Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBet View Post
Charlie,
Congrat's on your new rig! We also have an Allegro 35QBA (2011). It's a great product and Tiffin stands behind their MH's. We purchased the rig several months ago and have been taking care of minor issues, furnishing the rig, weighing it and the toad and getting it ready for a trip to the Smokies next week. After reading many of the posts on this forum we choose a 2011 Jeep Wrangler for a tow vehicle with a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate with SMI Stay and Play braking. It's a great setup. We'll see how it takes the hills but don't anticipate any issues. Enjoy your Allegro.
FredBet thanks for your post! Do you feel any need to add a sway bar, front or rear stabilizers? Please let us know how your trip goes next week to the Smokies. We appreciate you sharing your choice for a toad too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Charlie121,

We just bought our 35QBA about 6 week ago. Brought it home (325+ miles) and then took it "camping" for four days a week later. We really love it!

IMHO, I don't know if it really needed it or not however I recently changed the shocks to Koni FSD's, all around, and installed a rear trac bar. I felt some sway with the passing 18 wheelers (trac bar) and the freeways in SoCal rattled the coach really hard (Koni's).

We're heading out again next week for 4 more days, up in the mountains this time, and we're towing our 3900 lb car on a tow dolly for the first time. This will be our first test since the changes so I'll have to report back and let you know if it improved anything.

Even if I didn't do those things we'd still like the coach. I'm sure you will too!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
Hi Charlie121,

We just bought our 35QBA about 6 week ago. Brought it home (325+ miles) and then took it "camping" for four days a week later. We really love it!

IMHO, I don't know if it really needed it or not however I recently changed the shocks to Koni FSD's, all around, and installed a rear trac bar. I felt some sway with the passing 18 wheelers (trac bar) and the freeways in SoCal rattled the coach really hard (Koni's).

We're heading out again next week for 4 more days, up in the mountains this time, and we're towing our 3900 lb car on a tow dolly for the first time. This will be our first test since the changes so I'll have to report back and let you know if it improved anything.

Even if I didn't do those things we'd still like the coach. I'm sure you will too!
Hi FredBet...how was your trip to the Smokies? We have taken a short trip with our new coach and loved it! We may take a trip to the Smokies in a couple of weeks and curious about how we'll do. We did purchase a tow vehicle; a Jeep Liberty. Hope to hear back from you! Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie121 View Post
Hi FredBet...how was your trip to the Smokies? We have taken a short trip with our new coach and loved it! We may take a trip to the Smokies in a couple of weeks and curious about how we'll do. We did purchase a tow vehicle; a Jeep Liberty. Hope to hear back from you! Thanks!
Hi Z714X4...just checking to see how your trip was after the changes with the tow behind you? We love our new coach
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi charlie121,

Wow, what a difference the changes made!! I'm a really happy camper! The expansion joints on the freeway were much better (50% better) and I feel the wind issue from big rigs has been 80% fixed. That's huge.

Overall I'm really happy with the ride and I'm not planning on doing anything else at this time. I need a few more trips as is and will see if anything additional is needed later.

Towing the Prius was easy and didn't bother me at all. Couldn't feel it on freeways or highways. I absolutely felt it on the hill I climbed as it was was really steep and short. Even on some of the 25 and 30 mph corners it didn't bother me though, I just kept the RPM's around 3-4.2k and kept chugging along.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #62
PAS

Towing with a gas engine

Gas or diesel, makes little difference. Make sure that your motorhome ratings allow for pulling your toad's weight. We live in California and have towed with both gas and diesel engines, both in motorhomes and pickups. I have found that downshifting manually, before the vehicle does it, helps to keep the rpm up. Before starting up the hill, increase speed as you can, take it out of overdrive. With a gas engine, I used to downshift from third to second at about 48 mph to maintain about 3,000 rpm. Use first gear as necessary. Do the same going down hill to save braking. Keep an eye on both your coolant and transmission temperatures. Do not worry, just observe. Take your time and use turn outs when appropriate. You are not in a hurry. The Smokys are beautiful, enjoy to the fullest. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB
We tow a 2009 Nissan Sentra on a toe dolly, with our V-10 and has no problems.
Does this toad require anything other than the dolly for towing? I thought the CVT meant you couldn't do that. I must be wrong.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie121
After a lot of research, including you kind folks who shared your thoughts, knowledge, and experiences, we have decided to purchase a 2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35QBA. Your posts will also help in our consideration of what to purchase to tow. We look forward to our new experiences ahead with our Class A.

Happy Trails!!!

P.S. We are trading '04 Chev Silverado 3500 2WD & '08 Summit Ridge Reserve 36RK for the Class A
Oh My. I'm trying to buy that very model myself. The dealer is arguing with the bank. We'll see

Let me know what you do about a toad.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Bought our 2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA in June. Very happy with performance. Several short trips (200 + miles) and passed through some of the famous Virginia mountains without issue. Did a long 12 hour (each way) to Michigan with some mountainous areas without issues. Haven't decided on a toad but leaning towards Jeep. Loving out Tiffin. Going up to the Blue Ridge mountains to see the leaves change.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4
Hi charlie121,

Wow, what a difference the changes made!! I'm a really happy camper! The expansion joints on the freeway were much better (50% better) and I feel the wind issue from big rigs has been 80% fixed. That's huge.

Overall I'm really happy with the ride and I'm not planning on doing anything else at this time. I need a few more trips as is and will see if anything additional is needed later.

Towing the Prius was easy and didn't bother me at all. Couldn't feel it on freeways or highways. I absolutely felt it on the hill I climbed as it was was really steep and short. Even on some of the 25 and 30 mph corners it didn't bother me though, I just kept the RPM's around 3-4.2k and kept chugging along.
How's it going Z714X4, sounds like you are still loving to Tiffin. Best regards
Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Yondog, Good to hear from you!

We sure are enjoying our 35QBA!

Only two issues so far, driver seat doesn't swivel and I have a small leak in the hydraulic system, in the bay where the pump is. I keep loosing a little fluid (in that bay) every trip and just need to take the time to search for the leak. Drivers seat can wait until I've got time to look at it and adjust. Other than that everything is great!

I'm a little envious of your 12 hour (each way) drive!! I would love to make a long haul like that to really get a feel for the coach. DW is just starting to talk about maybe going to Indiana to visit some relatives next spring... I hope she gets serious about it.

How about you, any issues or problems?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondog
Bought our 2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA in June. Very happy with performance. Several short trips (200 + miles) and passed through some of the famous Virginia mountains without issue. Did a long 12 hour (each way) to Michigan with some mountainous areas without issues. Haven't decided on a toad but leaning towards Jeep. Loving out Tiffin. Going up to the Blue Ridge mountains to see the leaves change.
Done deal. Our 2012 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA is ours. Hope to see you out there Yondog and all

BoogieMan
Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations BoogieMan!!

When do you pick it up?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4
Hi Yondog, Good to hear from you!

We sure are enjoying our 35QBA!

Only two issues so far, driver seat doesn't swivel and I have a small leak in the hydraulic system, in the bay where the pump is. I keep loosing a little fluid (in that bay) every trip and just need to take the time to search for the leak. Drivers seat can wait until I've got time to look at it and adjust. Other than that everything is great!

I'm a little envious of your 12 hour (each way) drive!! I would love to make a long haul like that to really get a feel for the coach. DW is just starting to talk about maybe going to Indiana to visit some relatives next spring... I hope she gets serious about it.

How about you, any issues or problems?
No problems yet from Tiffin but I sure caused a few. First the good news. MY WIFE actually fixed the drivers chair. Under the seat is a small cable that was stuck. While I snooping around the chassis, she examined the cable and freed it. Chair works fine. But we freed it up and lost power and couldn't adjust the seat. Apparently the power cord to the chair was wrapped around the base of the chair so when you turned it around to face the living area, the cord unplugged. Got that taken care of. I actually created a problem. While the slides were out I was looking at the hydraulic reservoir and noticed it was only half full ( I am not very handy ). So I filled up the reservoir!!!!. After we put the rig back in our storage area, I noticed oil coming from underneath the basement door housing the hydraulic system. I quickly reread the manual to find out the system is a closed system and when the slides are extended the reservoir circulates the fluid. Apparently when I closed the slides fluid overflowed into the basement. So I have now made a pact with my wife. That I WILL read every piece of documentation BEFORE I decide to FIX anything.
The coach is great and found a magnificent campground about 30 minutes from us on the Quantico Marine base. It's call Lake Lunga. It's only open to active and former Marines ( of which I was). It's actually on government property. If anyone reading this a former Marine, check it out.

Best to you guys. Be safe

Tags
gas, towing