Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #15

i don't recall ever bringing our slide in

If the topper ever has an issue with the wind I guess I'll go up and tighten the tension springs

I replaced the topper material once but at that point it was 14 years old

I'm certain we've been in our share of wind since we received the coach in December 1996
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I'm reading this thread with some interest because my slide toppers are completely rotted away. While on the roof last weekend, I cut the remaining shreds of material and they are now flapping in the breeze. If they actually covered the full length of the slide, I would probably install new cloth, but they don't. The width of the topper, in my mind, should be wider than the slide itself, similar to a window awning on the S&B. This extra width would go a long way toward preventing debris and water from accumulating on the slide roof. It seems like an awful waste, to me, to go to all that trouble and expense and not make the darn thing wide enough to provide any more than partial shade. I'll probably remove them and go without.

I don't understand why they did not cover the full width of the slide-out. Any possibility that a previous owner had them replaced and ordered the wrong width? Mine are about 3" wider than the slide-out on each end.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't understand why they did not cover the full width of the slide-out. Any possibility that a previous owner had them replaced and ordered the wrong width? Mine are about 3" wider than the slide-out on each end.
The only time I have seen them narrower (my old ones) was when they shrunk. My new topper extends at least 2 inches on both sides. When I ordered the new material I had it cut to fill the roller minus 1 inch for possible uneven winding.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
The only time I have seen them narrower (my old ones) was when they shrunk. My new topper extends at least 2 inches on both sides. When I ordered the new material I had it cut to fill the roller minus 1 inch for possible uneven winding.

I just replaced two of mine, and I think they had me measure the available space end-to-end on the roller, and they made the fabric maybe 1/2" short on each end.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
i don't recall ever bringing our slide in

If the topper ever has an issue with the wind I guess I'll go up and tighten the tension springs

I replaced the topper material once but at that point it was 14 years old

I'm certain we've been in our share of wind since we received the coach in December 1996
We have one slide topper that is 27 foot long, it can catch some wind.

Once, in WY, a sudden 45 mph wind gust hit just right and it pick the full wall slide up. Moved the top in about 4 inches, with the wife and I sitting on the loveseat. That slide weighs 5000 lbs empty. It's the fastest the slide has ever come in.

It's the only slide we put in for storms. Just to much surface area on the topper.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
We have one slide topper that is 27 foot long, it can catch some wind.

Once, in WY, a sudden 45 mph wind gust hit just right and it pick the full wall slide up. Moved the top in about 4 inches, with the wife and I sitting on the loveseat. That slide weighs 5000 lbs empty. It's the fastest the slide has ever come in.

It's the only slide we put in for storms. Just to much surface area on the topper.

WOW! I bet that got your attention!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #21

Question re lack of slide toppers.

Beats me why they couldn't have added six inches to each end. Awnings are the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428511101.828038.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	90900Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428511119.261274.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	90901
Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
I have a 1999 Commander. They are very solid units built here in Manitoba Canada. They are in a Mennonite community and have a lot of solid woodwork in it. They are still in business but do not build A class any more (too bad). They are very well insulated and they use quality components and fabrics. My 1999 is still in very good overall condition.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #23

Question re lack of slide toppers.

A bit of pucker factor, MShappycampers.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #24

Getting back to the original question ... I have a very old style Carefree that has the topper and the awning integrated. I can't imagine not having a topper and awning. They both shed a LOT of water and also provide needed shade.

Tags
slide