Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlife View Post
That is exactly right. Do that you you will get a diesel. Pulling the smokies in second gear has to suck big time. No doubt the engine can handle it, it's just the noise and the lousy fuel mileage and having to be stuck in the slow lane. I like to be able to use cruise contol on the way up and then let my rig slow me on the way down. You can forget the pulls out west and I won't even go there. Just go around the steep grades because you never know. You sure don't want to find out and have to pull over. If you can't afford a diesel or you just don't want to spend the money for a diesel rig then by all means, don't sit home buy yourself a gas rig and get out there.
Is there anyone who thinks a gas rig is better? It seems like some folks want to push gas engines, why. The only advantage that I can see it the fuel is cheaper per gallon and the initial cost of the rig is less. With that said the diesel gets about 30% better fuel mileage making it cheaper per mile. Just the comfort of not running my engine into the ground is good enough for me to continue with a diesel.
If I was only using my rig every once in a while I would save money and get a gasser to save money. I think that is the bottom line here. Cost...
I don't think I am trying to push for a gas engine, just trying to say that many seriously underrate them. They are perfectly capable of handling all but the heaviest of coaches.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just want to jump in here with a couple of considerations. We had two gas coaches, a Georgie Boy ('02 / 36') and Winnie ( '05 / 39'). First off, we never should have bought the Winnie ... way too much Coach on way too little chassis (W24) leading to big time "tail wag", unless we were towing. Anyway, we took the GB out west and, although it laboured, it handled the deserts and mountains quite well considering. Maximum altitude was about 7000' and I wouldn't have wanted to go higher. Our Winnie on the other hand never made it out west. We went down I-81 from the border to South Carolina and after the first "big pull" I simply said "uh uh" ... I'm old enough to remember when a gas engine screaming at 4500 - 5000 rpm was either at the drag strip or some back road at 2.00 a.m. with another Guy in the other lane doin' the same thing?? We came back and I installed a complete Banks system which did make a difference although not enough for the money, in my opinion / experience. We took it down I-79 to 19 (big mistake) to I-77. For those of you who've done this route you know how hairy 19 is in West Virginia. That poor engine screamed like it was being beaten with a gas pump. Think of the stresses being exerted on the whole drive train in that circumstance too!? We came home and traded it that week on a 40' DP (Cummins 350 / 890) and, as they say, never looked back.
Another thing to note is that all the "mountain" ranges east of the Mississippi have a maximum elevation of about 3500' ... go out west to the real mountains and it's three times this, and for longer periods of time / distance as well!? The drivetrain in the DP is so much heavier, cooling capacity so much greater, and, extra bonus, all that stuff, including the noise, is about 35-40' behind you! Just some thoughts. We are now on our 3rd DP and with this one you can't even hear the motor even on the steepest grades.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
We did the rockies twice in a 99 pace arrow with 275 hp v10 and ultrapower tuner.

The tuner helped a lot, particularly pulling in a higher gear, keeping the revs and noise down.

Even without it, she handled the mountains just fine. Passed plenty of trucks, and a lot of dp's.

Noisy tho. Very very noisy. For this reason alone i'd never own another front engine motorhome.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP asked about gas engines and most of the answers are about diesels. Why all the imput if there is no gainful information regarding gas engines.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
We did the rockies twice in a 99 pace arrow with 275 hp v10 and ultrapower tuner.

The tuner helped a lot, particularly pulling in a higher gear, keeping the revs and noise down.

Even without it, she handled the mountains just fine. Passed plenty of trucks, and a lot of dp's.

Noisy tho. Very very noisy. For this reason alone i'd never own another front engine motorhome.
Don't blame the noise on the engine, blame it on the coachbuilder.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
The OP asked about gas engines and most of the answers are about diesels. Why all the imput if there is no gainful information regarding gas engines.
The answer is simple; there isn't anything you can do to change the "science" surrounding gas engines vs. diesel engines. Gas needs RPM to make horsepower, period. The engine is right there between the two of you and it's gonna get loud in there, and there's gonna be lots of stress on everything when operating in that range. Not so with diesel.
I'm assuming the OP wants the best motorhome experience he can get for the money he has? Today, unfortunately for the sellers, there are great deals on slightly used DP's and, in my opinion, provide the best answer / solution to his "gasoline" problem / question?
Sometimes the best answer to a problem is to leave it and go somewhere else?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless I misread the OPs question it was spacific to the V-10 . Unless something has changed it's still burns gas. I am not aware of any highway that the V-10 can not handle, including the 13 mile 10% grade cilmbing to the beartooth summit.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Unless I misread the OPs question it was spacific to the V-10 . Unless something has changed it's still burns gas. I am not aware of any highway that the V-10 can not handle, including the 13 mile 10% grade cilmbing to the beartooth summit.

It seems like everyone agrees that the v10 will pull wherever you need to go. It seems the only complaints are high RPMs, excessive noise, excessive fuel consumption and the threat of over heating due to the previous complaints. I didn't hear anyone say that it won't pull. Lots of folks just are not comfortable with their engine screaming between their legs and for those that are more power to you.
It sounds like Charlie is considering purchasing a gas MH and I didn't want to see him mislead. I bet there isn't the first person on here that would want to trade their diesel for a gasser but the converse would be true.
There have been lots of great comments and I feel like Charlie121 knows what he should do at this point.
As for me I prefer a diesel and won't look back. They shouldn't even offer a gasser in a class A but in a class c it may be OK.....
saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2
We have had 3 v10s - 99 - 06 - 12. Now the 99 was not as powerful it would pull a car on tow dolly but not as well as the later 2. We pull a 9500 # trailer or a Prius on tow dolly or a Smart car 4 on the ground. We are in FL now having came down thru TN on I24 pulling the Prius setup. I was able to pull all the grades without dropping below 4th gear. I did not use cruise on the passes and used tow haul going down them. I was able to pass semis on the grades but I was not running at the speed I normally run either. But I did not get below 40 mph either. We are very happy with the V10 setup on the unit.

Edit: With the Smart car behind you do not even notice it as it weighs under 2000 lbs and is one of the safest vehicles around per the insurance institute.
Same smart car results , love our toad
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It seems like everyone agrees that the v10 will pull wherever you need to go. It seems the only complaints are high RPMs, excessive noise, excessive fuel consumption and the threat of over heating due to the previous complaints. I didn't hear anyone say that it won't pull. Lots of folks just are not comfortable with their engine screaming between their legs and for those that are more power to you.
It sounds like Charlie is considering purchasing a gas MH and I didn't want to see him mislead. I bet there isn't the first person on here that would want to trade their diesel for a gasser but the converse would be true.
There have been lots of great comments and I feel like Charlie121 knows what he should do at this point.
As for me I prefer a diesel and won't look back. They shouldn't even offer a gasser in a class A but in a class c it may be OK.....
You have already lost that bet. Got rid of the diesel 2 years ago. Got tired of all the expense to maintain, and feeling like a rolling roadblock. I will have to admit it road beautifuly though.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #39

Quote:
You have already lost that bet. Got rid of the diesel 2 years ago. Got tired of all the expense to maintain, and feeling like a rolling roadblock. I will have to admit it road beautifuly though.
There is one in every crowd . I am sure you are the exception to the rule, anyone else.
I am not sure the maintenance should have cost you anymore than the gasser but I will take you word for it. There really isn't much to do on a diesel.
Are you saying (rolling roadblock) that you didn't have enough power to pull your load?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There is one in every crowd . I am sure you are the exception to the rule, anyone else.
I am not sure the maintenance should have cost you anymore than the gasser but I will take you word for it. There really isn't much to do on a diesel.
Are you saying (rolling roadblock) that you didn't have enough power to pull your load?
Your arrogance is not necessary.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #41

I some times feel like going from my Phaeton to a simple gas class C to keep cost down and keep life simple. Time will tell.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Your arrogance is not necessary.
Aren't we sensitive? One in every crowd means that all rules or statements do not appy to everyone or every circumstance. That is all there is to it.

I can remember back in the days of pop-up campers and whatever you were driving at the time would pull it just fine It seemed like there was virtually no maintenance. You put it in the back yard and never touched it until you were ready to use it and it was ready to go. Since we started taking the Hilton with us it seems like there is always something to replace, clean, repair or check.

Sorry that I digressed and hi-jacked this thread. I do feel like we provided Charlie with lots of information to digest though.

Tags
gas, towing