Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Re: Spare location on Suncruiser

Hi all, I have a question that is specific to the 2002 Itasca Suncruiser model 32v. We bought the MH in July and noticed that the spare tire was shoved into a side compartment. It takes up just about the whole compartment. We figured that the spare must have originally been under the MH, but was later moved to accommodate a tow hitch. We are going to have a new mounting made so that we could get the spare put back under the MH. There seemed to be some conflicting info in the owners manual that indicated that the spare could have intentionally been placed in the side compartment on this model. Its odd because there is no place for it in there. It looks like its just shoved in at an odd angle like and afterthought. I was going to call Winnebago for clarification, but my husband said to ask you all. He is betting you know the answer. Any other 2002 Suncruiser owners out there? Thanks in advance.

Tamara & Monty
2002 Itasca Suncruiser
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which chassis do you have - Ford or Workhorse?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Chevy Workhorse.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2008 Windsport coach sits on a Ford 2007 F53 chassis. We had a rack made under the chassis behind the gas tank and bought a new tire only. Have read threads of how people had no spare and had tough time getting one out on the road.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5

In the days when mechanics, and tire shops/help were far and few in between, a spare tire was really necessary, and you had to change it yourself, including truckers.

Now-days a spare is not necessarily needed as a phone number is. Desire to have, and need to have are now two different things.

Although I CAN change my 250 lb 22.5's, I do not desire to, I just use my cell phone to change ii, although one time I was in the forest with no reception so I took off the tire/rim, loaded it in my toad, and drove to a tire shop for a repair. I have much more important things to haul without screwing around with a spare tire, I have a blueboy and garden hoses in my spare tire compartment. IMHO

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I had a rig with a changeable spare, it was a ford f53, and it had a cable hoist arrangement between the rear frame rails, aft of the fuel tank. Worked really well.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update-- I called winnebago and they searched by serial number and said the spare should be installed under the MH. He said the info on the system stated "hitch exterior rear with spare tire bracket". Funny how the underside does not show any sign of there ever having been a bracket. Oh well, thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleValley2 View Post
Update-- I called winnebago and they searched by serial number and said the spare should be installed under the MH. He said the info on the system stated "hitch exterior rear with spare tire bracket". Funny how the underside does not show any sign of there ever having been a bracket. Oh well, thanks for the feedback.
It was a rack with a couple of metal tabs that fit into slots in a bracket on the frame. The rack tips up and a couple of bolts secure it.
Here is one picture of the rack. The bolts are on the left side and the tabs are on the right side.

and here is another
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It was a rack with a couple of metal tabs that fit into slots in a bracket on the frame. The rack tips up and a couple of bolts secure it.
Here is one picture of the rack. The bolts are on the left side and the tabs are on the right side.

and here is another
Thanks so much! You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. It makes more sense now. I appreciate the time it took for you to take and post the pictures!

Tags
suncruiser