due to this consideration and took 40/20 instead. At the 7,000' level I could feel a difference in performance and always wondered how it would have been at 12,000 going 'over the top' on I-70? Oh, and, honestly??? That gas engine screaming at 4,000 RPM really does get on your nerves after awhile, especially if the motor is sitting right between you and the DW??
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
Personally I'd look for a gently used Diesel Pusher if you're considering a new 34'? A consideration is the altitude as well as the grade and the length of the grade? You might want to contact the engine manufacturer or do a search regarding the effects altitude might have on a gasoline engine at, say, 10,000 feet or more. Our first Coach was a Georgie Boy ('02) with 8.1 Vortec towing a Grand Cherokee. We avoided I-70 through Denver due to this consideration and took 40/20 instead. At the 7,000' level I could feel a difference in performance and always wondered how it would have been at 12,000 going 'over the top' on I-70? Oh, and, honestly??? That gas engine screaming at 4,000 RPM really does get on your nerves after awhile, especially if the motor is sitting right between you and the DW??
That is good advise, well said coached!
saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies...we don't want to make a mistake by purchasing a gas coach when the diesel would be a necessity for the various terrains around the country. Does anyone have the Allegro Open Road 34TGA coach? This is the one we are considering. Thanks again
Charlie,
We have a 2009 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37 QSB with the F53 Ford chassis and love it. We haven't towed anything with it yet but have 10,000 miles on it and all stock. We have been up I-77 3 times now and the last time ran 65 all the way up and had a full tank of gas and water. Again we love it!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone seems to underestimate the power of the Ford and GM big block engines. They do make their horsepower at higher rpm's and noise can be an issue if the coachbuilder did a poor job of soundproofing, But these engines are powerhouses.
The next time you are on a steep climb watch who is passing who.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Mr D, which manufacturer uses a 600 HP engine?
Newmar uses the ISX 600 HP in the King Aire. and I'm pretty sure Prevost and Newell would be two others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Everyone seems to underestimate the power of the Ford and GM big block engines. They do make their horsepower at higher rpm's and noise can be an issue if the coachbuilder did a poor job of soundproofing, But these engines are powerhouses.
The next time you are on a steep climb watch who is passing who.
That is exactly right. Do that you you will get a diesel. Pulling the smokies in second gear has to suck big time. No doubt the engine can handle it, it's just the noise and the lousy fuel mileage and having to be stuck in the slow lane. I like to be able to use cruise contol on the way up and then let my rig slow me on the way down. You can forget the pulls out west and I won't even go there. Just go around the steep grades because you never know. You sure don't want to find out and have to pull over. If you can't afford a diesel or you just don't want to spend the money for a diesel rig then by all means, don't sit home buy yourself a gas rig and get out there.
Is there anyone who thinks a gas rig is better? It seems like some folks want to push gas engines, why. The only advantage that I can see it the fuel is cheaper per gallon and the initial cost of the rig is less. With that said the diesel gets about 30% better fuel mileage making it cheaper per mile. Just the comfort of not running my engine into the ground is good enough for me to continue with a diesel.
If I was only using my rig every once in a while I would save money and get a gasser to save money. I think that is the bottom line here. Cost...
saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlife View Post
That is exactly right. Do that you you will get a diesel. Pulling the smokies in second gear has to suck big time. No doubt the engine can handle it, it's just the noise and the lousy fuel mileage and having to be stuck in the slow lane. I like to be able to use cruise contol on the way up and then let my rig slow me on the way down. You can forget the pulls out west and I won't even go there. Just go around the steep grades because you never know. You sure don't want to find out and have to pull over. If you can't afford a diesel or you just don't want to spend the money for a diesel rig then by all means, don't sit home buy yourself a gas rig and get out there.
Is there anyone who thinks a gas rig is better? It seems like some folks want to push gas engines, why. The only advantage that I can see it the fuel is cheaper per gallon and the initial cost of the rig is less. With that said the diesel gets about 30% better fuel mileage making it cheaper per mile. Just the comfort of not running my engine into the ground is good enough for me to continue with a diesel.
If I was only using my rig every once in a while I would save money and get a gasser to save money. I think that is the bottom line here. Cost...
Couldnt have said it better myself
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, towing